humminbird 798c si and icom 422

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was reading the about the capabilities of the 422 radio.

" Position Request and Position Report with External GPS Receiver

With an external GPS receiver, the position request and position report functions allow you to exchange ships position. The received position information can be plotted on a third party GPS or other navigation equipment which accepts NMEA data format. The polling (request/reply) function checks whether a specific ship is in the communication range."

I'm assuming that if I purchased this radio and hooked it up to my humminbird for the DSC coordinates it will work. However, am I correct in thinking the position request/report function will NOT be displayed on the GPS's screen? Or am I perceiving this technology wrong? When I first read this I was thinking I can hook this up and the positions would be displayed on my screen.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: humminbird 798c si and icom 422

No idea as to the answer to your question but you might want to try the humminbird side imaging yahoo group...some employees from Humminbird post there and and answer questions pretty quickly. I have been reading there lately as I am getting ready to by a side imaging unit.

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=1

How do you like the 798c? I'm probably going to wait until X-mas and see if there will be a price drop before I purchase but I am pretty much sold on the side imaging!

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I like it. With a quick flash of the firmware it now does the "down imaging" that lowrance is marketing.

The side imaging takes some getting used to and it really hasn't helped me to catch more fish yet. That's just because of my fishing habits and how frequently I fish though. It really does help you find hidden structure but I haven't been able to find balls of fish like many have in the screenshots. I wish I would have bought the one with a bigger screen.

Overall, everything works well as advertised and I've yet to have a problem with it. I've had for 1.5 years now.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info....yea I would like the one with the bigger screen too but the price increase is rediculous...always wondered why they sell for almost double the cost just for an extra couple of inches!