bennet/lenco trim tabs?

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HI im going to by trim tabs for my 20 feet daycruiser and like to know what you think: el-hydraulic or electric operatin? any thing workes when new but.... what about longalivety? want it to work more than a season you know.......the boat weigth is about 3000 lbs total w motor and stuff and size of tabs is 12¨x12¨.... :confused:

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: bennet/lenco trim tabs?

Trim tabs will easily last a decade or longer.<br /><br />Get Bennetts. <br /><br />Look, there isn't a thing wrong with Lencos and they have at least one advantage over Bennetts. That is they operate a bit faster.<br /><br />On the other hand you are talking about an awfully corrosive place to have to operate, particularly if you are a salt water guy. Given that does it make sense to install an electrically operated device there? Basically its an electric motor inside a casing with a screw dirve to push out a shaft. So you have seals and electricity.<br /><br />The bennetts have an almost indestructable semirigid hydraulic tube that will last forever. If a seal goes in an acculator they are easily replaced for about $40. The control unit, the pump, can be mounted anywhere on the boat that is convienent, mighty nice when you are wireing the thing.<br /><br />I hate to say this but I love to say this too. Bennett has service far beyond anything you have ever seen from any company you have ever dealt with anywhere in the world ever before. You can play around on the internet anywhere you want and get a reply back from one of the couple of Bennett employees who respond to questions about their products. Now, listen to this, if you have a problem and they see it they will respond, and if they respond in ever single case I know of, and there are hundreds - literly hundreds - no matter what the age of the system, no matter what part may have quit, no matter how the systme or boat may have been abused, Bennett has replaced anything and everything that was needed to make it like a new system for Free. That's right, for free. No age questions asked, no question about first or second or third owner, no questions at all. Just ask around, you'll see. Oh, its Tabman or Tabman-II as a name to look for on the message boards.<br /><br />So you look at that and you know its Bennetts you want.<br /><br />Thom

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Im about 50/50 on this...<br /><br />I have Lenco's, only because I had no space for the hydraulic pump.. <br /><br />The lenco electric actuators are noisey, and they are much faster than the hydraulics, almost too fast.. A little tap on the button is usually enuff to make a very noticable adjustment..<br /><br />As for longevity, the jury's still out.. They've only been on the boat for a few months.. I'll be the ginuea pig.. :p <br /><br /> I understand that there was/is an issue with the seals on the lenco actuators... Lenco says they've resolved that particular problem.. Personally, I would not put Lenco's on a boat that was kept in the water for more than a few days at a time because of past issues with leaking actuators..<br /><br />As for Bennetts, the first thing I would, and do, when I install or repair them, cut the plug off the wiring harness at the pump, splice the connection with heat shrink butt connectors and wire it straight... Seems to me that corrosion at that plug, along with the low quality wire Bennett supplies in it's harness (sorry Tabman, gotta say it), has been the root of most of the problems i've seen with them.. Keep in mind, most of the boats i work on are used exclusivly in saltwater, hence the many corrosion issues.. <br /><br />With either system, sooner or later, there's going to be an issue.. If I got 3-4 years out of either one without an issue, i'd consider myself happy..

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got an '81 with approx 1300 hrs on it. My dad bought it used - it's been mine since '92. I've got Bennetts and I've never had any problems with them. I worked on a boat with Bennetts and a leaky actuator. The reservoir would fill with seawater about every 2 weeks and all it took to get it going again was to refill with tx fluid. That wasn't my preferred method, but I wasn't paying the bills. Anyways, I was very impressed that they could eat saltwater and just keep on running. They've got my vote.

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bennett makes a nice system. i do replace a fair amount of cylinders over the course of a year. generally broken from backing into docks, occasionally they'll be sucking up water. new pump once in a blue moon (usually due to owner abuse). but overall a nice system. far cry better then Boat Levelers...<br /><br />my only complaint with them is that i don't understand why they don't have a metal threaded insert on the back of the cylinders for positive threading. the plastic threading can be sketchy if your not careful on installs.<br /><br />maybe someone from Bennett can enligten me...

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Wo-max,<br /><br />I work for Bennett so I am not subjective when it comes to which company to purchase, so I will leave that to others!<br /><br />Thomwv,<br /><br />Thank You for your kind words regarding our service!<br /><br />Snapperbait,<br /><br />No offence taken! Our Warranty is 5 years (and we are as Thom points out pretty generous after that), so if you don’t get at least 5 years out of a Bennett contact us!<br /><br />Airman,<br /><br />If you ever run into that situation again, contact us and we can send you a replacement O-ring for the actuator, no charge that will fix that problem with 10 minutes work.<br /><br />Ryoken,<br /><br />Good question, yes it does take some care to install the nipple onto the threaded upper hinge, but we find that the seal between the tapered pipe thread of the nipple and the softer nylon of the actuator is excellent and is worth a little fussing. It sounds like you are a Dealer, if so send you address to my E-mail Tmcgow@bennetttrimtabs.com and I will have a dealer service parts kit sent to you no charge. It includes parts to fix actuators broken by hitting a dock, and the O-rings I mentioned above as well as other frequently used spare parts. Dealers find it useful for turning around a boater in a hurry.<br /><br />I hope this helps,<br /><br />Tom McGow<br />Bennett Marine

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info! yes saltwater....5 months a season...in water all the time.....think i have to study both systems closely first...both serviiseability and materials used....the use make me do extended service every year... cheking every thing electric and mecanikal...i make all my equipment myself...svimplatform ob bracket tanks and so on...cause then i know the materials are good...i have seen a lot of junk thru the years.. :( but you have given me a lot of useful tips..good for us w less $$ :)

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tabman, Thanks for the heads up on service. The problem wasn't a lack of parts though, the company was too cheap to ever haul their boats. If I remember correctly that particular boat also had a bad vibration from a bent something underwater but they just kept driving it anyways. I no longer work for them.

Snailman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been considering trim tabs for my 21' cuddy. I use a hydrofoil now.<br /><br />I must say, Tabman, after reading your posts to these forums and reading up on your product.... when I do find the $$ to get trim tabs they're gonna be Bennetts. If I go with my dream and just buy a new boat in 2 years Bennett Trim Tabs are gonna be on her. <br /><br />SOLD! :D