Another Marine Head question

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Didn't want to take the other thread off course.

The PO of my boat removed the freshwater pump head, and used the space for a large subwoofer box and amp. I have the owners manual (Thaks to the nice folks at Doral) and have a fairly good idea where everything is.

The waste tank is 13 gallons and resides under the batteries somewhere (I got brave...took the waste cap off...took a quick sniff from about a foot away...then closer...closer...whooo...no "Artifacts". Felt like CSI:Turdchaser. Kids laughed their butts off)

The seacock is in the ski-locker. I have not taken out the sub-box yet, so I don't know if he hacked off the plumbing and just left it there, or plugged the lines.

I'd like to replace the head, since I have young kids, but have a couple questions:

Are they all standard, or do I need a specific model / bolt pattern / etc.?

Can I put in an electric one, with the macerator?

I can't find a "Tank Level" guage anywhere...err, how do you know when it's full (or should I say BEFORE it's full)?

I have a sewer cleanout in the side yard, next to where the boat is parked. What kind of pump do I need to pump out at home if I'm not on a body of water with a pump-out?

It'll be 90% kids using it (I don't think I'd even fit in there) so mainly, uh, liquid waste. Do I just add some of the blue stuff to the empty tank before I go out?

Thanks in advance...never thought I'd own a boat with a head...

dirtdiver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another Marine Head question

I found some information, I've been thinking about putting on in for my wife.

This is from raritan, they make a lot of marine poopers

And I think these are just cool

rwidman

Lieutenant

Didn't want to take the other thread off course.

The PO of my boat removed the freshwater pump head, and used the space for a large subwoofer box and amp. I have the owners manual (Thaks to the nice folks at Doral) and have a fairly good idea where everything is.

The waste tank is 13 gallons and resides under the batteries somewhere (I got brave...took the waste cap off...took a quick sniff from about a foot away...then closer...closer...whooo...no "Artifacts". Felt like CSI:Turdchaser. Kids laughed their butts off)

The seacock is in the ski-locker. I have not taken out the sub-box yet, so I don't know if he hacked off the plumbing and just left it there, or plugged the lines.

I'd like to replace the head, since I have young kids, but have a couple questions:

Are they all standard, or do I need a specific model / bolt pattern / etc.?

Can I put in an electric one, with the macerator?

I can't find a "Tank Level" guage anywhere...err, how do you know when it's full (or should I say BEFORE it's full)?

I have a sewer cleanout in the side yard, next to where the boat is parked. What kind of pump do I need to pump out at home if I'm not on a body of water with a pump-out?

It'll be 90% kids using it (I don't think I'd even fit in there) so mainly, uh, liquid waste. Do I just add some of the blue stuff to the empty tank before I go out?

Thanks in advance...never thought I'd own a boat with a head...

Lots of questions:

First, what did the PO do, poop in the subwoofer? :rolleyes:

Heads are not standard, they have different bolt paterns and outlet positions. The boat manufacturer can probably tell you the make and model of the original head.

There's no real advantage to an electric head other than you push a button rather than pumping it manually. If you have young children, you will want to supervise them anyway.

Many boats don't have tank level monitors. It's pretty hard to keep them working. It's possible to install one that uses sensors glued to the outside of the tank. Do a web search.

I use a product called "Odorlos" as a tank treatment. It's a biological product and it works well for me. I believe it's better than harsh chemicals and perfumes.

I used to be in a situation like your with regards to pumpout facilities. This is what I put together and it worked well for me:

203062913.jpg

Before you get started, I suggest you buy and study this book:

51MVVWQ34HL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Rid-Boat-...r_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285714588&sr=8-1

It explains marine sanitation systems well.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lots of questions:

First, what did the PO do, poop in the subwoofer? :rolleyes:

Heads are not standard, they have different bolt paterns and outlet positions. The boat manufacturer can probably tell you the make and model of the original head.

There's no real advantage to an electric head other than you push a button rather than pumping it manually. If you have young children, you will want to supervise them anyway.

Many boats don't have tank level monitors. It's pretty hard to keep them working. It's possible to install one that uses sensors glued to the outside of the tank. Do a web search.

I use a product called "Odorlos" as a tank treatment. It's a biological product and it works well for me. I believe it's better than harsh chemicals and perfumes.

I used to be in a situation like your with regards to pumpout facilities. This is what I put together and it worked well for me:

203062913.jpg

Before you get started, I suggest you buy and study this book:

51MVVWQ34HL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Rid-Boat-...r_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285714588&sr=8-1

It explains marine sanitation systems well.

Thanks for the info! I've got an email in to Doral about the make/model of the head. Not so sure they will get back to me on that one. Gonna pull the subs and amp and see what I can get on eBay. Guess I'll find out whats underneath...

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

203062913.jpg

Rwidman, What kind of pump is that..where might I find one? Looks like a PVC pipe fitting into the waste port? Does it have a pickup tube that goes all the way to the bottom of the tank?

Thanks!

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

So here's what the nice folks at Doral replied with (Damned good customer service for a question about a head from a 9 year old boat, IMHO!)

"As I mentioned in my previous e-mail, I do not have very much information.
See attached 2 PDF files (only French version available) on plumbing. Also
the toilet that we installed was an ITT model #29000-3000."

I googled the part number...got nothing. Would the current 'big name' head suppliers be able to cross this number over? :confused:

rwidman

Lieutenant

Rwidman, What kind of pump is that..where might I find one? Looks like a PVC pipe fitting into the waste port? Does it have a pickup tube that goes all the way to the bottom of the tank?

Thanks!

It's a standard boat macerator pump. The kind that's installed in a boat that's capable of pumping sewage out at sea. Jabsco or Shurflow. West Marine or any marine parts retailer will have them.

7781735.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10111&subdeptNum=10687&classNum=10692

The waste port on any boat is connected to a hose that comes from the bottom of the holding tank. The PVC you see is just to attach the pump to the threads on the waste port. One piece stays on the pump, the other screws into the deck fitting in place of the cap. It's then a slip fit.

There's no extra tube attached to the pump. It sucks the waste out of the tank just like the one at the marina or pumpout station.

rwidman

Lieutenant

So here's what the nice folks at Doral replied with (Damned good customer service for a question about a head from a 9 year old boat, IMHO!)

"As I mentioned in my previous e-mail, I do not have very much information.
See attached 2 PDF files (only French version available) on plumbing. Also
the toilet that we installed was an ITT model #29000-3000."

I googled the part number...got nothing. Would the current 'big name' head suppliers be able to cross this number over? :confused:

ITT is now ITT Jabsco and they are one of the big suppliers of marine pumps and heads. There is contact information here:

http://www.ittflowcontrol.com/jabsco/manual-toilets.htm