20 MPH wind dangerous?

sasto

Captain
Re: 20 MPH wind dangerous?

The wind direction would also be a factor for me of whether I went or not.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

20 mph wind can be dangerous... If your lake is wide, the wind can create some pretty big white caps. I was on the river Wednesday with 20-25 mph winds. On a narrow river I saw 2 foot white caps! It wasn't a problem for my 22 footer, I just dropped the tabs and powered through, but I don't think I would want to be in those conditions in a small fishing boat.

robert graham

Admiral

14' boat with a 20MPH wind don't sound like much fun, and probably not real safe, either! Maybe wait for a calmer day. Good luck and try not to get killed!

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you're in doubt, don't go out.

You should always be confident in your ability to handle the boat in any conditions. If you're unsure, it's not worth the risk.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

They call for only 5 km/hr on sunday:confused:

My dad can go only tomorrow :( They changed the forecast to 20 KMH - 14 MPH.
Hopefully it will continue dropping....... if not then maybe Sunday

ziggy

Admiral

if ya can skipper a boat good, maybe go out. if your not sure of your seamanship skills stay at home for sure. most concerning to me would be the lack of hp ya got. lack of hp when out in the stuff can be pretty darn dangerous. when i was a kid, i boated to work. 16' alum. fishing boat, 6 hp sea king. coming home one night i rounded the island i had to go around. the wind just blew me right into the rocks (turned engine off and jumped in and walked the boat around the island in the end). perhaps i was to close to land, but it was a real drag to get going again. lack of hp and lack of seamanship skills got me into the prediciment i feel.

that said. ya can go out in the stuff if ya think yer up to it. albeit it is always more dangerous in the stuff....

fwiw...

that's a short (1st time i made a movie) movie of my local watering hole last monday. the lake is 2k sq acres. so pretty small. the winds were ssw, sustained 25-30mph w/gusts to 45. the movie is in the middle of the lake. the south side of the lake was very calm up against the shoreline. the north side was worse than ya see in my short clip...

it was also a drag to load. i had to approach the dock at 90* to the dock for the wind blowing me away. quite a challenge to grab a 19' boat and get her hooked up to the dock when ya gotta approach at 90* bow to dock...

good luck in your decision..

ps. i had my pfd on from start to finish that day. my boat is 19' hardtop, closed bow vhull, w/ much flair to it....

sasto

Captain

Several years ago a friend and I were fishing off Key West in a 10footer powered by 3hp. Winds kicked up....we had to spend the night on a little island full of mosquitoes or risk going to Cuba. If I knew then what I know now.....I would have gone to Cuba.

I like DBreskin's quote ......If your in doubt, don't go out

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The direction can be more important than the wind speed. Find a good leeward location and go for it.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Weather Channel shows steady winds at 15km/h, and gusts to 28km/h as of 11:26am EST.

In a 14' boat, that can be very dangerous, depending on skipper's skills. If you think you have the skills, then go for it. But, if you had the skills, you probably wouldn't be asking.

I also don't think it would be fun for you guys. Why not fish off the bank? Or better yet, go to a strip joint, buy some fish on the way home, and tell the wives you had a great day! j/k :D :D :D :D

WIMUSKY

Staff member

A NE wind would not be good. Depth can play a roll too on how rough the water is. Shallower inland lakes tend to kick up nasty whitecaps. I've had a 14' in good sized caps, it's not fun, but it is doable. I guess since you're even asking this question, you might want to stay home. Not trying to be mean..:)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Weather Channel shows steady winds at 15km/h, and gusts to 28km/h as of 11:26am EST.

In a 14' boat, that can be very dangerous, depending on skipper's skills. If
15km/h = 9 mph. Hardly anything worry about on a lake.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If the wind is too strong, don't count on just staying in the lee if it's on big water. a minor motor problem and you are blown away.
This is also why you have good anchors.

ziggy

Admiral

That looked fun Ziggy!;)
it was a gas for sure... fellow die hard boater... ;)
If the wind is too strong, don't count on just staying in the lee if it's on big water. a minor motor problem and you are blown away.
This is also why you have good anchors.
agreed for sure. ya really got to trust (know it's in fine working order) your equipment when going out in the stuff... personally, i considered my anchor situation prior to going out last monday. my main anchor is not the easiest to get to (under passenger seat). but i certainly was aware of where it was and know it's ready to be deployed if needed... my second anchor is more easy accessible and could be deployed right fast, albeit, i'm sure it'd have only slowed me a small amount. slower is slower though (time). when i first got out that day. i was alone on the lake too. not a sole around to help, if i needed it... felt better when at least one jetskier came out... i watched him too.... it was wild..

bassman284

Commander

On the lakes I frequent, a 20 mph wind is usually inconvenient or, depending on direction, more trouble than it's worth. These lakes are generally pretty small, with no more than a mile or mile and a half of water in a straight line. On MacBride, a 20-25 mph wind will raise white caps but generally no more than 2 foot waves. My 17 ft Lund is reasonably comfortable in this but any kind of precision fishing is out of the question. Just depends on how hard you want to work.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you're in doubt, don't go out.

You should always be confident in your ability to handle the boat in any conditions. If you're unsure, it's not worth the risk.

I am a fair weather boater. Both my boats will take more weather than want. I tool my big boat out twice this week. Both days had 10 to 20 MPH winds forecast. No problems.

GO! The time you spend with your dad is priceless. If the lake looks good-go. If it looks lumpy, go somewhere and shoot the breeze.