Do I really need a windshield?

kilapest

Recruit
I have a 2000 Glastron SX175 17Ft runabout. I can't see well out of boat because the top of the windshield frame is eye level (especially nerve racking while towing the kids) So I tend to sit on top of the seatback and now causing damage to the seat and it's very uncomfortable.

My question is, do I really need to have that windshield and why?

Anyone know how to remove the windshield and frame?

Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Do I really need a windshield?

Welcome to iboats.

No requirement for the windshield except for comfort and visibility........ I doubt you would be happy running w/o it.

If the seating position is wrong you have choices to raise the seat, change the seat or continue to sit on top.

If you insist on removing the windshield ......... it is held on with bolts that are usually in the most possible inconvenient places under your dash and gunwale ........ remove the nuts and lift the windshield assembly off

kilapest

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome Bob. I never thought about changing the seat. I assume I would need a taller seat to get me better vision. But that would put my head above the windshield and not sure the difference of that from removing the windshield.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Even with your head above the windshield frame, you will still benefit from significant wind (and water) blocking. You can also duck down behind it when you know you're going to be taking some spray over the bow. I would leave it in place.

kilapest

Recruit

My seat base is 6 inches. Seems that I would only need to change out the seats with a 10 inch base and leave the winshield in place. Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Consider this .......

Your boat ;) You are the Captain.

Can you sacrifice the seat behind the driver's seat?

Consider changing your seat to a bucket with a height adjustable pedestal.

Or

you can build up the seat mount which is easier and cheaper

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Get one with a built in hinged bolster. You can raise it when you want to see over the windshield, and lower it when you want to see through it.

kilapest

Recruit

I just took my baby's booster step (5 inches tall) out to the boat, placed it on the seat and sat down. Made all the difference in the world.

I think the pedastal seat (thanks Bob) is the way I will correct this problem.

And to think I was just out there cleaning up the boat to sell because of this problem. It's when I sat down at the wheel that I got that feeling that there had to be a way to fix this, rather than selling it.

Thanks

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

I'm probably going to replace my seats next year, and these are the ones I've been eyeing.

266-1-md.jpg

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont think I have actually SAT in the drivers seat while towing ever in my boat. I am always standing.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Don't know about enforcement where you are, but...
Sitting on top of the seatback, or standing while the boat is underway, is illegal in many locales.
Same as having someone sitting on the bow, or top of the gunwale.

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

Next time (if) your caught in the rain stand up and drive the boat back to the dock.

If you remove the windshield thats what it will be like if you ever get stuck in the rain.

My seats actually a little too low. I have been stuck driving home in the rain twice now and I have to hide behind the windshield so it doesnt feel like Im getting sandblasted in my face.

Bigprairie1

Commander

No, you need sunglasses....but very cool ones.
BP;):cool:

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

The original owner of my boat was not the tallest man in the room. He had difficulty seeing through the window, nevermind the frame.

I don't know what kind of seats you have, but my boat has seats similar to this:
971537-lc-800_2.jpg

The original owner put 2 4x4 blocks between the seat and the pedestal to raise it up so he could see. May work for you as an inexpensive, yet effective way of raising your sitting position.

You can kind of see what he did on the captain's chair here:

PICT1051.jpg

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Do you absolutely have to have one? No.

Are they very convenient? Absolutely. One time that I especially appreciate having a windshield, is just before dark, when the bugs are thick. I'd much rather watch the "splat" on it, than to pick them out of my teeth!

???

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Get one with a built in hinged bolster. You can raise it when you want to see over the windshield, and lower it when you want to see through it.

^^^^^^^ What he said!

When we got the Rinker in my sig that was a big selling point for us. And it never fails every time we are out I or the Admiraless comments how much we like the flip up/down bolster. They really make a huge difference. I actually contemplated removing the winsheild in our previous boat, but we ended up getting a new boat:D

ma glastron

Seaman

Wow thats funny, as I was pulling the tube in my 2000 175sx glaston yesterday. I was thinking of up grading my seat over the winter to see over my windshield.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same problem here but I just sit on my throwable cushion. (pfd) It adds about 3" which works just fine. On occassion I may stand up for better visibility but that's optional. You may try the "booster" flotation cushion for $10 before spending the coin on an entire new seat. I would admit that an adjustable height pedestal seat does sound pretty nice though.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same problem here but I just sit on my throwable cushion. (pfd) It adds about 3" which works just fine.

We do the same thing! It makes the ride height perfect and it is VERY accessible if needed.