Life vest questions

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been reading now that some areas require life vests to be worn in cold weather. The problem I have is that I've never been able to find one to fit me.
I'm 6'3" tall, 325lbs, with a 60" chest size. I've tried just about every type of vest made and even a 5xl ski type vest don't fit me well, and would never fit me when I'm wearing cold weather clothing. I fish year round if it don't ice over, I usually wear several layers of outdoor clothing, often either several sweatshirts and a jacket or coveralls. I bought a Stearns Super sized vest, the one with the crotch straps, and it fits me with only a T shirt on, but not with anything else on.
Another issue is that even that vest don't float me. First off, I don't float, I can walk across the bottom a lake with no sign of buoyancy at all. In warm water one day I decided I should try out several of my vests just to know what to expect if I ever went overboard. First off was the orange or red life preservers that come in the four pack with most boats, it's got two straps, and goes around the neck. What I found with those is that the vest rides right up and right off over my head. It did nothing to hold me up, I slid right out of it. I couldn't even hold it down on me.

Next I tried a 5xl sport vest, it did the same, I slid right out of the vest, with the lower strap ripping right out of the vest at the back. I dropped out of that thing like a ton of bricks, leaving me with a strap burns around my neck where it pulled over my head.

Next I tried the Stearns vest, it held on, but hung me in the vest with me face below water, due to the narrow leg straps, it stayed on being that it has two leg straps not one in the middle which like the vest above, could cause severe pain.
I felt like I was hanging by the back of the vest on a hook, unable to move or stay above water.

Does anyone make a vest that will fit a big guy that you can't fall out of?
How about a jacket with some real flotation in it?

For comparison, I can stay afloat using one of those float rings or life buoys, but not with those square seat cushions, I take those right to the bottom with me. I tried two of those, I had each arm through the straps of one on each side and still sank like a rock to the bottom.

I was doing this in a freshwater lake, in about 10' of water with a diver's air mask and hose pumping air from the dock. I was at all times able to walk ashore to come out of the water. I wasn't about to try jumping off a boat in deep water, and sure am glad I didn't try that. A buddy, who is about my size, tried the same thing using the same vests and throwable cushions and had no problem staying afloat, but like I said, I don't float.

I've been boating all my life with never an incident, but now as I get older, I realize that my bad knees and back would probably make swimming nearly impossible even in warm water, let alone fishing in the ocean in the winter.

I'm open to any affordable suggestions as to a good life jacket, keeping in mind that a survival suit usually won't work as you couldn't or wouldn't want to fish all day in one. My normal attire is a jacket over several layers, long underwear, work jeans and a pair of water proof Grunden bib overalls and a pair of 9" rubber boots with deck grip.

I think the only thing that would work would be if I could find a jacket that either self inflated or one that included a lot more flotation. It also needs to be a warm jacket as we fish regardless of the temperature.
If I'm going to wear a life preserver, it really needs to be one that will work and not just for show or one so bulky you can't move around or fish.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Life vest questions

I use a self inflatable. I have every make of life preserver known to floating. Hated them all. The self inflatable is so comfortable that half the time I am still wearing it when home. The only issue with it is you cant leave it in the boat. The moisture from a few damp days will set it off.

Jeep Man

Commander

I've been reading now that some areas require life vests to be worn in cold weather. The problem I have is that I've never been able to find one to fit me.
I'm 6'3" tall, 325lbs, with a 60" chest size. I've tried just about every type of vest made and even a 5xl ski type vest don't fit me well, and would never fit me when I'm wearing cold weather clothing. I fish year round if it don't ice over, I usually wear several layers of outdoor clothing, often either several sweatshirts and a jacket or coveralls. I bought a Stearns Super sized vest, the one with the crotch straps, and it fits me with only a T shirt on, but not with anything else on.
Another issue is that even that vest don't float me. First off, I don't float, I can walk across the bottom a lake with no sign of buoyancy at all. In warm water one day I decided I should try out several of my vests just to know what to expect if I ever went overboard. First off was the orange or red life preservers that come in the four pack with most boats, it's got two straps, and goes around the neck. What I found with those is that the vest rides right up and right off over my head. It did nothing to hold me up, I slid right out of it. I couldn't even hold it down on me.

Next I tried a 5xl sport vest, it did the same, I slid right out of the vest, with the lower strap ripping right out of the vest at the back. I dropped out of that thing like a ton of bricks, leaving me with a strap burns around my neck where it pulled over my head.

Next I tried the Stearns vest, it held on, but hung me in the vest with me face below water, due to the narrow leg straps, it stayed on being that it has two leg straps not one in the middle which like the vest above, could cause severe pain.
I felt like I was hanging by the back of the vest on a hook, unable to move or stay above water.

Does anyone make a vest that will fit a big guy that you can't fall out of?
How about a jacket with some real flotation in it?

For comparison, I can stay afloat using one of those float rings or life buoys, but not with those square seat cushions, I take those right to the bottom with me. I tried two of those, I had each arm through the straps of one on each side and still sank like a rock to the bottom.

I was doing this in a freshwater lake, in about 10' of water with a diver's air mask and hose pumping air from the dock. I was at all times able to walk ashore to come out of the water. I wasn't about to try jumping off a boat in deep water, and sure am glad I didn't try that. A buddy, who is about my size, tried the same thing using the same vests and throwable cushions and had no problem staying afloat, but like I said, I don't float.

I've been boating all my life with never an incident, but now as I get older, I realize that my bad knees and back would probably make swimming nearly impossible even in warm water, let alone fishing in the ocean in the winter.

I'm open to any affordable suggestions as to a good life jacket, keeping in mind that a survival suit usually won't work as you couldn't or wouldn't want to fish all day in one. My normal attire is a jacket over several layers, long underwear, work jeans and a pair of water proof Grunden bib overalls and a pair of 9" rubber boots with deck grip.

I think the only thing that would work would be if I could find a jacket that either self inflated or one that included a lot more flotation. It also needs to be a warm jacket as we fish regardless of the temperature.
If I'm going to wear a life preserver, it really needs to be one that will work and not just for show or one so bulky you can't move around or fish.

Being as you don't float, you say, have you considered boating and fishing in scuba gear.:D Your catch percentage might improve as well.:D

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Judging by your size, weight, and negative boyancy, it sounds to me like you're all muscle and not much fat. This being the case, this is difficult; but certainly not impossible. Mustang survival, as suggested by Tx1961Whaler is probably your best bet. That or any other survival suit/jacket company. I've got another thought which may work for you too. Being that you fish in the cold, wearing multiple layers, You might want to try an 8mm wetsuit. get a "farmer john" type. Get it a little loose fitting. You'll be really warm, maybe a little too warm, but you will float. Wear an automatic inflatable vest over it, and you'll float face up. Best of luck. Please let us know what you come up with.

Safe and happy boating Always!!!

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

You might give these folks a call, they apparently make them to order;

topnotchperformancemarine.com or northwater.com.

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Judging by your size, weight, and negative boyancy, it sounds to me like you're all muscle and not much fat. This being the case, this is difficult; but certainly not impossible. Mustang survival, as suggested by Tx1961Whaler is probably your best bet. That or any other survival suit/jacket company. I've got another thought which may work for you too. Being that you fish in the cold, wearing multiple layers, You might want to try an 8mm wetsuit. get a "farmer john" type. Get it a little loose fitting. You'll be really warm, maybe a little too warm, but you will float. Wear an automatic inflatable vest over it, and you'll float face up. Best of luck. Please let us know what you come up with.

Safe and happy boating Always!!!

From what I see at their website, Mustang doesn't offer anything my size, I think the largest chest size they list is 60", which means it would have to fit over me in just a T shirt. That would mean a cold day on the water if I can't bundle up properly.
I've pretty much always just took my chances for 45+ years on the water but I was in better shape then. These days worn out knees and arthritis in my joints doesn't do much for my ability to move, so I pretty much figure I'm fish bait if I go into cold water these days. I've never been much of a swimmer but found out years ago being dumped in the water is a big incentive to learn fast. I found I could swim to shore but couldn't stay put without sinking. I may still have a lot of muscle yet, but I do like my beer, but it's done nothing to add any buoyancy, just a few waist sizes over the years.

Years ago a buddy did a few years in the CG, they gave him a self inflating vest by Mustang that resembled a flight jacket or bomber style coat. It had lots of insulation and was suited for cold water use as they did patrols in the bay and rivers. I don't see anything like it listed these days. I had one of his years ago but it never really fit me as I was a good bit wider than he was.

I tried on a vest marked Super Size at the marina today, I couldn't get both arms in it, it just wasn't wide enough with the straps all the way extended. The straps came about 15" from closing and none of the vest would come around past my arm pits. I'm not the only big guy out there, I just have no idea where they get their vests or life jackets. I have a funny feeling that a lot of big guys would be a big trouble if they had to rely on their vests.
My fear isn't going in the water, it's going into cold water or going into the water unconscious. Most of the water I fish is pretty fast moving, swimming most likely wouldn't be much of an option either way, regardless of the cold.

The biggest issue is finding a vest or jacket that will fit over winter clothing. I may try to call Mustang during the week, maybe they have something that's not listed.
I'm not really too fond of having to spend $300+ on a life jacket though, especially if it's of the type that has a time limit on it's usefulness. (I seem to remember the one I had before had an expiration date on it?). That could also have to do with the self inflation part of it too?
Another concern is that we fish rain or shine, it's not uncommon to be fishing and getting very wet, this is more so in warmer weather but I'd have concerns about any automatic inflation vest if it got wet?

Splat

Lieutenant

wear the pfd under you cold weather gear?

bill

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That would work for an inflatable collar type, like a Sospender's style but not so well for a bulky foam vest. Having a bulky winter coat and sweatshirt or two over the vest would also prevent me from pulling the rip cord in manual operation.

I'd also need to find something like an 6xl coat to go over a foam based vest.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I feel your pain bro. I'm a BOB (bigolboy) too, 6'3" and tip the scales at 265. Bottom line is the world is made by, built for and populated by the little people (no offense intended to anyone). I would check the state regs where you fish and see if the PFD thing is true...wearing it in cold weather. If so, get one that's adjustable and add on to or replace the straps so you can get it on over your cold weather fishing gear. It won't keep you afloat, but you'll be legal. As for what will keep you afloat, only thing I can think of is a DIY life ring made of boat fenders and rope...but test the fenders first to see if they will keep you bobbin' around. That or a self-inflating life/rescue raft is all I can think of. I'm big, but can swim like a fish and float...which tells you I have more than the recommended amount of body fat...working on that. You don't mention age, but at 52 years and millions of miles on my failing carcass I'm already eyeing the change from fishing boat to pontoon rig...Arthur Ritis goes everywhere with me even though I don't like him.

Jeep Man

Commander

Body Glove have a model that goes up to 7XL, as well, Stearns San Souci model goes up to 7XL for chest size up to 68". Hope this helps.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

From what I see at their website, Mustang doesn't offer anything my size, I think the largest chest size they list is 60", which means it would have to fit over me in just a T shirt. That would mean a cold day on the water if I can't bundle up properly.
I've pretty much always just took my chances for 45+ years on the water but I was in better shape then. These days worn out knees and arthritis in my joints doesn't do much for my ability to move, so I pretty much figure I'm fish bait if I go into cold water these days. I've never been much of a swimmer but found out years ago being dumped in the water is a big incentive to learn fast. I found I could swim to shore but couldn't stay put without sinking. I may still have a lot of muscle yet, but I do like my beer, but it's done nothing to add any buoyancy, just a few waist sizes over the years.

Years ago a buddy did a few years in the CG, they gave him a self inflating vest by Mustang that resembled a flight jacket or bomber style coat. It had lots of insulation and was suited for cold water use as they did patrols in the bay and rivers. I don't see anything like it listed these days. I had one of his years ago but it never really fit me as I was a good bit wider than he was.

I tried on a vest marked Super Size at the marina today, I couldn't get both arms in it, it just wasn't wide enough with the straps all the way extended. The straps came about 15" from closing and none of the vest would come around past my arm pits. I'm not the only big guy out there, I just have no idea where they get their vests or life jackets. I have a funny feeling that a lot of big guys would be a big trouble if they had to rely on their vests.
My fear isn't going in the water, it's going into cold water or going into the water unconscious. Most of the water I fish is pretty fast moving, swimming most likely wouldn't be much of an option either way, regardless of the cold.

The biggest issue is finding a vest or jacket that will fit over winter clothing. I may try to call Mustang during the week, maybe they have something that's not listed.
I'm not really too fond of having to spend $300+ on a life jacket though, especially if it's of the type that has a time limit on it's usefulness. (I seem to remember the one I had before had an expiration date on it?). That could also have to do with the self inflation part of it too?
Another concern is that we fish rain or shine, it's not uncommon to be fishing and getting very wet, this is more so in warmer weather but I'd have concerns about any automatic inflation vest if it got wet?

If you want to get safe and legal then you might as well get use to the fact that you are going to have to spend some money. That is just the way it is.

And don't bother trying to make your own, they wont be approved for use on your boat (without going thru the process with the CG) and probably wont keep you alive either.

As far as expiration dates, the current models are good until their approval tags fade to the point of no longer being readable. This should be a really long time if you keep them protected from the weather/sun when you are not using them.

They make the "bomber jackets" that you mention, I could only find them in 3xl. However, use the search capabilities of your computer and look for "inflatable and bomber jackets" and you will find some selections.

Do not wear your pfds under your clothes, stupid idea and very unsafe as well. If nothing else get an "immersion suit" it is designed for cold (really cold) weather when working around the water. Check out Alaska crabbers if you want to see them in action.

I can understand your complaints, but it is time to face reality, you are "supersized" and nothing is likely to change that. So quit complaining and put your computer to work. What you need is out there, it has already been suggested where to look, now look and make the calls.

Right now you are whining and at the same time bragging about your being a "HULK".

dwco5051

Commander

The question is how much buoyancy you need. Most adult PFD's are labeled for about 15 1/2 pounds buoyancy. Stearns does have one in their law enforcement catalog that is a self inflatable that is rated at 34 pounds. Just getting one that fits but doesn't keep you up may be legal but it would not keep you alive:(

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

try looking at float coats.
also, call the folks at Mustang or other reputable manufacturers. Thye proabably can make them in your size, but don't advertise due to low volume.
I will be with several harbor pilots tonight; I will see what they say.

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The question is how much buoyancy you need. Most adult PFD's are labeled for about 15 1/2 pounds buoyancy. Stearns does have one in their law enforcement catalog that is a self inflatable that is rated at 34 pounds. Just getting one that fits but doesn't keep you up may be legal but it would not keep you alive:(

This is a major question. The super sized Stearns vest is marked as providing 40lbs of buoyancy, but it don't float me. To give you an idea of how much this thing helps me float, picture wrapping one of those things around a small block Chevy engine and tossing it in the water. It just isn't enough flotation to keep it afloat.
Worse yet, much like pulling a stunt like that, it seems just as hard to keep a vest on me. Just about everything I've tried has all but hung me either by the crotch straps or the neck as it slid over my head and I fell out the bottom.
If my arms were through sleeves, I think I'd have a better chance of staying in the thing.
I hate the bulkiness of wearing such a vest and trying to fish, especially since your already bundled up to protect from the cold and wet. If I'm going to have one of these things on me, it really might as well be functional.

From what I see that foam they use in most vests just don't have much buoyancy? Its sort of off white or yellow in color and looks more like carpet padding. Years ago, I worked building and installing floating boat docks, the white polystyrene chunks they used back then would float a house. I remember using a 4'x6" piece about 4" thick as a floating creeper or tool cart while setting up dock configurations. I could sit or stand on one of those panels and it wouldn't even let my feet get wet. I figured that a couple of cubic feet of that stuff would float me, but a vest will not. Two things seem to provide the most flotation to me, trapped air, and white polystyrene foam blocks. That stuff in most life vests just don't cut it for my weight or lack of buoyancy.

I do intend to call a few companies on Monday during business hours. I sent emails to several online last night and am waiting for replies.

The law applies to NY only around here right now, although I claim primary residence in NJ, I do often fish NY waters, (as well as NJ, PA, DE, VA, and MD during the winter here, and I make the occasional trip to FL as well as several other states).

See here for what I was referred to about NY: http://nysparks.state.ny.us/recreation/boating/navigation-law.aspx

Most of my fishing is in NY, NJ, & DE waters

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I talked to a harbor pilot, who is right beefy himself. Go to the top end commercial marine service companies and they can set you up--Viking, for example. The good companies make the giat sizes, but you won't find them in the consumer retail markets, such as web sites and sporting goods stores.
Check withyour local pilots, tug companies, commercial fisheries, etc.

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I talked to a harbor pilot, who is right beefy himself. Go to the top end commercial marine service companies and they can set you up--Viking, for example. The good companies make the giat sizes, but you won't find them in the consumer retail markets, such as web sites and sporting goods stores.
Check with your local pilots, tug companies, commercial fisheries, etc.

This is one I was directed to after calling on Fri. My problem is that it lists only 15lbs of buoyancy.
http://www.stearnsflotation.com/The-Windwardtrade-P1535C8.aspx

I like the idea of the full jacket, it'll eliminate one layer, which makes me wonder what size I really need then. If I'm not already wearing an outer winter jacket, then the overall size of the jacket will be much smaller. My chest size with only a T shirt on is about 56", then add a thermal shirt, maybe a sweatshirt or two and on top of that I wear a water resistant jacket or rain coat, depending the the conditions. My normal winter jacket is a 3xl, if I buy a jacket type of life preserver, then the overall size is smaller since it no longer has to fit over my winter coat.

Of course, I don't mind having several options, for various temperature use. I don't think I'd want to be wearing a float coat that's rated for arctic temps when the temps rise above freezing on those odd winter days.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

float coats are warm and weatehr proof. Lots of my friends wear them duck hunting, including one big ol' boy. But you won't sauna out in one like rain gear if it gets above freezing (most of our weather is above) and it's always colder on the water.

Look around duck hunting suppliers--again, get on the phone to see what's available but not in the catalogue.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Sterns makes a "stearns competitor series life vest" that goes to a 7xl, a 68" chest. Google it and you should have no problem finding an outlet, price runs from $50 to $80. Could not find the flotation but a call to Sterns will resolve that. If needed you could have someone, a canvas shop, add a crotch strap or 2 to keep you from sliding out.

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sterns makes a "stearns competitor series life vest" that goes to a 7xl, a 68" chest. Google it and you should have no problem finding an outlet, price runs from $50 to $80. Could not find the flotation but a call to Sterns will resolve that. If needed you could have someone, a canvas shop, add a crotch strap or 2 to keep you from sliding out.

That's the series I have here now, there are two problems with it, with it on me, even with just a sweatshirt on, I can only get the top strap buckled and it's fully extended, and the sizing on it says 4xl to 7xl, for that one vest. It's not a choice of several sizes. Sort of a one size fits all over 4xl. All they really did was add longer straps to it. The worst part is that the top buckle ends up at my chin after any movement around the boat, and forget sitting down at the helm in a captain's chair. It won't fit between the armrests. I would bet money on it that I'd drop out of it if in the water. I'm not sure what the flotation is for it, I'd guess in the 30lb range by the look of it. When I put that thing on, even with no jacket on, the front flaps only come around to about a 12" gap in the front, it's not really on me. Its also hard to get on as the shoulder width isn't wide enough. It's even harder to get out of, I have to pretty much get someone to pull the thing up off my arms from behind.
I was out today on the river for a bit, we left this morning, it was around 31 degrees or so when we left at 4:30 AM, but the temp rose to over 60 by noon. On a day like this, if I had a super size vest, I'd need two as I shed my winter coat after it hit about 55 degrees out. If I were wearing one of those float coats, I'd have cooked. Most of the big guys I see are just wearing those orange collar type PFDs but they most likely wouldn't function or stay on if they were really needed.

I like the idea of a full coat best, it's the best chance of it staying on in the water I think but have serious concerns about it keeping me afloat in the water.