• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boats with a four cylinder 3.0 inboard/outboard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boats with a four cylinder 3.0 inboard/outboard?

I'm thinking of getting another boat. 17 to 18 foot open bow. A lot of what I am seeing have a 3.0 four in them. My last boat had a 5.7 in it. It was a 19 foot tri hull and was a heavy beast.
    So those of you that own a boat with a four in it, is it gutless? Will it pull skiers with others in the boat? Will it go over 30 miles an hour?
    One I'm thinking of looking at is a 97 Glastron 17 footer.
    Let me know of your experiences so I don't make a mistake.

Re: Boats with a four cylinder 3.0 inboard/outboard?

It's a solid motor and will perform adequately in a 17-18' boat. My uncle has one in a SeaRay 175 and has used it almost exclusively for watersports since '95. Do they prefer to take his buddies boat with the V8 when he feels like draggin' it down? Sure, but the 3.0 gets the job done. His will hit 40 MPH.
    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

I have the 3.0 in my 18' bowrider and it fine. Can get up to 30 plus easy with 5 ppl on board.
      Current:
      2006 Sea Ray 240 Sundancer, Mercruiser 5.0l MPI I/O Bravo III.

Previous:
      2010 Bayliner 185 Bowrider, 18', Mercruiser 3.0l I/O Alpha One w/ Power Steering.
      "Just Dillydally"

Comment

What motor is the 3.0 based on? Chev, Ford...?

Comment

I rarely see anyone post their dislike of the 3.0 and also see some fantastic claims of its abilities. The dry weight of the boat is key with a 3.0. Heavier will be less capable than lighter. I like my 4.3 in my 18 footer and believe it to be capable until I ride in the same 18 foot boat model with the optional 270hp engine and see what capable really means. I also used to think my minivan was a capable tow vehicle until I bought an suv. Again my paradigm shifted. The point being you will need to test the boats on the water to decide. My capable could be your wildly incapable. I am an advocate of the biggest engine available on any given model assuming you can locate one which is sometimes much easier said than done. After owning a v6, I wouldn't accept a 3.0 and I'm sure some v8 owners have a similar thought process.
          2003 Chaparral 183SS

Comment

I have a Aquatron 18 footer with a 3.0. While it is not fast, it does what I want it to do. Does upper 30's on a good day. Pulls tubers just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by rockdog57 View Post
              What motor is the 3.0 based on? Chev, Ford...?
              chev
              2003 Chaparral 183SS

Comment

I have had my 16.5 ft to 35 with 2 adults and a 17p prop heading down river. I get 32 with 4 aboard heading up river.
                1987 Glassport 165rx

Comment

[QUOTE=rockdog57;2931408]Will it go over 30 miles an hour?
                  QUOTE]

Don't forget any speeds you see quoted need to be GPS verified since pitot speedos are notoriously inaccurate.
                  2003 Chaparral 183SS

Comment

mine is gps
                    1987 Glassport 165rx

Comment

Jkust, that was the best post on a 3.0L that I've ever seen. You described my feelings exactly.
                      Any opinions expressed above are worth exactly what you paid for them!

Comment

Originally posted by 45Auto View Post
                        Jkust, that was the best post on a 3.0L that I've ever seen. You described my feelings exactly.
                        Agreed, I would love more speed/power, but I do love my 3.0. Its a good motor, its efficient and it reliable. In my case, its a wise choice not to have more speed/power as I would use it and I have a 1 year old and another on the way, so low to mid 30s on the water is good.
                        1987 Glassport 165rx

Comment

I have a 17.5 ft with a 3.0. Using a 19P stainless prop it runs 40 or so according to the speedo with 2 people on board. Put on 4-5 and it drops down to 35 or so.
                          Attached Files

Comment

i have a 3.0 volvo penta SX on a 17 foot four winns open bow. i love the 3.0. it will get me up to 40-42 mph.

yeah it will do water sports with people on the boat. the other great thing is the fuel economy.

Comment

Boattest.com:

Stingrayboats.com:

You may find the MPG and engine size columns interesting.

Any opinions expressed above are worth exactly what you paid for them!

Comment

Working...
                              X