Warning - Seasense bilge pump float switch - recommend best switch?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
I had a Seasense float switch (white plastic). Decided to test it with the garden hose (boat floating at dock) and it was NOT reliable.

I had the switch fully submerged and it was floating all the way up, with 3 inches of water over it....NOPE.... no go

I reached under the water and just ticked the unit with my finger and "click"...the pump starts pumping.

I went and bought a new Seasense switch (the only brand they carry locally), and installed it. This new one is grey plastic- old one was white.

Guess what:

Same deal!!!!

If you lift it with a very slow gradual speed (as it would in a slow leak), it will sit in the full up position but not close its contacts.
If you lift it fast, it closes fine and the pump cycles.

How can they make these boat sinking crap switches?

Is there a quality one on the market?

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Warning - Seasense bilge pump float switch - recommend best switch?

I bought an Attwood float switch at Walmart, $10. Works perfect, tried it a couple times by filling the bilge.

SeaSense stuff is bottom of the barrel :rolleyes:

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Rule float switches are pretty basic and reliable, although there are more sophisticated and expensive designs.

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most of the bilge pump switches I've seen use a magnetic type switch, much like a pair of alarm contacts. This allows the actual switching function to be completely sealed.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I have the same gray switch, it failed on me 3 weeks ago, only the 2nd time it was used. Almost sank my boat while moored in a rain storm. The arm never went up, gave it a tap just like you and it worked. Thought it was a fluke, guess now I'll replace it.

Alumarine

Captain

If this is the type that feels like it has a steel ball that rolls to make the contacts close I've had 2 that worked poorly.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Sure Bail, this is the mercury switch model, 8 years in my bilge still working well...

Attachments

• sure bail.jpg
    sure bail.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

wow that sure-bail is rare... ONE on all of eBay...no Canadian ship...looks good - no mercury now - called the E2 model

Attwood's $10 switch is $27.99 in Canada of course

ordered the Rule-A-Matic? Plus? from iboats. $66 to my door. hope it works well.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

:) oh yeah... lots to love here, but boat parts pricing not one of them

I figured I was halfway to getting a quality one - and if $66 keeps my boat afloat some day when everything else is going wrong.... it will be a good investment... and I think iboats will stand behind it if it doesn't test well.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Sound reasoning ... Good choice!