nauticus trim tabs

spurty05

Cadet
Hi,i am from cairns australia I have a aluminium 19 foot cabin boat 130 yamaha 2 stroke with the weight of 2800 pounds with no one on board. With a lot of weight at the rear as in extra fuel and duel batteries pumps and so on. In the water it sits down in the rear a little to much but sits flat ( not to one side )when sitting still. I know the trim tabs will get it out of the water better ,and stop the slight porpoising I have, but on the move around 2500 to 4000 revs the boat does not know which side it wants to lean to no matter what weight you move round in the boat (remembering it sits good when still )and at full noise it rides good. I do prefer the stainless steel tabs,but do you recommend any of your tabs for my problem.I was thinking the ST1290-60 or ST1290-8o, but what do you say.Thank you Peter Spertino.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: nauticus trim tabs

Hi Pete,
email picks of your boats stern and problems to john@nauticusinc.com,,he will direct you to the proper tab for your boat.
Let us know how you make out.
best of luck!!
Lance

spurty05

Cadet

Hi Pete,
email picks of your boats stern and problems to john@nauticusinc.com,,he will direct you to the proper tab for your boat.
Let us know how you make out.
best of luck!!
Lance

so much for sending it there he does not reply nor to info @nauticus must really want to sell there tabs and bennett does not reply either.Both as bad as each other .Every one here says john is so helpful am i sending to a different john.

Summer Fun

Banned

bennett does not reply either
Pete, PM Tom aka Tabman he works for Bennett Marine he is very helpful. :)

I've seen where he has sent parts to people for free. Hows that for customer service.:)

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

.... but on the move around 2500 to 4000 revs the boat does not know which side it wants to lean to no matter what ....
So on plane,at 2500 to 4k the boat is listing to one side, then the other?

Trim tabs might help some but I think there's an issue to resolve first.
Is the hull bottom distorted at all, possibly from sitting on the trailer, or from rotten stringers?
Do you carry a lot of fuel in an un-baffled tank?
Is the steering sloppy?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

so much for sending it there he does not reply nor to info @nauticus must really want to sell there tabs and bennett does not reply either.Both as bad as each other .Every one here says john is so helpful am i sending to a different john.

Spurty,

When did you e-mail Bennett? I am very surprised that your e-mail was not returned promptly!

If you e-mailed this past Thursday or Friday since you are in Australia you may not realize that Thursday was the Thanksgiving holiday here in the States and many businesses close for a four day weekend. If you e-mailed longer ago than that, rest assured it is not like our company not to reply within 24 hours and I will look into what happened.

If you are interested in remotely adjustable Trim Tabs like Bennett I would be delighted to help.

From your description of the boat we would recommend our 8" x 10" M80 Sport Tabs, although I personally would consider using the 10" x 12" M120s Sport Tab is it were my boat.

If you want to post a photo of your boat's transom here I would be pleased to take a look.

Please let me know if I may be of any assistance at all.

spurty05

Cadet

Hi tom,first of all i noticed that the first message on 21st did not go through,and i did send another one on 25th as u would not have read that one yet.my boat is aluminium so no rotten stringers. i bought it new 5 months ago with no motor,but hull is 08 model never had motor fitted. the main tank is length ways,transom to bow ,so i dont think it is the tank. I was thinking 12 x12 tabs edge mount as i only have just over 11 inches of room on transom.Also can you tell me how good the auto trim control is,as it saves a lot of playing around with the switch,do you have to have to use a standard switch if you use the auto switch as most tabs come with out switches. Are you able to give me a price on the tabs and auto switch, if not possibly someone that can as ive got freight on top as well.Thanks for your time Peter

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Hi tom,first of all i noticed that the first message on 21st did not go through,and i did send another one on 25th as u would not have read that one yet.my boat is aluminium so no rotten stringers. i bought it new 5 months ago with no motor,but hull is 08 model never had motor fitted. the main tank is length ways,transom to bow ,so i dont think it is the tank. I was thinking 12 x12 tabs edge mount as i only have just over 11 inches of room on transom.Also can you tell me how good the auto trim control is,as it saves a lot of playing around with the switch,do you have to have to use a standard switch if you use the auto switch as most tabs come with out switches. Are you able to give me a price on the tabs and auto switch, if not possibly someone that can as ive got freight on top as well.Thanks for your time Peter

Peter,

The 12 x 12 edge mount is a Lenco model where they attach the actuator (ram) at the trailing edge of the Trim Tab to reduce the height of the actuator on the transom. The M80s and M120s we make utilize a shorter actuator and have a better angle than attaching them to the trailing edge and will fit in 11" (in fact a quick modification will allow them to be mounted with as little as 9-1/4" space).

The Auto Tab Control works extremely well, you do still have to have a manual Trim Tab switch on the dash when it is installed as there are times you will want to run the Trim Tabs manually (Sort of like you still need a gas pedal when you have cruise control in a car).

I would suggest that you install the Trim Tabs without the Auto Tab Control (its very easy to install after the Tabs are installed) and try running the boat. You may very well find that you won't have to play with the switches as much as you might think.

We have two distributors in Australia, depending where you are located one of them can help you with purchasing a system:

Harrold Marine Wholesale Pty Ltd's
3/19 Success St,
Acacia Ridge, Brisbane QLD 4110
Australia
Phone: +61 (7) 3277 6563
Fax: +61 (7) 3277 6567
http://www.harroldmarine.com.au/
sales@harroldmarine.com.au

JPW (Aust) Pty Ltd's
Unit 3, 51 Division Street
Welshpool
Western Australia 6106
Australia
Phone: +61 (8) 9351 9266
Fax: +61 (8) 9353 4036
http://www.jpwmarine.com.au/
sales@jpwmarine.com.au

I hope this is helpful.

briguy2817

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ordered some tabs from Nauticus about 2 tears ago and they corrected a slight pull problem for me. I had an issue on where to place them so I emailed Nauticus with some pictures and within a week I got a reply. My understanding is the company is family run with a few employees, give them a call if you would like to talk to somebody right away.
On another note, I had a shock go bad earlier this year so I called and they sent out a new one, within 2 days I had it at home, free of charge. I do believe that they stand behind their product 100% but may be a little under staffed, especially around the holidays. I will get another set from Nauticus, if needed, on my next boat, that's how much I like the performance improvement.

Brian

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

WOW,,,suprised at this

spurty05

Cadet

Hi spurty05
When you say your boat can't decide which side to lean to, I am wondering if you are experiencing "chine walk"

Here is an article about chine walking
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/stability/chine-walking-17405.html

Last summer I was running an inflatable tender for a 65' motor yacht. When I accelerated, the boat leaned to one side. A little trim up solved the problem.

Hi captainbr. The boat is not chine walking,it is just falling to one side or to the other side .I think adjustable trim tabs will fix this problem