65 OMC Johnson 17' Deluxe info tri hull

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class
did the yr 1965 come with a 150 hp merc inboard engine gas only my friend said it does I thought only came with buick or Johnson engines and some 2 stroke versions thanks ..hope you guys can post ASAP...........

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 65 OMC Johnson 17' Deluxe info tri hull

I'm thinking you're right on the OMC boat being powered by and OMC engine, unless its a frankenstein. Alot can happen in 45 years.

Gas only and not a gas oil mix sounds the Buick engine.

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my friend say the owner told him it was the original merc 150 hp engine I look up merc and could find inboards for 1965 but not much more with out model #,

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is there a swap for the old merc tranny to a newer one ,does anything bolt up or come close .........

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that came in the outboard and inboard models. they definitely were not mercury powered.

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

owner has had the boat for over 8 yrs but said that is the original motor that came with it ..is it possible you could order a merc back then for that boat?

Jakebob

Seaman

The point is that OMC and Mecury were (and are) competitors. It's possible that someone did a retro-fit or perhaps somehow mated a mercruiser motor to the OMC outdrive?

It's like trying to order a new Ford with a Chevy engine.

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I get you now ,okay the picture is coming together now! I,M WAITING FOR A MODEL # THIS WILL TELL ME I hope what yr the motor is thanks GUYS ......
I think you guys are great and this is a great place to get info hope you can help me again later if I buy this boat ... GaryQ

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry guys was posting on another site motor is v6 ford mercury thats the problem on a johnson stern drive I hope again I say this right anyway inboard motor to back drive ,.I will one day get all the terms right but you get what I,m saying.. so its a ford engine matched to a johnson power drive ..