Scupper valve ?

Beezer

Cadet
Hi there,
Any one have any knowledge with scupper valves?
I have an 85 Sport Craft 205 OSFF with a 4cyl. stern drive, and the scupper valves seem to be at the water line and let small amount of water in, enough to power the bilge pump every 15 min.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

cr2k

Captain
Re: Scupper valve ?

Need pictures because what you are describing as you describe it doesn't sound right. A Scupper is a thru hull fitting usually on the bottom of the boat to take water in, often for the cooling system or bait/live tanks. The Seacock Valve is the valve that goes on the scupper so it can be shut off if needed while in the water for repairs, etc.

Beezer

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Commander,
Best described as a round 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 bezel with an one way rubber flapper in the center, to draw water out of the boats cockpit if rain or waves enter. Located at the boats transom one port and one starboard.
Sorry but I had a little trouble adding a picture. If you google, (scupper valve) there are pictures in the net. I you have the time. Thanks again,

NYBo

Admiral

That's too much water incursion, IMO. The rubber flap deteriorates and no longer seals properly. You may wish to try scuppers that use a ball instead, like these.

Beezer

Cadet

Thanks for the info, I'll look in to changing them out to that type.

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem witha an old skiff I had. The holes were too big to find plugs for, so I made some. Out of Golf balls and duct tape! I put a screw eye in it as well so I could pull em out if need be. Only had an issue when the boat was loaded down. They worked well.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How does the water coming into cockpit drains get into the bilge?

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There was an access hatch at the transom dead center in the deck. when the boat would rock back and forth while fishing, water would slosh back and forth over the hatch. Due to its age, the hatch was not completely waterproof. Water would accumulate quickly if you did not pay attention. Plugging the SCUPPERS made all the difference in the world.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Hi there,
Any one have any knowledge with scupper valves?
I have an 85 Sport Craft 205 OSFF with a 4cyl. stern drive, and the scupper valves seem to be at the water line and let small amount of water in, enough to power the bilge pump every 15 min.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have a similar boat, an '84 Sportcraft 222 OSFF, and a neighbor of mine also has a 222, but his is an '86. It seems this boat sits low in the stern naturally. The actual waterline near the transom is about 2" above the top of the waterline stripe they put on at the factory. However, neither of ours is low enough to have water coming in through the scuppers during normal operation. You can sort of make out the shadow of my scupper, and the distance from the water (stain) in this pic;
2011-01-01170721.jpg

As you can see, there is a decent distance, about 3" or so. Based on what you're saying, I think you have a problem with something else, which is causing your stern to sit low enough to allow water intrusion. See if you can access any flotation foam (good luck, I can't in mine without cutting something open), and make sure your livewells are empty. Check everything you can think of for water retention.

That's a good question. Assuming the design of his boat is the same as mine, either he is taking on lots of water, or their is something missing/removed around the doghouse that would allow for the water to access the bilge. On mine, there is a 1"+/- wood (teak?) trim piece around the engine compartment that acts as a dam.

If your bilge pump is coming on every 15 minutes, I'd also check the bellows, and check the hull as a precaution.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Scuppers like those tend to let water in when the rubber flapper gets older and starts to cup. There is no need to change it out to the check ball style, just replace the rubber instert. They are available at most marine stores or google them. I replaced mine for around $6.00. Problem solved.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Scuppers like those tend to let water in when the rubber flapper gets older and starts to cup. There is no need to change it out to the check ball style, just replace the rubber instert. They are available at most marine stores or google them. I replaced mine for around $6.00. Problem solved.

That was my initial thought, that the scuppers were worn (and they probably are), but.... I had one missing scupper flap all summer, and never had much water come in, even anchored in 3-4' swells. That's why I think he has a bigger issue then just a worn flap. It really seems to me that he's dragging too low in the stern.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The problem is a worn flap. The bigger problem is deck plate that leaks enough that the bilge pumps comes on.

My scuppers are on the water line. I rarely if ever get water backing up into the cockpit from them. Even if water was backing up, the only way water could get into the bilge is if the hose connecting the cockpit drain to the scupper failed or the scupper itself failed.

Beezer

Cadet
RE : scupper valve

RE : scupper valve

There is a drain under each scupper, that drains down into the engine compartment, where the bilge pump is mounted under the engine to the bace. I could see the water coming in the valve.

Beezer

Cadet
RE: scupper valve

RE: scupper valve

Yea I called a marina in my home town, did't really know what I was talking of ?.
Originally I bought the boat from someone who stored it tilted up without a cover for 3 years. snow and ice! My first boat with scupper valves, 1st time I launched it, I heard the sound of water draining and the pump came on NOT GOOD! they where formed open, my guess from freezing open. So when I had no help from the marina, I took them off and turned them around, but still leak some. I found them on the net, THANKS !

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Fireman431

Re: Fireman431

Originally I bought the boat from someone who stored it tilted up without a cover for 3 years. snow and ice!
If you are referring to your current boat here, that could be part of the problem. The floatation foam may be waterlogged, adding weight to the stern.

Beezer

Cadet
Re: scupper valve

I'm going to try to add a picture, is it posable it was installed to low ? Because the water line is rite at the bottom of the valve or I guess it could be water logged, not that I want to believe it. you may be rite.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

For what it's worth, I have the ball check valve type and they don't provide a 100% seal either. If the boat is under way, water will drain and if it's at rest with no one on board it will drain as well. However, if you stand in the stern at rest, you can expect a bit to seep into the cockpit around each ball as they bob around in the valves. If there's a lot of weight in the stern, the water pressure snugs them up tighter and they seal better.

donnymac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

+1 The water in the bilge is confusing me though.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: RE : scupper valve

There is a drain under each scupper, that drains down into the engine compartment, where the bilge pump is mounted under the engine to the bace. I could see the water coming in the valve.

Do the drains look original? My boat (and remember, it's pretty much the same boat) has nothing below/in front of the scuppers inside the boat, other than a 'valley' that acts as a funnel to direct water into (out through) the scuppers. I'm wondering if a PO 'added' the drains because the water coming in was a problem, and this way it would be pumped out by the bilge pump. Pictures would be really helpful.

Beezer

Cadet

Hey thanks to all for the replies !
I had a hard time with adding a picture, I will try to figure this out, its not very user friendly.
First time I had a problem adding a picture to anything, I must be missing a step ?