Yamaha Jet Boats

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was at my favorite boat dealer today. He sells Cruisers Yachts (I bought one from him some years ago) and Four Winns. He just signed on with Yamaha. He was telling me how advanced they are in boat building after he toured the factory. I've been thinking about buying a boat in the 21 foot range and the Yamaha jet boat looks super good (on paper as he hasn't received any boats from Yamaha yet). I'm concerned about general handling characteristics, especially in a big water body like Narragansett Bay where it can get choppy. In addition, I'm concerned that the boat might be a tad loud, sounding like a couple of jet skis. Another concern is I'm wondering if the intakes ever foul with debris. Therefore, anyone with jet boat experience, would you please give me the DL on jet boats? Thanks.

hoytvectrix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha Jet Boats

First off, I'm only familier with outboard jets on jon boats. I mostly use mine to run rivers and creeks, and sometimes big lakes.

When it gets pretty rough on the lakes, the intake of the jet sometimes comes out of the water and sucks air slowing you down... I'm sure this would be different for a big fiberglass boat with a V hull.

Like a jetski, you have to rev the engine at slow speeds to turn.

The jet will suck in debris, but you will feel it get clogged and most of the time, just shut off the engine and the stuff will fall out of the intake.

Also with the jet, you don't get the "bite" of a prop, when pulling a tuber or skiier or something the engine won't bog down, it will run at full throttle at a slower speed

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have ridden on many jet boats and had a jet ski. I sucked a couple ropes up before on the ski which was a pain. But with the jet boat's like above stated these boats make it REALLY easy to blow out what is wrapped in there. Loosing speed in choppy water is a hard one to discuss. If it is choppy enough in the water one shouldn't be riding on top of the waves as it is hard on the hull and motor ect. If you are riding in choppy water your going to loose speed no matter what design your sporting. If I was to buy another boat it would be a jet boat. Yamaha in my mind ABOVE 20 Feet make the best boat. I love the little seadoo's tho !!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

fuel consumption... if anyone tells you a modern jet is a fuel hog, walk away. It means they know nothing about what they are talking about...

Just a quick example. Two very similar boats and only a little over $1000 in price difference.

22' Bayliner with a 5.0 MPI. At WOT it does 49.0 mph 16.2 gph.
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=1914#Test-Result

Now the 21.5' yamaha jet. 100 more horsepower. The closest match on the chart is 51.3 mph at 18.4 . If you pulled back the throttle a little bit to match the bayliner speed, it might very likely be IDENTICAL.
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=1914#Test-Result

Here is the important one though... At a slightly slower speed, 43.3 mph, the jet is actually MORE efficient than the bayliner, 14.4 vs 14.7 gph.

45Auto

Commander

Figured I would help you out with your "fuel hog" examples, since you know so much about it. It's much easier to see them as graphs. I guess as long as you don't consider an 8.1L 425 HP Cobalt a "fuel hog" (same mileage as the Yamaha), then you can't consider the Yamaha a "fuel hog".

First 2 are your Bayliner and Yamaha examples. Next 3 are a few more examples from the 22' bowrider category with the Yamaha. The 425 HP Cobalt gets the same mileage as the Yamaha and is about 10 MPH faster, the 300 HP Caravelle gets about 20% better mileage and is also about 10 MPH faster, and the 270 HP Stingray gets 33% better mileage and is again about 10 MPH faster.

fm.jpg

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you guys commuting with your boat? This is for recreation. If you are that worried about fuel consumption, this isn't the hobby for you. Everyone that have ever went for a ride in my Seadoo Utopia, a jet boat, is impressed with the boat. It corners like it is on rails and can change direction on a dime. It's not for everyone but don't discount a boat simply because you have something different. I don't make fun of Prius because I drive a TDI....oh yeah, I do do that, don't I?!:D:D:D

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Figured I would help you out with your "fuel hog" examples, since you know so much about it. It's much easier to see them as graphs. I guess as long as you don't consider an 8.1L 425 HP Cobalt a "fuel hog" (same mileage as the Yamaha), then you can't consider the Yamaha a "fuel hog".

Great graph! That does show how close they all are... If you didn't know which line was which, there would be almost no way to pick out the jet boat. The only hint would be the increase in efficiency towards the top end, which most jets will exhibit. Which you did fail to mention that at WOT, 50 mph, the yamaha is at the top of the pack for efficiency...

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These are great responses! I'm not super interested in fuel efficiency. Being one who previously ran a motoryacht that sucked 15 gph, to me these small boats are all great on gas. I'm much more interested in how the boat handles, does it scream like a jet ski, and how often will I have maintenance issues,etc. I hope more people with jet boat experience can chime in here. Thanks.

Mainiac Boater

Seaman Apprentice

I bought my first jet boat this summer and have had a great time. Don't let people scare you about learning how to drive a jet boat. It is wicked maneuverable at all speeds and in 10 minutes out in the water experimenting you'll have a good handle on it.

moosekoot

Cadet

I researched both the Yamaha and Four Winns boats, bought the Four Winns. Would have prefered the Yamaha, just could not find one for the right price in Canada. A friend has the Yamaha AR230, its a great boat. Would buy the 23ft, over the 21ft, its roomier and not much difference in price. Go Yamaha, even though there is nothing wrong with Four Winns.

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There isn't any really good way to describe it other than the actual experience. You have to find someone to take you on a ride. After that, you can criticize all you want but I doubt you will. If you have been on a jet ski, it's like that!:cool: