Safety Chains in conjunction w/ surge/hydraulic brake actuator

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey,

Thanks for looking. I've searched the forums but have not found an answer to this particular issue. PLEASE SEE ATTACHED PICTURE. I have a trailer that came with the safety chains hooked up in a bad way.

The idiot who installed them on (4) in the picture swapped the original grade-5 bolt with a longer (and weaker) grade-2 bolt. The issue here is that bolts (4) and (5) are used to allow the actuator to go in and are not to be overtightened; therefore when he installed the chain there he "froze" the actuator preventing any braking action from happening.

What I wanted to do is install the chains on hole (1) in the picture with a grade-8 bolt with two washers on each side such that there is a connection directly from the trailer itself to the hitch of the vehicle. Unfortunately the chains are just not long enough to adequately reach the hitch from that location. Do you suggest I get longer safety chains or mount the existing durable ones elsewhere?

Thanks,

E.

Attachments

• 49562mf_20_LABELED.jpg
    49562mf_20_LABELED.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Safety Chains in conjunction w/ surge/hydraulic brake actuator

I think you have your solution. Attach to hole #1 and if the existing chains are too short go to the hardware store and buy new ones. Those chains should be pretty easy to find with different lengths. Also, while you are buying chains, you may want to get another one to replace that rigged up cable that is acting as your bow safety chain. Good Luck

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I'd use either bolt #2, or #3 to attach the chains,...
If the chains are short, buy longer 1s...

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you have your solution. Attach to hole #1 and if the existing chains are too short go to the hardware store and buy new ones. Those chains should be pretty easy to find with different lengths. Also, while you are buying chains, you may want to get another one to replace that rigged up cable that is acting as your bow safety chain. Good Luck

Perhaps use the too short one as the new bow chain?

TerryMSU

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Terry,

I was actually thinking about this as well, but the welded hook on the trailer for the bow chain seems flimsy and too small to me so it may be wise to somehow replace it or re-weld a bigger one. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Perhaps use the too short one as the new bow chain?

TerryMSU

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey again Bondo,

Are there any advantages to using #2 or #3 as opposed to #1? I ask because in the event that there is any issues with the tongue would it not be best to have a direct connection between the trailer itself to the vehicle?

Ayuh,... I'd use either bolt #2, or #3 to attach the chains,...
If the chains are short, buy longer 1s...

Bondo

Staff member

Are there any advantages to using #2 or #3 as opposed to #1? I ask because in the event that there is any issues with the tongue would it not be best to have a direct connection between the trailer itself to the vehicle?

Ayuh,... Bolts #2, 'n #3 Do go through the tongue beam(aka. The trailer), they hold the coupler to it...
They're also closer to the tow unit, so the chains might be long enough...

No,... There's No real advantage to bolt #1 in anyway I can see...