Morse C-3000 Hydraulic Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1991 Sea Ray 160 with Morse C-3000 Hydraulic Steering. What was the original fluid? I looked in the manual and it could be ATF or light hydraulic oil. I was thinking it could be Sea Star oil, but that may not be the case.

Also, does anyone know how to disassemble the hydraulic cylinder? It is NOT leaking, but I looked at the snap rings and didn't see what would come next (in case I ever did need to rebuild it).

THANKS!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Morse C-3000 Hydraulic Steering Fluid

I looked in the manual and it could be ATF or light hydraulic oil. I was thinking it could be Sea Star oil, but that may not be the case.

Ayuh,... It's All the same,.. Use whichever you want...

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked the helm today. It's down just a little. Appears to be a low viscosity light colored oil. Not red ATF. What weight oil would that be? :confused:I'm looking for something compatible with what is already in there.

Thanks in advance.

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally got back to this. The helm was down a bit. I don't know when if ever the helm was topped off since the boat is new to me. It's a 91 Sea Ray.

I checked the oil and it was a light almost clear color. I was going to top it off with Sea Star oil but a quart is pretty expensive for the ounce or two I needed. I compared viscosity to oils on hand and it was about a 5W. So I topped it off with 5W-20 that I had. I used a syringe to suck up the oil and squirt it in. Steers the same but now I know I won't get air in the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.