• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping condensation out from under the cover

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping condensation out from under the cover

I'm getting close to putting my boat cover on for the winter and I'm concerned with condensation. I have a nice cover and keeps water out but even if I put the cover on a completely dry boat at 6PM in the middle of the summer, the entire cover will be covered in condensation on the top and bottom by 10PM. It's not a huge deal when you use it every few days in the hot summer sun but a big deal if I'm letting it sit for months.

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the condensation down? Heaters are out of the question since it's a inboard boat.
    86 Dixie Super Skier 299 Restoration: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=444223

Re: Keeping condensation out from under the cover

you could try placing a few cans of damp rid under there. you can pick it up from home depot relatively cheap.

Comment

With out a heater, I would use several desiccant bags/cups.

People use them in semi damp finished basements. Should be available at any big box home improvement store or maybe even wally world.

Heres a link to some on Amazon;
      http://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG60-R...405652&sr=8-34
      1976 Rogers Custom Boats 18' "Bonneville" W/ Chevy 454/ Berkeley 12JC

Care Taker of 1976 Glastron V-184 Crestflight W/ Volvo 170B/280 I.O.
      & 1969 Starcraft W/ 1956 Evinrude 7.5hp Fleetwin.

Comment

Or a box fan.

Desicants often work until they have absorbed all they are going to absorb. Without being dryed artificially or naturally, they stop doing their thing.

If you have a spot on the boat that is always the first to be wet from condensation, you might be able to use a water leak detector to turn the fan on.

Comment

hang a 3" black pipe or hose over the gunnel under the cover. put it on the side that gets the most sun. hang a white pipe or hose over the gunnel on the shadiest side or end . The sun will heat the black pipe more than the white pipe ,causing it to draw the air from outside through the boat and out the black pipe. With the circulation happening,you will keep inside dry.

Comment

check this out..........

http://www.bilgewizard.com/

i have one and it works great , and it is even solar powered

woosterken
            woosterken
            '74 MFG gypsy
            '95 F150 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Duck View Post
              hang a 3" black pipe or hose over the gunnel under the cover. put it on the side that gets the most sun. hang a white pipe or hose over the gunnel on the shadiest side or end . The sun will heat the black pipe more than the white pipe ,causing it to draw the air from outside through the boat and out the black pipe. With the circulation happening,you will keep inside dry.
              THAT is freaking ingenious!!! Makes perfect sense. Do you do this yourself? If so, how well does it work? I'd imagine, very well.
              Safe and happy boating always!!!,

Veritas Honus
              1992 Chaparral 2050 SLC: 205HP 4.3L Yamaha I/O
              ShoreLand'r tandem axle trailer
              T/V: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500Sport 5.9L 4X4 Off Road Package Dana 410 rear

Fear is only a state of mind. Gravity is a fact of life...
              No fall, however high, ever hurt anyone... It's that sudden stop at the end...

Comment

Originally posted by veritas honus View Post
                THAT is freaking ingenious!!! Makes perfect sense. Do you do this yourself? If so, how well does it work? I'd imagine, very well.
                Yup! my granddad built a root cellar that way white pipe on the floor and black pipe on the roof. He dug a ditch 5'deep and 20' long( by hand) and ran white pipe in on the floor. cellar was 12 x 12 and vegetables kept well . I was 10 at the time and never forgot it. Dug the cellar in the side of a hill .

Comment

ventlation
                  sigpic 1981 Glastron SX-190 300hp 350 SBC
                  Living the Dream

Comment

Originally posted by woosterken View Post
                    check this out..........

http://www.bilgewizard.com/

i have one and it works great , and it is even solar powered

woosterken
                    Is your running all day long everyday there is sun?
                    86 Dixie Super Skier 299 Restoration: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=444223

Comment

Yup! my granddad built a root cellar that way white pipe on the floor and black pipe on the roof. He dug a ditch 5'deep and 20' long( by hand) and ran white pipe in on the floor. cellar was 12 x 12 and vegetables kept well . I was 10 at the time and never forgot it. Dug the cellar in the side of a hill .
                      Now THAT'S some "Good Ol' Yankee Know-How". That's AWSOME!!! Thank you for sharing the info... And, the memories.

Safe and happy boating always!!!
                      Safe and happy boating always!!!,

Veritas Honus
                      1992 Chaparral 2050 SLC: 205HP 4.3L Yamaha I/O
                      ShoreLand'r tandem axle trailer
                      T/V: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500Sport 5.9L 4X4 Off Road Package Dana 410 rear

Fear is only a state of mind. Gravity is a fact of life...
                      No fall, however high, ever hurt anyone... It's that sudden stop at the end...

Comment

Originally posted by veritas honus View Post
                        I'm having trouble picturing this. Are we talking about just suspending 6' lengths of open pipe over the gunnels; one black and one white? Or are they connected to create a closed system like a radiator?
                        Jay Hanig
                        Topsail Beach, NC USA
                        1985 Galaxy 176 Bowrider
                        "No Good Deed"

Comment

Originally posted by jayhanig View Post
                          I'm having trouble picturing this. Are we talking about just suspending 6' lengths of open pipe over the gunnels; one black and one white? Or are they connected to create a closed system like a radiator?
                          sorry bout that. suspend white pipe over gunnel down to the deck, suspend black pipe just over the gunnel. That will give you good air movement.

Comment

Don't know if this would interest you, but iboats also has a cover support pole with vent built in. I haven't tried it, but noticed it while I was Windows™ shopping.

http://www.iboats.com/Westland-Vente...--view_id.6109
                            He who laughs last,
                            Didn't get it.
                            (But won't admit it)

Comment

I would love to see a quick drawing of this if you don't mind. I can picture this 2 different ways and I'm not sure which is correct.

A picture is worth a thou...well, you know.

Thanks for the idea.
                              2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

Working...
                              X