Navigation light question

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Fortunately, the rocker switch for my navigation light is mounted horizontally. For you unfortunate ones who have the switch mounted vertically, how do you remember which way is the left/port turn signal, and which is the right/starboard turn signal?... Up or down??? I know that Chaparral isn't the only boat builder out there who puts that much thought into the layout of the boat. Are the other boat designers just stupid:confused:?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Navigation light question

Please explain what a "turn signal" is on a boat and it's proper operation.....

NYBo

Admiral

Hitting the eggnog a little early, are you VH?:D

Bondo

Staff member

For you unfortunate ones who have the switch mounted vertically, how do you remember which way is the left/port turn signal, and which is the right/starboard turn signal?... Up or down??? I know that Chaparral isn't the only boat builder out there who puts that much thought into the layout of the boat. Are the other boat designers just stupid?

Ayuh,... I ain't never had a boat with Turn Signals,...

At this point, it look's like the pot is callin' the kettle black....:rolleyes: :D

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Please explain what a "turn signal" is on a boat and it's proper operation.....

Come on... You're from the South. We both know very well that most Southerners don't use turn signals on the streets and roads when driving. I thought boaters were different, even in the South. It's more than simply courtesy to use turn signals. It's a safety thing. Something as simple as the flip of a switch lets others on the road (and waterways) know what you're going to do next. Are you telling me that not only do you not use your turn signals while boating, but you're not even aware that you have them? Take a boater safety course for goodness sake!!!

Safe and happy boating always!!!

G

AAAAAA did I miss something here :confused: exactly were are they located on the dash switches?
MMMM maybe after all these years I will be learning sumething new about my boat I never had any idea that was even there.

Ok ok get to the botom line man where are they :eek: I can't wait any longer.....................

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Come on... You're from the South. We both know very well that most Southerners don't use turn signals on the streets and roads when driving. I thought boaters were different, even in the South. It's more than simply courtesy to use turn signals. It's a safety thing. Something as simple as the flip of a switch lets others on the road (and waterways) know what you're going to do next. Are you telling me that not only do you not use your turn signals while boating, but you're not even aware that you have them? Take a boater safety course for goodness sake!!!

You are joking around, I hope?

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

You mean northern boats don't have directionals??

I like to ride around with them flashing port...sometimes for no reason I switch to starboard.

Nobody wants to pass me!!

veritas honus
Just make sure you have plenty of blinker fluid...it drys up real fast on a boat!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Don't forget the piston return springs!!

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm just glad my stern light is white so I can also use it as a reverse light. I just hate having to put the pole in it's socket every time I back up.

MRS

Commander

:confused::confused::confused:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just one of my boats has turn signals but they don't work because the blinker fluid is low and nobody in my area carries it. I tried Budweiser but it doesn't work so I drank the rest. That didn't help either.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Just one of my boats has turn signals but they don't work because the blinker fluid is low and nobody in my area carries it. I tried Budweiser but it doesn't work so I drank the rest. That didn't help either.
I'd think that with over 18K posts you'd know better. Miller lite is what you use, because Bud has way too much carbon in it and shorts everything out.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I'm just glad my stern light is white so I can also use it as a reverse light. I just hate having to put the pole in it's socket every time I back up.

Well thank the Good Lord you're man enough to do it anyway:D!!! Isn't it amazing that some people are just Sooooooo lazy, they'll neglect doing the right thing, just because it seems inconvenient:confused: I'm real big on safety... I went so far as to put a back-up alarm on my boat which comes on as soon as I put the throttle to the reverse position. I'm trying to figure out a way to bypass it if I don't engage the gear. The alarm is pretty loud (as it should be, being a safety feature), and it can be annoying if I'm just running the engine in reverse without engaging the prop. Maybe one of you wiring /electrical Guru's can enlighten me?... And by the way, I hate having to put the pole in it's socket every time I back up, too... Fortunately, my wife doesn't mind at all. She knows to do it every time I put the throttle in reverse. She's gotten very quick to react and by the time I turn around to parallel park at the dock, it's usually already lit-up.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I'm glad DBreskin and I are on the same page:cool:.
The rest of you guys are just making fun of me, aren't you:confused:...
I thought people helped each other out here...
What... Season's over, so now you just turn MEAN and vindictive???

ziggy

Admiral

i'm with MRS...

:confused::confused::confused:

vh, tell us your kidding about having turn signals on your boat.

i have navigation lights on my boat. a white all around stern light and a red(port)/green(starboard) bow light. this light is visible from 0*-112.5* respectively. these are what the ndr in my state requires that i have. http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/boating/guides/boating/BGlights.asp

i'm sure many would love to help you out. but i'm at a loss. i don't know how to help as i've never heard of turn signals on a boat.

fwiw. my nav lights are energized with a 2 pull switch on the dash. 1 pull energizes the stern light, 2 pulls energizes both bow and stern lights. no starboard or port to it????

Are the other boat designers just stupid:confused:?
imho, speaking for my boat, no. my mfg was quite inventive in what they decided was to be a properly equipped 19' speed boat. turn signals weren't on the list...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Damn things just annoyed me with the constant tic-tic-tic so I took them off. Doesn't matter because I boat in Jersey waters and you know how those boaters and drivers are! I even removed the turn signals on my trailer for the same reason. When in Rome-----

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've run out of the fluid in mine as well. I went to using hand signals, but it seems nobody understands them. This is the only area I've boated so I don't have a clue if hand signals are undestood elsewhere.

This guy in a Baja gave me a bird when I signaled then turned port. I swear there were more than two seconds between us. Guess that wasn't how he saw it :D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Maybe you all can help me. When I turn on my port turn signal, the light over my license plate flashes, too. Not a big deal, but the harbor police are sticklers for defective equipment. And by the way, don't screw your license plate into your transom with cheap screws; get high quality stainless.
Also, automotive blinker fluid works the same as the overpriced "marine grade" blinker fluid.