Arriva 2450 Fishfinder/Chart Plotter Install

cmbiggie1

Recruit
I have a 1989 Arriva 2450. Looks like I should have consulted this forum before I purchased my new Fishfinder/Chart Plotter unit which came with a transome mount transducer. Based on the boats design it appears that the transducer needs to be Hull mounted. Is there any information available on installation of transducer units on the 2450?

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: Arriva 2450 Fishfinder/Chart Plotter Install

Welcome to iboats. :). You can also silicone the factory transducer inside the engine bay or where ever.
Reread the Manuel it should say something about that. :)

cmbiggie1

Recruit

Thanks for the input. What I purchased is the Lowrance HDS 5. I am considering purchasing an extender cable, performing the transome mount, and routing around the rear stepboard and engine cover to avoid drilling a hole. Not as clean but I believe it should work. Any thoughts out there?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You should be able to use/get a thru-hull transducer which is flush mounted to the inside of the hull. No holes required. It shoots through the fiberglass.

captainbr

Cadet

Before you install the transducer inside the hull, you should ensure that it will be shooting through a solid laminate and in an area of smooth water flow under the hull, ie not astern of any through-hulls or other fittings.

To check the proposed location, place the transducer into a plastic bag of water, wet the outside of the bag and the interior of the hull.

With your boat in deep water, close to the maximum depth you will want to read, position the bag against the hull while someone else observes the display. Move the bag around until you obtain the best signal then mark the spot.

Dry the hull and put a good sized glob of silicon on the hull. Place the transducer into the silicon at an angle and then bring it to the vertical while pressing down. The objective is to squeeze out any air bubbles in the silicon.

Now take your boat on a high speed run to check the installation.

I have use this procedure on a number of vessels. The only negative is you may lose a little on the maximum range.

cmbiggie1

Recruit

Thanks to all. I'll let you know how it turns out.