Dock Line Terms and Questions

sasto

Captain
1...What is the name of the looped end of a line opposite of the bitter end?

2...Where can I find instructions on making this looped end with single braid?

I have a couple marlinspikes....and forgot how to use them. I've done several double braids, never a single.

3...Is it easier?

Thanks!

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Dock Line Terms and Questions

Isn't it called "the standing end"? or is that only once it's tied onto something?

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Yeah boaters tend to be verbose unneccesarily. Seems every square inch of whatever has a different name, most redundent. Your brain will explode trying to remember all of it.

Splat

Lieutenant

Lots of goood gooood videos on you tube of it. Search for rope splicing.

Bill

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I did just that and then priced the tools, $40 for a complete tool kit from 1/4" to 1/2" add another $10 for the whipping twine and needle. Could come in handy but its a pretty narrow scope for the tools....

The process looks simple enough though just like anything else patience pays I'll bet

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Sasto,
There's an incredible book which I've had for many years. As a United States Army Ranger, I earned some Kudos for sharing this book with my platoon. It's called "On Rope" Get the book. You will absolutely LOVE IT!!!

PS: Your marlin spikes are for separating the twines of the rope to facilitate braiding the individual twines back into the rope to form your splice. A riggers knife is a great tool to have on the boat and with your ropes off the boat, too. It's got a spike and a blade.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

http://www.boatingbookstore.com/shop/pv1.aspx?c=23&m=2&gclid=CKPkxOH6kqYCFcbsKgod_AmFng

I believe it is the working end you are referring to

I had bought a book a while back and the wife caught me practicing and told me she would have none of that and the book dissapeared on me:eek:
there I go miss-understood again

He was indeed refering to the working end... But he was refering to the working end, already worked into an eye splice. An eye splice is the end of the rope formed into an exagerated "Eye of a needle", so to speak. This is done by braiding the working end back into itself. You start by separating the 3 twines of the rope for several inches, depending upon the thickness of the rope. You bend the unseparated portion to the appropriate size loop, and braid the twines back into the rope to form a strongly woven, "locked" beginning of your eye splice. The marlin spike is a tool to make it easier to temporarily separate the twisted rope to facilitate braiding your splice. Be careful not to loosen the individual twines too much; and be careful not to pierce the individual twines with the spike as this will break down the integrity of the rope. Don't worry if you do it a couple times. It's OK. Splicing takes some practice, like any other form of art. When you splice the working end of a rope without the eye, it's called an end splice. This makes the end of the rope extremely durable and when done properly, will not fray.

PS: Is that a true story about the wife and the book?... It's hysterical!!!

sasto

Captain

Thanks for the replys guys. Eye splice was what I was looking for. Suffering insomnia tonight, going to tie some knots after reviewing some videos........Again, Thanks!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The only tool you need for splicing rope is a scratch awl and a little tape for the ends of the rope. Use the awl as you would a marlin spike. I have been splicing rope for 20 years like this and it works great. Splicing is a little tough to learn at first, but after you learn the wrapping pattern, it goes surprisingly quick.

sasto

Captain

The only tool you need for splicing rope is a scratch awl and a little tape for the ends of the rope. Use the awl as you would a marlin spike. I have been splicing rope for 20 years like this and it works great. Splicing is a little tough to learn at first, but after you learn the wrapping pattern, it goes surprisingly quick.

Thanks Fireman431, I have a long fid from when I spliced double braid, this is my first time at single braid, much easier and faster. Have a good day!