Marine Head Question

acampane

Seaman
Not sure where to post this question so i'm going with it here. i have a 1990 25ft sea ray. Has a built in head (not porta potty) I go to pump the toilet and nothing happens switch the out valve and pump nothing happens. I get absolutely no pressure. I checked the on off valves and they are in the correct position. any help or troubleshooting would be appreciated thanks fellas

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Marine Head Question

Have you opened the seacocks? Open is inline with the valve.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Your built in head is now 20 years old. The ball valve and pump gaskets are probably shot. They make rebuild kits for them. Replace the gaskets and prime the head with water prior to using.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For your sake I am hoping you found this condition BEFORE someone used it...:eek:

acampane

Seaman

ha thanks fellas, im going to take is semi apart this weekend. I believe i will have to get a kit to reseal. as i go up and down with the manual pump i have no pressure what so ever. ill let you know, thanks for the help.

rwidman

Lieutenant

ha thanks fellas, im going to take is semi apart this weekend. I believe i will have to get a kit to reseal. as i go up and down with the manual pump i have no pressure what so ever. ill let you know, thanks for the help.

You are talking about a problem with the head, not the macerator, right?

It's a raw water flush, manual head, right?

The seacock is open and there's nothing clogging the hose between the seacock and the head?

Did it work fine one day and then not the next or has it been gradually getting worse?

Suggestions:

1. Get the rebuild kit before you try to take it apart. That way, you will have the instructions and the parts you will need.

2. Remove the head from the boat to work on it. Just a couple bolts and a couple hoses. It's far easier to work on it on a workbench or table than in a crowded compartment.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Suggestions:

1. Get the rebuild kit before you try to take it apart. That way, you will have the instructions and the parts you will need.

2. Remove the head from the boat to work on it. Just a couple bolts and a couple hoses. It's far easier to work on it on a workbench or table than in a crowded compartment.

3. DON'T CHEW YOUR FINGERNAILS!! :eek:

sasto

Captain

rwidman;2955069 1. Get the rebuild kit before you try to take it apart. That way said:
Great advice .........acampane.....and firemans for sure too, both.

acampane

Seaman

Rwidman its a manual. Macerator works. When I pump I get no water coming in or out. No matter which way the switch near toilet is flipped. No pressure. I'm assuming I need rebuild kit at this point.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Rwidman its a manual. Macerator works. When I pump I get no water coming in or out. No matter which way the switch near toilet is flipped. No pressure. I'm assuming I need rebuild kit at this point.
At some point, the less expensive manual heads simply wear out. When you price the rebuild kit, compare it to the price of the same brand and model new head. These sometimes go on sale for about twice the price of a rebuild kit.

Since you have to remove and reinstall the old one anyway, as well as take it apart to rebuild it, replacing can be an attractive option. It's new, possibly an improved design, and you get a new seat.