78 cee bee avenger boat ?

nascarguy320

Cadet
I am going to be working on my boat over the winter and have a few questions. First is the boat has a metal flake (brown) stripes and white gel, the bottom and the sides are still smooth but the top you can feel the flake and it comes off on your hands, how and with what will take care of this, plus I wouls like to repaint or gel it all white with some blue and yellow pin strips going to do a corona theme on it. I have all the interior out and will be working on that too. I dont know alot about boats and this will be my first time working on a boat and I will be on here alot more with more questions when I start working on it.

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 78 cee bee avenger boat ?

I'm a little confused... Are you looking to fix the metal flake and then re paint everything else?

nascarguy320

Cadet

No I want all the metal flake gone then repaint the boat. I want to restore it and repaint it in the colors I want on it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I removed the metalflake finish on my '74 Avenger, and repainted it white. The real big problem was that the paint melted when sanding it. This clogged the paper.

I recomend you use some fiberglass safe paint stripper, and a putty knife to remove as much paint as possible. Watch out as that stuff can eat the gelcoat. Then get the coursest wet/dry sandpaper and use a phenmatic sander and lots of water to get the balance of the paint off. Now fill any gouges with marine poly putty and prime with some epoxy primer to fix any crazing. Wet sand to at least 220 grit, and spray on a top coat of your choice. Use a marine polyurethane paint, like Brightside, provided the boat is trailered. If you want to keep it in the water, use a polyurethane paint suitable for that use.

NYBo

Admiral

I don't think it's metalflake paint he's dealing with. The metalflake is in the gelcoat if it's like the bass boat I used to have. Careful sanding to get it smooth followed by a primer/sealer should do it.

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think it's metalflake paint he's dealing with. The metalflake is in the gelcoat if it's like the bass boat I used to have. Careful sanding to get it smooth followed by a primer/sealer should do it.

I agree.

After the primer sealer use a guide coat to "block sand" the boat straight.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

being the owner of an avenger with metal flake paint I think i'll agree with the OP it's paint. see the striping on the deck of mine. I believe that's what he is talking about. If I'm not mistaken it is paint.

Attachments

• lake.jpg
    lake.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0