How far can I go

rollo1002

Cadet
As they say know before you go. Well, I just got a new boat to me and it has a 6.6 gallon tank and a 1975 Evinrude 9.9hp 2 stroke engine on a 12' fiberglass boat. I am curious to know how far can I go or how long can I run the engine on average with this set up. I would hate to run out of gas.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: How far can I go

grab yerself another fuel tank or can of fuel and go for a ride. when ya run out, filler back up.

then you'll know how far ya can go, for the conditions that you were in that day..

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Rolo1002,

Regardless of how large or small your fuel capacity may be; if you go by the 1/3 rule... 1/3 out, 2/3's in, you should always do allright. You may not run into any problems on the way back in, but you never know. You've got to become familiar with your boat and equipment. Fuel consumtion depends upon so many different factors, including water and weather conditions, that nobody can accurately tell you how far you can go. See how far you can go on 2.2 gallons, and that's how far you can go without tempting fate. Multiply that distance by three, and that's about how far you'll go before your engine stalls;). Safe and happy boating to you.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

At wide open throttle that engine on that boat will burn somewhere in the vicinity of 1 to 1-1/2 gallons of fuel per hour. So at lesser throttle settings you should be good for an all day run. Unless you have a way to measure distance, "how far you can go" is of little importance. It is all about "how long you can run". At one gallon and hour you can run about 6 hours.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Like Ron White says when asked by a scared passenger next to him after the Captain says they are making an emergency landing:

"How far can this plane fly?":eek:

" Probably to the crash site!":cool:

ziggy

Admiral

i just came back to edit my comment. but vh was right on to it...

Regardless of how large or small your fuel capacity may be; if you go by the 1/3 rule... 1/3 out, 2/3's in,
so i revise my comment to take 2 cans or tanks of fuel... ;)

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

ill tell you what, 6 gallons of gas in a jon boat with a 9.9 will get you as far is you want to go in a jon boat! by the time you run out of gas youll be tired of being in the boat, thats for sure.

rollo1002

Cadet

Thanks for all of the responses. I've enjoyed reading all of the responses.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

With a mid 80's 8 horse Johnson on a 14 foot light aluminum boat at 1/2 throttle we made it to a portage lake 15 miles away, then trolled for 2 more days with room to spare in a 3 gallon can. That was with 2 adults and a heavy load.

Moral of the story, MPSYamaha is right, your butt will be sore before you burn half the tank.

rollo1002

Cadet

You guys are not kidding. I think that 6 gallons of gas is going to last me through hunting season and into summer fishing. I might look at getting a smaller tank just to lighten the boat up some.

There's something to be said for a small outboard on a light boat. When I was a kid I had a '56 Johnson 7-1/2 on a small aluminum boat. That thing would run forever on a tank of gas, and during the summer I just about lived in that boat. My Checkmate with 200 HP Johnson is a heck of a lot faster, but I now appreciate the fuel efficiency of a small outboard.

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How about a 115hp with a 60 gallon tank? (I asked the same question in the mercury forum)

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

figure on 12 gallons per hour operating at WOT = 5 hours

:cool:

Now I need to figure out how fast my boat goes at WOT to figure out a range. I'm not sure as the speedo doesn't work. :(
(1900CC Key West, 115hp Mercury ELPTO)

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Nobody uses pitot tube speedos any more, we use GPS...AND IT'S ACCURATE!:)

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Now I need to figure out how fast my boat goes at WOT to figure out a range. I'm not sure as the speedo doesn't work. :(
(1900CC Key West, 115hp Mercury ELPTO)

How about I go to your original thread question and we'll discuss it there... in the Merc forum?

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, how much does the boat weigh, how much weight in the boat, water condidions, and how are you driving? all those will factor in how much gas you use. for example, i have a 12 foot zodiak, with about 350 estimated pounds on board, not counting the boat weight or engine, in water with a slight chop, i can troll all day. same boat, with just me and bare essentials for gear, mainly pdf, on calm water, i have maybe 4-5 hours of cruising, punching it at full throttle just because, etc. get another 6 gallon tank, just in case, and rotate tanks on outings. the spare tank can also help distribute trim of the boat, depending on where its placed.