Boats with a four cylinder 3.0 inboard/outboard?

rockdog57

Cadet
I'm thinking of getting another boat. 17 to 18 foot open bow. A lot of what I am seeing have a 3.0 four in them. My last boat had a 5.7 in it. It was a 19 foot tri hull and was a heavy beast.
So those of you that own a boat with a four in it, is it gutless? Will it pull skiers with others in the boat? Will it go over 30 miles an hour?
One I'm thinking of looking at is a 97 Glastron 17 footer.
Let me know of your experiences so I don't make a mistake.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boats with a four cylinder 3.0 inboard/outboard?

It's a solid motor and will perform adequately in a 17-18' boat. My uncle has one in a SeaRay 175 and has used it almost exclusively for watersports since '95. Do they prefer to take his buddies boat with the V8 when he feels like draggin' it down? Sure, but the 3.0 gets the job done. His will hit 40 MPH.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the 3.0 in my 18' bowrider and it fine. Can get up to 30 plus easy with 5 ppl on board.

rockdog57

Cadet

What motor is the 3.0 based on? Chev, Ford...?

jkust

Rear Admiral

I rarely see anyone post their dislike of the 3.0 and also see some fantastic claims of its abilities. The dry weight of the boat is key with a 3.0. Heavier will be less capable than lighter. I like my 4.3 in my 18 footer and believe it to be capable until I ride in the same 18 foot boat model with the optional 270hp engine and see what capable really means. I also used to think my minivan was a capable tow vehicle until I bought an suv. Again my paradigm shifted. The point being you will need to test the boats on the water to decide. My capable could be your wildly incapable. I am an advocate of the biggest engine available on any given model assuming you can locate one which is sometimes much easier said than done. After owning a v6, I wouldn't accept a 3.0 and I'm sure some v8 owners have a similar thought process.

DrLugOD

Cadet

I have a Aquatron 18 footer with a 3.0. While it is not fast, it does what I want it to do. Does upper 30's on a good day. Pulls tubers just fine.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had my 16.5 ft to 35 with 2 adults and a 17p prop heading down river. I get 32 with 4 aboard heading up river.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Will it go over 30 miles an hour?
QUOTE]

Don't forget any speeds you see quoted need to be GPS verified since pitot speedos are notoriously inaccurate.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

mine is gps

45Auto

Commander

Jkust, that was the best post on a 3.0L that I've ever seen. You described my feelings exactly.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jkust, that was the best post on a 3.0L that I've ever seen. You described my feelings exactly.

Agreed, I would love more speed/power, but I do love my 3.0. Its a good motor, its efficient and it reliable. In my case, its a wise choice not to have more speed/power as I would use it and I have a 1 year old and another on the way, so low to mid 30s on the water is good.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 17.5 ft with a 3.0. Using a 19P stainless prop it runs 40 or so according to the speedo with 2 people on board. Put on 4-5 and it drops down to 35 or so.

Attachments

• IMG_2869.jpg
    IMG_2869.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 0

bow wow rider

Seaman

i have a 3.0 volvo penta SX on a 17 foot four winns open bow. i love the 3.0. it will get me up to 40-42 mph.

yeah it will do water sports with people on the boat. the other great thing is the fuel economy.

45Auto

Commander

Boattest.com:

MPG.jpg

Stingrayboats.com:

You may find the MPG and engine size columns interesting.

sr1copy.jpg

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rockdog,

I have an 18 foot Four Winns with the 3L in it. My motor is tired , at 1000+ hrs , but still gets the job done. Tubing, skiing, etc. That being said, I suffer from wanting a bit more power. It is kinda a dog getting out of the hole, but I still have fun.

30 mph? no problem.

Jkust- Well said.

dvandsm64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cool graph.

any boat is better than no boat.

enjoy what you have.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

After using my fathers 2.5 litre 120 hp Merc on his boat for a lot of years I got my 20' with a 4.3 OMC. Big difference to me. Now I wish I had an eight in it. It can be a dog with more than 4 people on board. The good news on that is I rarely have that many people on board. It obviously comes down to preference. Like someone said here, take it out and run and see for yourself firsthand.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you get at 5.7, you'll probably NEVER say to yourself, "I wish I had that 3.0!" But if you get the 3.0, you probably will say to yourself, "I wish I had that 5.7."

I'm just sayin', "You can't ever have enough money... or horsepower."

Good luck!

the_smoo

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2004 tahoe Q4 (19.5 ft) and it has the 3.0L mercruiser. 14.25X19 4 blade...

2 adults and 2 kids it will easily to 38 mph in good conditions (gps)... tows tubes easy... kneeboarded 200lb adults not a problem.. not tried skiing yet. Had 4 adults an three kids and still managed over 30 mph easily.

For me and my small family of two kids, I would say that it is adequate for what we want and need.

Easiest way is to just test for yourself rather than listen to a chorus line of armchair critics..