• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Tech Gear Lube Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Tech Gear Lube Oil

Does anyone know if I can use the Super Tech Gear Lubricant 80w-90 GL -5 to change my lower unit oil?

Re: Super Tech Gear Lube Oil

If you are going to use super tech from wal mart, why not use the super tech lower unit oil. I used to use it in my 1976 Johnson 70 hp outboard. When I got my newer 115hp Mariner I switched to the more expensive brand name oil and after 1 year I lost a lower unit. Can't say for sure the oil had anything to do with it, but I never had any problems with the supertech lower unit oil in my other motor.
    1988 Sea Ray Seville 16 BRO w/1997 Mariner 115
    My build thread
    My upholstery thread

Comment

Hi 109jb,

Thanks for replying. I just posted a pic of the oil. Could tell me if this is the same as what you used on your 70 hp Johnson? Please let me know. Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

No it's not the same that he used. He used the one called "MARINE" lower unit gear lube. Not all WalMarts have it though. If yours doesn't, they probably don't have the Pennzoil Marine Lower Unit lube, either. Look for that at an auto parts store, then. Do not use the regular gear oil in your outdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by hvluve View Post
          Hi 109jb,

Thanks for replying. I just posted a pic of the oil. Could tell me if this is the same as what you used on your 70 hp Johnson? Please let me know. Thanks.
          Nope. Not the same. As TilliamWe said, what I am talking about actually says marine lower unit gear lubricant on the bottle. In my wal mart it is found around the corner from the regular gear lube. It is grouped where the 2-stroke outboard oil is and next to the pumps that you use to fill the lower unit.
          My build thread
          My upholstery thread

Comment

Yea it's good stuff but use the 85-140 or what ever is close the that. The 80-90 is a little thin for a lower unit. Also use some synthetic with it either a blend or mix some in. Do not use straight syn however.

Never had a problem using regular gear oil in the lowers. 17 years so I don't think it's luck. Just do an oil change more often then every 5 years, like every fall.
            When will people learn that impellers require regular
            replacement and are not drive it till it pukes items?

1984 Regal Medallion 195
            3.8 V-6 with the dreaded
            OMC Stringer Drive.
            2003 Avalanche w/Hypertech

If it ain't fixable - don't break it!

Comment

If it were me, I'd only use what the mfg. specifies- most likely marine grade lower unit lube. I'm not sure how compatible standard (non marine) gear lube is with water. Marine grade lube, as I understand, can tolerate a certain amount of water intrusion, where the plain stuff may not.
              The brand itself I'd be fine with- but why not use specific lower unit lube?
              There really isn't any compelling reason, in my opinion, not to use something that meets that specified standard. I figure they know way more about it than I do.

Comment

I looked it up once and if I remember right, the Super Tech Lower Unit oil was actually manufactured by Penzoil or Quaker State
                My build thread
                My upholstery thread

Comment

I would at least go the "marine" specific stuff I'm sure regular gear lube would work but the extra few bucks for the right stuff would be piece of mind enough to use it. As others have said supposidly the marine grade is more forgiving as per water intrusion, foaming, etc. All this said if you have an older electric shift OD then I would reccomend only the stuff for elec. shift models.

Comment

Thanks everyone for replying. The reason I asked b/c my boat does not come with a manual so make it a little hard for me to do everything myself.

I have a Force 70 hp outboard. Does anyone know how much gear oil I should get or I need? Do you think 8oz is enough?

Thanks.

Comment

Not 100% sure but I don't think that would be enough, my old evinrude took over a quart.

Comment

Wow. I guess I need to get 2 QT to make sure I have enough. Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Working...
                        X