• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

pic: boat put away for winter =(

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pic: boat put away for winter =(

Makes me sad. But at least it's a nice place to rest for the next few months. Looks kind of like a showroom.

Contemplating putting the trailer up on jack stands to take pressure off the tires... thoughts?

Re: pic: boat put away for winter =(

That does not look like it is put away for winter. More like on a show room floor of a dealer. What an awesome storage space for your boat. I bet you didn't even winterize it other than maybe pulled the drain plugs.

Comment

I'm jealous! Wish I had a nice indoor spot for mine. She's gunna winter outside under a tarp this year.
      sigpic

Comment

Jacking up to get the tires off the ground isn't a bad idea- but I've never done it. Boat sits on trailer outside in the cold MN winter season. Done this for the past 5 years, no problems with the tires that I can tell. But I'm not a heavy duty trailer user- boat sits in the water all season, only on the trailer winters, and I only put about 30 miles/year on the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by themaniam1 View Post
          That does not look like it is put away for winter. More like on a show room floor of a dealer. What an awesome storage space for your boat. I bet you didn't even winterize it other than maybe pulled the drain plugs.
          yeah i'm lucky, it's at my dad's place, he has a huge three-part garage, this room was set up for auto work. it does get cold in northern ohio, so i drained the cooling system, greased things up, cleaned, etc... but this room doesn't go much below 25 degrees in the winter.

Comment

Heck If you need a boatn' -fix- You can go sit it your boat in the middle of the winter and have a cold one . Put a little cocnut flavored suntan oil on a cotton ball so u can smell it Close your eyes and ....drift........
            86 THUNDERCRAFT LEGACY 18 FT MERCRUISER 4.3 2 BBL 185 HP ALPHA 1 GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, HOLD ON !!! TOW RIG 01 CHEVY SILVERADO STD CAB LONG BOX 4X4 5.3 Z71
            sigpic
            GO NAVY!!! USS MERRILL DD 976- SPRUANCE CLASS DESTROYER- ONBOARD 81-85 INTERIOR COMMUNICATION ELECTRICIAN PO 3RD CLASS- TEST SHIP FOR THE TOMAHAWK CRUISE MISSILE. NAS KEFLAVIK ICELAND 86-87

Comment

Nice boat and nice garage.

I need to get the water out of mine this weekend I think. Pretty sure I'm done tho it was in the 70's-80's Sat and Sunday.
              Weird how 60's feel so warm and nice in spring and in fall 60's feel cool and chilly. To me anyway.
              1977 Starcraft American 18' 165 Mercruiser.
              http://s226.photobucket.com/home/win...obra/allalbums

Comment

show movies of boating on those big white walls....

Dude you seriously need more stuff
                A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

I can't fathom missing out on the lake Erie perch and walleye BONANZA!
                  I'm in northeast ohio and won't tuck in till mid November, I love the tranquility of boating in the fall.
                  Your very fortunate to have such a nice storage facility, I'll have the typical struggle with snow and ice, keeping pressure off my wheels has never been high on my list, keeping them from sinking into the dirt yes, a patio block or piece of plywood works.
                  '90 Chaparral 2000SL
                  5.8 Cobra
                  '67 MFG Westfield Regal
                  80hp V-4
                  (No private messages)

Comment

Getting the weight off of the wheels is a good idea. Make sure you support it under the axle and not under the frame of the trailer.

Nice garage...I want one like that...
                    2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

Yessss,
                      I know the saddest day of the year for me is just around the corner. I know I'll have to do it over the next few weeks and yet my Wife is making (forcing) me go to New Jersey next weekend.

I might get one or two more weekends in, before I have to Mothball my rig until early May
                      That's 7 months of winter.

I'll leave room now below for the Fl boaters to come back with their comments like "we never have to put ours away"
                      2007 Lund 1425 Classic SS
                      2007 40 hp Merc 4 stroke EFI ELPT

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Boat/?start=0

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/a...-8-08/?start=0

Comment

Originally posted by Expidia View Post
                        and yet my Wife is making (forcing) me go to New Jersey next week
                        Putting away your boat AND going to Jersey?!? Wow...you must have done something really annoying to her...

82 degrees here (sunny FL) and we'll be at the island this Saturday. And then a 4 day trip on the boat the following weekend.

I'm sorry...was that condescending?
                        2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

For all of us in the north to all of you in the south we do envy you but don't blow your horn to loud. I hate the day I put my boat away for the year but I also keep thinking of whats to come in the spring. It's been a month now and I'm still cussing the Army Corp of engineers for draining my lake early to control the tributaries (horse hockey) well @ least that's thier excuse.
                          1996 Searay 175 Five Series
                          3.0LX ser #F553706
                          Alpha1Gen2 ser #OF530668
                          1998 Chevy1/2 tonW/T
                          "faster dad faster" my baby girl in the tube

Comment

40 years ago, after hearing thump thump thump in the spring, and after reading that trailer tires should be supported when not in use, I made a set of axle supports and used them for years. 20 years ago I bought a tandem trailer and got lazy at the same time and stopped jacking for winter. Haven't heard a thump since. They say tires are made better now and its no longer necessary. I've got 8", 12" and 13" boat trailer tires and I don't support any of them and don't see any issues.
                            2009 Starcraft 14' FLSS & Yamaha 25
                            2005 SeaDoo GTX 4-Tec 155
                            1984 Stingray SVB190SS & Mercruiser 3.0 Liter 140
                            1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
                            1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
                            1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
                            63 Outboards: 1919-2008, representing 11 manufacturers
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

I'm tossing around the idea of jacking mine up this year too. I haven't done it for the past 2 winters on the new tires & it hasn't shown any problems in the tires, but I get the theory behind doing it.
                              Benjamin Krein
                              Floats: 2008 Four Winns H200
                              Restoration: 1980 19' Century 190 Restoration
                              Tows: 2005 Nissan Titan SE

Comment

Working...
                              X