• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980s boats...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980s boats...

What's the deal with people still looking to buy boats from the 80s??? Isn't there anything from the 90s selling for a few bucks more or is the price difference that drastic???
    Last edited by HollaGeo; January 30th, 2011, 04:16 AM. Reason: Grammar

Re: 1980s boats...

It is probably because there are still good boats around from the 80s at a good price.

I have an 80s aluminum boat and really enjoy it, it does everything a new boat would do at a fraction of the cost.

I think too with the country just coming out of what we did people might be a little gun shy about popping alot on a boat right now so they get an older one to hold them over for a couple years till they can move up.
    GO IRISH!!!!

Comment

I think you buy a boat that fits your needs best.
      The Aluminum Boats I see built today are all open bow boats that I would not take into the Pacific Ocean.
      Average Seas are over 6 feet all summer long. If I did take an open bow boat out into the pacific I would want it to be self Bailing.
      I will not launch my 21 foot Aluminum boat in the Pacific if Seas are over 8 and 8 seconds or less. This means the Swells are steep or Very Steep and with the normal after noon winds around 25 knots you will have white caps every other swell is less than 10 minutes and building seas.

In winter with storms way out to Sea I have been out in Seas 12 but 15 or 20 seconds apart and that is fun and safe.
      Have some fun and enjoy the Great Outdoors.
      Love to fish out of Bodega Bay, California.

Comment

I can't speak about other brands, but I personally prefer most of the '80s Boston Whaler models over the revised designs offered in the '90s. I believe they are better boats.
        sigpic

Comment

Perhaps there was a production boom in the 80s placing more of them in todays used market.

Comment

Mines a '72 ! Maybe some day I'll move up to an '80s !!!

Comment

I just like the looks of 80 boats better. Yes they have rot but so do a lot of 90s models. Why pay an extra couple grand to have a newer boat you still have to cut apart?

Comment

i have a 1988 aluminum lund boat and love the layout of it. wouldnt want to trade up

Comment

i'm a school teacher netting about 28 a year, last year we bought an 86 2150 bayliner sunbridge that came with a good trailer, clean hull, good transom, brand new volvo outdrive and a newish 350. the inside upholstery was new. the only thing it needed was a windshield which i got off of a similar bayliner for 250 shipped.

we payed 2600 for our boat. i couldn't have done that with a 96.
                  1986 Bayliner 2150 Sunbridge (aq225e/275)

Comment

I started with a 60's boat, then a couple of 70's boats, tried to make the leap into the 90's, but fell short and got an '89 lol
                    Actually, I didn't really like the 90's cruisers as much because the style seemed to be minimal cabin windows. Some are like going into a cave. When I'm at the lake, it's good to be able to enjoy the scenery, even when down below, so the 80's Doral fit the bill, even the aft cabin has 3 windows.(2 opening ports and a hatch)
                    sigpic 1985 Thundercraft Magnum Express
                    260 hp MerCruiser

Comment

Because 80s boats are far more appealing than the visually boring boats of the 90s and beyond. There's no way I could stand having boring white exterior/interior gelcoat, white vinyl cockpit, and white vinyl cabin interior. Couldn't stand a vinyl cabin interior period. Yes, its cheaper to produce - and looks it. I love the look of colors and teak in the cockpit area.
                      IF I ever decide to upgrade from the Nova II, I'd be looking for either a Scarab II or Scarab Type S, both a few years older than the Nova II.
                      1978 Glastron/Carlson CV23
                      429/Berkeley JE

Comment

I'm talking about cruisers.

Comment

Originally posted by HollaGeo View Post
                          I'm talking about cruisers.
                          All the points made already can be said for cruisers too. If someone likes the boat, can afford it, and is comfortable with any repairs needed, whats the big deal if it's an 80s hull? I just bought a 1990 Donzi at a great price, if she was an 1985 I still would have bought her without hesitation. A well taken care of 1985 boat can be a much better deal than a 1995 that has been beat to crap. It all really depends on the boat and the PO in my opinion. I have seem some 90s boats listed thousands more than 80s boat that look to be in better overall shape.
                          Jerry

12' 1969 Monark
                          http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...de-636668.html

25' Sea Ox 250c
                          http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...sh-589786.html

Comment

Originally posted by HollaGeo View Post
                            What's the deal with people still looking to buy boats from the 80s??? Isn't there anything from the 90s selling for a few bucks more or is the price difference that drastic???
                            Snob!
                            1995 SeaRay BR200 5.0 Alpha I "Texas Belle"
                            1999 Starcraft Aurora 2415 5.7 Alpha I "MO Belle"

Comment

What's wrong with a boat from the 80's? Anyone want to buy mine?
                              Benjamin Krein
                              Floats: 2008 Four Winns H200
                              Restoration: 1980 19' Century 190 Restoration
                              Tows: 2005 Nissan Titan SE

Comment

Working...
                              X