• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

hp rating on jon boat

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hp rating on jon boat

Just picked up a jon boat and theres no tag to be found. pretty sure its 12' didnt get a chance to measure it. was wondering if the max was 9.9 or something is around 5

Re: hp rating on jon boat

well i know a little something about jon boats see the back in the photo i can see theres holes there that were a motor plate goes you dont need it but if you want and thing over 10hp you do i would probally go with a 8 hp or less

Comment

All depends on how far and how fast you want to go. Just looking at the boat maybe a 10 or 15HP would be sufficient. Good Luck!

Comment

don't go over 9.9 and less will work fine.

replace your transom board--2 pieces of 3/4" marine plywood should do. Planks split. reseal all the holes while you're at it.
        A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by Home Cookin' View Post

replace your transom board--2 pieces of 3/4" marine plywood should do. Planks split. reseal all the holes while you're at it.
          deffently redo the wood but look around for a metal plate acout a quarter inch thick and bolt that on the out side of the transome that will give you more range of moter size and i know for a fact that that doesnt take over a 15hp i have a john boat with the wood on the insize and had a plate but lost bolts but no big deal i just us a 8hp and that does amazing on it just dont go out on a windy day we had the 8hp going full throttle and a gust of wind got under us and the boat went a bout a 35deggree angle scared me to never do that agian

Comment

Originally posted by Home Cookin' View Post

thats what i figured, just was wondering cus some jon boats on lowe.com are only rated for 3hp

Comment

Originally posted by NYGiants View Post
              thats what i figured, just was wondering cus some jon boats on lowe.com are only rated for 3hp
              o its a lowe i would suggest then prob not over 5hp i dint see that is was 12' i have a 14' game fisher try to stay low with the motor then but you don't need a big motor to push jon boats around

Comment

you guys are being too conservative....put a small block in it and hold on!!
                2000 Crownline 248 BR
                454 MPI Bravo III
                "Wet Lipps II"
                2006 Dodge CTD 3500 4X4 Bighorn Edition
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LippCJ7 View Post
                  you guys are being too conservative....put a small block in it and hold on!!
                  look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhmN5um1LzA and tell me thats not fast

Comment

I had a 12 Jon, with a 3' beam. Max HP was 7.5HP.

Comment

9.9 would be the max if that much. It's a very light weight boat the few ribs it has only go across the floor.

Comment

That jon boat looks a lot like my son's. His is a 12' and is rated for 5 hp. And yes, definitely get that other piece of plywood on the transom. Actually I'd be tempted to replace the one of the forward face as well, I'd bet it's getting old and beat up just like it's friend. I'd use some 3/4" plywood and at a minimum soak them real good with fiberglass resin to offer some degree of waterproofing.
                        1979 Checkmate Eluder
                        rebuild thread - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=541058
                        1990 Johnson GT-200 (Died) - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=537238
                        1993 Rude 175

Comment

How could i beef up the transom on this boat, after replacing the wood and wood on the back of the tansom

Comment

Working...
                          X