What Size Anchor Line?

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We ordered our new 22 foot deck boat/bowrider. It weighs 3705 Lbs. dry so I figure on average, with people on board, fuel, water, etc., it will be about 5,000 Lbs or so. I have 3/8 inch anchor line from my old 18 foot bowrider. Do you think I should get something bigger like 1/2 inch line? Thoughts?

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: What Size Anchor Line?

It will be easier to pull up the larger anchor and longer chain you should be looking at for your bigger boat with the 1/2" line...:eek:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Completely agree here, plus its a new boat may as well get new line, good time to upgrade, I have also found that while 1/2" line carries a bunch more water it sure makes it easier to pull the anchor up without chewing up my hands, its just easier to get a handle on.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I prefer 1/2" rope for anchorline. Your new boats size/weight makes 3/8" perfectly viable. If you're going to be anchoring in deep water, and will have several hundred feet of anchorline onboard, then I would go with 3/8". If your going to have no more than 150' of anchorline, then I would go with the 1/2". It's overkill, but it won't hurt.
Congratulations again!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

1/2" is the Only way to go..

Aye you can pull your cleats off with 3/8" rode..but 1/2" with 6' 3/8 chain will take you allmost anywere..

I had 300' 1/2 rode and 8' 3/8 chain on my Catalina 30.

YD.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Use what you have until you decide on a windlass and then get what fits it. I use 100' 3/8" with 5' of 5/8" chain rode to a 15# navy on my 19 with bow and helm controls for the winch. The chain rode is oversized because of space limitations between the winch and the bow roller in the pulpit.

On my F26, I have 150' of 5/8" with 15' of 3/8" chain to a 13# Danforth style.

NYBo

Admiral

Half-inch doesn't have enough stretch, and will put undue strain on your mounting point and/or will tend to pull the anchor free in swells or wakes from passing boats. Stick to 3/8" for a boat your size. If you follow the links NHGuy and Pez Vela, you'll find that 3/8" is what they recommend also. Bigger is NOT better in this case.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Half-inch doesn't have enough stretch, and will put undue strain on your mounting point and/or will tend to pull the anchor free in swells or wakes from passing boats. Stick to 3/8" for a boat your size. If you follow the links NHGuy and Pez Vela, you'll find that 3/8" is what they recommend also. Bigger is NOT better in this case.

Your theory is right on; but dry, 4000lbs would barely stretch the 1/2" rode. When it's wet, though, I would think that it would stretch well enough... Granted, not as much as 3/8"; but I would think it would stretch enough.
I have been wrong once or twice in my life... Maybe even three times... Nnnaaahh!!!... Don't think so:rolleyes:

NYBo

Admiral

Actually, it's Chapman's theory, not mine, but it makes complete sense to me.;)

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Actually, it's Chapman's theory, not mine, but it makes complete sense to me.;)

What's the minimum weight/size for 1/2" rode? Chris' 22' boat will be about 5000lbs loaded... Is that close?

NYBo

Admiral

What's the minimum weight/size for 1/2" rode? Chris' 22' boat will be about 5000lbs loaded... Is that close?
Not even close. The chart says 1/2" is for boats 41 to 60 feet (7/16" for boats 36 to 40 feet). Kind of surprising, actually.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Not even close. The chart says 1/2" is for boats 41 to 60 feet (7/16" for boats 36 to 40 feet). Kind of surprising, actually.

Very suprising... I don't recall it being that much of a difference. I also must have been looking at a different published chart, because the one I saw went in 1/8" increments, not 16th" increments.
Thanks Bo:D

NYBo

Admiral

The chart I'm referring to is in Chapman Piloting & Seamanship.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

The chart I'm referring to is in Chapman Piloting & Seamanship.

The book's been mentioned on the forum recently. It's been on my wish list since checking into it. I'll have it before the spring. I've also been looking for a new first run edition (1975). If you happen to come across one, please drop me a line (no pun intended)... but now that I think about it:rolleyes:

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

The book's been mentioned on the forum recently. It's been on my wish list since checking into it. I'll have it before the spring. I've also been looking for a new first run edition (1975). If you happen to come across one, please drop me a line (no pun intended)... but now that I think about it:rolleyes:

Hey Chris,

I think this may be the second time I've "Jacked" one of your threads... What I meant was... Uh, uh... Yeah, uh, ANCHOR LINE... Uh, uh... Rode, uh... 5000lbs, right? Now let's see, uh... 22' boat, right? Uh, hmmm... 3/8 chain, and uh... Yeah... That's right:rolleyes:

Seriously, man... Sorry. It's so easy to go off on tangients at the expense of others!!!:facepalm:

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

The addition of the chain rode at the end of the line acts as a shock absorber preventing the anchor from being ripped loose by wave action. This also helps negate the importance of the line stretch. BTW - an F26 is 26' at the waterline and almost 31 overall. My cleat are also oversized and secured through backing plates. If one of them rips out, I'm in for some serious deck damage.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Quality and load rating of anchor rode varies by manufacturer, and each will have their own recommendation for boat length/weight vs. diameter of the line. That said, 3/8" of good quality rode should be plenty for your size boat. Chain is also recommended.

One last point- if you're considering 1/2", make sure your bow cleat is big enough for it. At least 8", if I recall the specs correctly. You have to be able to get a couple turns of rope around the 'horns' in order to secure the rode properly.

My .02