Why are boats righthand drive?

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Why are boats righthand drive?

Right hand drive also gives a clearer view (unobstructed) of boats (and that red light at night) approaching or crossing from your right. Maybe one more reason?

That's what I learned in one of my boating classes with the Coast Guard Auxilliary. They said the typical setup whether you have one, two, or three engines is on the right side because you have to give way to boats coming towards your starboard side so you need maximum visibility. Therefore, left hand drive is not preferred. They said to think of and look at your navigation lights as a set of traffic lights on the road. Green is on your starboard side and red on your port. If a boat is coming towards you and sees your green nav light, then it is the stand on boat and has the right of way. If it is coming towards you and sees your red nav light, then it is the give way boat and has to either slow, stop, change course, etc...whatever avoids a collision.

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think post #3 pretty much answered this one.

Years ago I owned a 16' Glasspar that had a left hand helm, I believe the model was a Tacoma from the early 60's. It was cable and pulley steered, had a big chrome hub behind the steering wheel and the speedometer and tach were mounted dead center in the dash. It looked to me like they built the dash and drilled all the gauge holes so it could be laid out either way. I've not seen another one like it since I sold mine about 30 years ago.

If controlling prop torque were the reason, I don't think my current boat would sink lower on the right side with me at the helm and no passengers when I apply power. If the helm were on the left, I think that would be corrected. I generally sit off to the left of the helm just to balance out the boat better. Even with the battery and fuel tank mounted to the port side and my 325lb self on the starboard side, the boat still lists right at rest. When I step out and have to load the boat, I have to move the fuel tank to the right to balance the boat so it self centers on the trailer.

Since I'm right handed, I often navigate around the marina standing in the center steering with my right hand, I've often thought that having the controls to the left of the wheel would be big plus.

I had an old Bayville center console from the mid 1960's that had it's controls mounted to the left of the wheel. The console was attached to the left side of the boat and the deck, but extended to the middle of the boat where there was a single seat behind the helm. The controls were to the left, to go around the console, you walked to the right and went up to the bow area. The placement of the console often made it a real pain to load gear onboard at the dock as the loading ladder at the dock was at the port side and almost right at the console location. This often led people to use the console as a step, which led to it's demise after a few years. There wasn't enough water to back in, the prop would be in the mud at low tide.

rcmickey

Seaman

Well me thinks you all have beaten this sea/horse to death......Happy Thanksgiving everyone!:-(>

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

so here's a stumper... Why do most older jet boats (and a fair number of speedboats) have the driver on the left side?
This style of boat is often used in competition, typically involving a ccw course, (left hand turns). The driver needs to be on the left to easily see and pass marker pylons.

I don't see the prop torque affecting the boat much, since it's well below the hull. However, the engine, in the boat turning ccw (looking at flywheel end) will try to twist the boat cw, (stbd side raised). Logically, the driver should be on the left to counter it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

And of course all single marine engines were standardized on RH props many years ago.

I wouldn't exactly say 'all' marine engines. Its becoming more popular in the wakeboarding world to have prop rotation direction as an configurable option to match the owners primary forward foot. For wake surfing, the prop rotation creates a nice wake on one side, and a foamy rolling edge on the other. (lh = standard, rh = goofy foot boarding)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Very interesting, I figured it had somehing to do with old naval practice but the coast gaurd thing makes alot of sense too.

I just like finding out the reason why things are the way they are.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the USCG aux thing is stupidly hilarious.
as most the auxiliary stuff in my area.
except for certain purpose built hulls its simply a matter of vendor manufacturing and marketing.
some years back you could also get stern washboard mounted controls as well.
park boat company still makes a few.
I have operated boats from the stern washboard on both port and stbd sides,fwd cockpit helms on both sides as well as flybridge helms.
my 21 seapro has a center console and a flybridge(second station) helm.
it simply comes down to manufacturing and marketing.
mostly marketing.
just as in the automotive world,toy world and appliance world.
its about comfort,ergonomics and the name brand.
nothing to do with prop torque or engine rotation.
we have many hulls with singles and left hand props,as well as right hand props,sitting at the dry stack.
run any of them and try to see any torque rotation.
once on plane the hull will counter the rotation.
as the general population here in the states is right handed the most normal hand to operate the throttle is the right hand.
difficult to manufacture and market a helm with left hand steering and right hand throttle.
its simply what customers are comfortable with in a mass market setup.
my dads morgan,austin healy and elva where all british and all right hand drive.
trust me the left hand shifting took some to get used to.
trust me, if you had the choice of 2 identical vessels of the same price with the exception one had left hand controls and the other right hand the only reason you would choose the right hand is cause its what most are used to.
there are at least 7 twin engine boats in the 24-28 range at the stack and on trailers we work on that BOTH engines turn the same way.
trust me you will never notice the difference at 26knts.
I know, I run them occasionally for 6 miles or so.

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

except for certain purpose built hulls its simply a matter of vendor manufacturing and marketing.
I have operated boats from the stern washboard on both port and stbd sides,fwd cockpit helms on both sides as well as flybridge helms.
mostly marketing.
we have many hulls with singles and left hand props,as well as right hand props,sitting at the dry stack.
as the general population here in the states is right handed the most normal hand to operate the throttle is the right hand.
difficult to manufacture and market a helm with left hand steering and right hand throttle.
my dads morgan,austin healy and elva where all british and all right hand drive.
trust me, if you had the choice of 2 identical vessels of the same price with the exception one had left hand controls and the other right hand the only reason you would choose the right hand is cause its what most are used to.
there are at least 7 twin engine boats in the 24-28 range at the stack and on trailers we work on that BOTH engines turn the same way.

Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about! Bravo!!!:cool:

boatfire

Recruit

This matter has been over analyzed but Rodbolt, I disagree.
I think the main reason for right hand drive is as a few others have said and that is for safety by giving better visibility of stand on vessels coming from starboard. Older runabouts and cruisers in general were harder to see out of.
Does ergonomics have something to do with it? Of course, but I don't think it was the over riding factor back in the day. But it does apply to many current center consoles that mount steering and controls to the portside of the console to keep controls mounted in the center and make room for a passenger.
I once drove a boat with a left hand control, (you could reverse the Morse single lever control) and yeah it was different but it didn't take long to get used to it.
I do agree that prop torque has little to do with it except maybe for very small boats as helms have been mounted in just about everyplace possible.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

boatfire
your simply nuts.
its just as easy to see a light from the left OR right.
and its also the helmsmans duty to AVOID a collision in any case.
the USCG says what lights have to be displayed where.
and in most cases,there are always caveats, they say whou has right of way.
however a blind man can leagally run a boat.
look it up.
vessel operaterors field of vision is disscussed no where in the USCG regulations.
another case of the AUX spouting sheet.
kinda like when the USCG aux tried to board my vessel some years back.
that was a hoot, and o they never touched my vessel.
even if your the stand on vessel, its YOUR responsibility to AVOID the collision.
you never know if the other vessel is in distress,cant manuver or no helmsman in control.

I taught two kids how to operate a vessel and how to drive a car.
FIRST rule, law of gross tonage ALWAYS wins.
I had the right of way, is a sucky epithet.
if your unsure of what an approacing vessel,or crossing is gonna do, chop the throttle,turn away from that vessel and continue later.

you dont see well in 3d do you?
okay, your in a right hand helm boat,you see a red light coming at 90* to your path, that means the other guy, in a right hand drive boat, has to see you to his LEFT.

shoots a few holes in the sight theory.

is common sense that uncommon anymore?
dont pee on my leg and tell me its raining.

Why do the 7-11's have locks on the doors if they are open twenty fours hours a day. But I digress.

sasto

Captain

I think it is a conspiracy theory among boatbuilders and outboard engine manufacturers for people like to overanalize.:D

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

mostly marketing.
trust me, if you had the choice of 2 identical vessels of the same price with the exception one had left hand controls and the other right hand the only< reason you would choose the right hand is cause its what most are used to.

With all due respect, Marketing had nothing to do with it. The placement of the helm goes much further back than marketing. The fact that the vast majority of people are right handed has more to do with it than any one other aspect. As I said in an earlier post, it goes back to the steering board.
Chris Smith, John Hacker, Gar Wood more or less started the pleasure boat industry in this country. Their boats were right hand drives. In their beginnings, none of them had a marketing department. They built boats in their back yards and grew their business from a very humble beginning. I could list earlier examples as well but I don't think it's necessary. By saying it was Marketing that drives it, you're putting the cart before the horse. Boat building has been around longer than marketing.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Chris Smith, John Hacker, Gar Wood more or less started the pleasure boat industry in this country. Their boats were right hand drives. In their beginnings, none of them had a marketing department. They built boats in their back yards and grew their business from a very humble beginning. I could list earlier examples as well but I don't think it's necessary. By saying it was Marketing that drives it, you're putting the cart before the horse. Boat building has been around longer than marketing.

I just reviewed one of my old books on classic wooden boats. There was a chapter devoted to the golden age of the runabout, with dozens of pictures from the 1920's and 30's. MOST, but not all, of the CCs, Hackers and Garwoods had left hand drives. The chapter on Cruisers showed a beautiful Chris Craft, and the caption described that at the time it was their largest entry into that market segment. It also commented on how Chris Smith was greatly influenced by John Hacker. That boat was also a lefty.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I just reviewed one of my old books on classic wooden boats. There was a chapter devoted to the golden age of the runabout, with dozens of pictures from the 1920's and 30's. MOST, but not all, of the CCs, Hackers and Garwoods had left hand drives. The chapter on Cruisers showed a beautiful Chris Craft, and the caption described that at the time it was their largest entry into that market segment. It also commented on how Chris Smith was greatly influenced by John Hacker. That boat was also a lefty.

I am sure I could just as easily pull up as many if not more pics of these old boats with right hand drives. While most of the pics you saw in your book had left hand drives, I would still argue that most had right hand, not left hand drives. Although, now I'm going to have to start digging for my memory is not what it once was. We could probably go back and forth with it for ages. If you take a look at the boats offered on the following website, it appears that the boats are predominately right hand drive.

http://www.antiqueboat.com/boats.aspx

But, the point I was trying to make was that Marketing had nothing to do with it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I am sure I could just as easily pull up as many if not more pics of these old boats with right hand drives. While most of the pics you saw in your book had left hand drives, I would still argue that most had right hand, not left hand drives. Although, now I'm going to have to start digging for my memory is not what it once was. We could probably go back and forth with it for ages. If you take a look at the boats offered on the following website, it appears that the boats are predominately right hand drive.

http://www.antiqueboat.com/boats.aspx

But, the point I was trying to make was that Marketing had nothing to do with it.

I got your point and I agree with it.

My point was that although today RH is predominant, in the golden days of powerboats they swung both ways.

sasto

Captain

I got your point and I agree with it.

My point was that although today RH is predominant, in the golden days of powerboats they swung both ways.

I always thought that too!

That's funny :).....bi-rotational.....they could screw either way, clockwise or counterclockwise...but, correct you are.

I'm starting to leave everything I've learned about it behind and accept it, it is just what it is. :cool:

I've steered from the center for years, occasionally from a stbd helm, port would screw me up.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and what funny is smclear is so stupidly funny he actually agreed and disagreed with me in the same paragraph.

starboard,steerboard, smearboard, all that was blow boat stuff.

the key in the past 40 years is ergonomics and as most folks in the US are right handed and most like to hold that throttle handle with the right hand thats why most hulls of the past 40 years for the mass market are right hand drive.
its as simple as that.
ABYA,USCG USCG AUX, none care what side its driven from, they could care less.
as I do.
however if you're selling widjets to wally world and your widjet is less ergonomic than the compeditors widjet, guess who goes bankrupt?
most likly, Chris,John and Gar were right handed.
and you so wrong on so many points its almost, in fact it is, laughable.
but thanks for agreeing with my marketing thing.

its also why we still have idiot USCG rules about ALL commercial non special purpose jet boats,inboards,outboards and I/O have to have a keel or a skeg for stability.
its stupid, actually immaterial, however it harkens back to blowboat days.

kinda like the USCG regs on horespower, has nothing to do with hull strength what so ever.
no engineering studies on hull,transome or anything other than floation/per ft and if the helm is rotated 180* at top speed are the passengers ejected.
thats about it since about 1932.