• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

20 MPH wind dangerous?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 MPH wind dangerous?

Well, I was going to go fishing tomorrow on lake scugog. Was going to troll for muskey or bass. I have 14 feet fishing boat with 6 hp evinrude on the back. Usually it is 2 of us in the boat.
    They are calling for 30 km/hour (20 MPH) winds. It is not a huge lake but fair size:
    http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...n-CA&FORM=BYFD

What do you guys think?

Re: 20 MPH wind dangerous?

The wind direction would also be a factor for me of whether I went or not.
    sigpic "Andrea C"

BOAT=Best Of All Times

"Everyday above ground is a good day"

Winterization=sneekers, jeans and a sweater.

Same Ship.....Different Day.

Comment

20 mph wind can be dangerous... If your lake is wide, the wind can create some pretty big white caps. I was on the river Wednesday with 20-25 mph winds. On a narrow river I saw 2 foot white caps! It wasn't a problem for my 22 footer, I just dropped the tabs and powered through, but I don't think I would want to be in those conditions in a small fishing boat.
      Baja Hammer
      "Higher Maintenance"
      port of Evansville, IN

Comment

14' boat with a 20MPH wind don't sound like much fun, and probably not real safe, either! Maybe wait for a calmer day. Good luck and try not to get killed!

Comment

Originally posted by ozenine View Post
          Well, I was going to go fishing tomorrow on lake scugog. Was going to troll for muskey or bass. I have 14 feet fishing boat with 6 hp evinrude on the back. Usually it is 2 of us in the boat.
          They are calling for 30 km/hour (20 MPH) winds. It is not a huge lake but fair size:
          http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...n-CA&FORM=BYFD

What do you guys think?
          They call for only 5 km/hr on sunday

Comment

If you're in doubt, don't go out.

You should always be confident in your ability to handle the boat in any conditions. If you're unsure, it's not worth the risk.
            1992 Four Winns Horizon 200 5.8L OMC Cobra. If you're looking for me on the water, watch for the striped bimini.
            sigpic
            1983 Prindle 16 catamaran
            Old Town Penobscot 16 canoe
            Fanatic F100 Sailboard

Comment

Originally posted by Aviator5 View Post
              They call for only 5 km/hr on sunday
              My dad can go only tomorrow They changed the forecast to 20 KMH - 14 MPH.
              Hopefully it will continue dropping....... if not then maybe Sunday

Comment

if ya can skipper a boat good, maybe go out. if your not sure of your seamanship skills stay at home for sure. most concerning to me would be the lack of hp ya got. lack of hp when out in the stuff can be pretty darn dangerous. when i was a kid, i boated to work. 16' alum. fishing boat, 6 hp sea king. coming home one night i rounded the island i had to go around. the wind just blew me right into the rocks (turned engine off and jumped in and walked the boat around the island in the end). perhaps i was to close to land, but it was a real drag to get going again. lack of hp and lack of seamanship skills got me into the prediciment i feel.

that said. ya can go out in the stuff if ya think yer up to it. albeit it is always more dangerous in the stuff....

fwiw...

that's a short (1st time i made a movie) movie of my local watering hole last monday. the lake is 2k sq acres. so pretty small. the winds were ssw, sustained 25-30mph w/gusts to 45. the movie is in the middle of the lake. the south side of the lake was very calm up against the shoreline. the north side was worse than ya see in my short clip...

it was also a drag to load. i had to approach the dock at 90* to the dock for the wind blowing me away. quite a challenge to grab a 19' boat and get her hooked up to the dock when ya gotta approach at 90* bow to dock...

good luck in your decision..

ps. i had my pfd on from start to finish that day. my boat is 19' hardtop, closed bow vhull, w/ much flair to it....
                'Lime Time'
                1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
                Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Comment

That looked fun Ziggy!
                  sigpic

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Comment

Several years ago a friend and I were fishing off Key West in a 10footer powered by 3hp. Winds kicked up....we had to spend the night on a little island full of mosquitoes or risk going to Cuba. If I knew then what I know now.....I would have gone to Cuba.

I like DBreskin's quote ......If your in doubt, don't go out
                    sigpic "Andrea C"

BOAT=Best Of All Times

"Everyday above ground is a good day"

Winterization=sneekers, jeans and a sweater.

Same Ship.....Different Day.

Comment

The direction can be more important than the wind speed. Find a good leeward location and go for it.
                      Grady White 226
                      200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                      Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                      Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                      ICOM M504A VHF
                      Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Weather Channel shows steady winds at 15km/h, and gusts to 28km/h as of 11:26am EST.

In a 14' boat, that can be very dangerous, depending on skipper's skills. If you think you have the skills, then go for it. But, if you had the skills, you probably wouldn't be asking.

I also don't think it would be fun for you guys. Why not fish off the bank? Or better yet, go to a strip joint, buy some fish on the way home, and tell the wives you had a great day! j/k
                        1994 Bayliner Capri 1604 w/94 70 Force (sold)
                        1984 SportCraft 222 OFF w/84 Mercruiser 488 & Alpha 1
                        1979 Sears Gamefisher 13'6" Aluminum w/1959 Johnson 10HP
                        1969 Smokin' Hot Wife

Comment

A NE wind would not be good. Depth can play a roll too on how rough the water is. Shallower inland lakes tend to kick up nasty whitecaps. I've had a 14' in good sized caps, it's not fun, but it is doable. I guess since you're even asking this question, you might want to stay home. Not trying to be mean..
                          How to start an argument online:
                          1) Express an opinion
                          2) Wait

2003 1650 Crestliner Fishawk SC
                          Johnson 60hp, 4 stroke, electronic fuel inj.
                          1979 Crestliner Crusader II 2455
                          Volvo/Penta 260hp Chevy, 280 outdrive SOLD

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Beefer View Post
                            Weather Channel shows steady winds at 15km/h, and gusts to 28km/h as of 11:26am EST.

In a 14' boat, that can be very dangerous, depending on skipper's skills. If
                            15km/h = 9 mph. Hardly anything worry about on a lake.
                            Grady White 226
                            200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                            Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                            Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                            ICOM M504A VHF
                            Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

If the wind is too strong, don't count on just staying in the lee if it's on big water. a minor motor problem and you are blown away.
                              This is also why you have good anchors.
                              A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

Working...
                              X