Stainless Steel Flush Mount Rod Holder on an Aluminum Boat?

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I bought two Scotty Stainless Steel Rod Holders (304 SS) of the flush mount type for my aluminum boat, and I hadn't thought about the possibility of galvanic corrosion between the two when they come in contact. I plan to install them on each corner of the stern.

Is there a way to avoid this reaction or should I abandon these rod holders in favor of plastic or aluminum ones?

Here are the rod holders:

4923888569_f26f85fb84_z.jpg

And here's my boat, one will go just behind where the fish finder is, and the other behind the steering seat:

4879609050_f70ee4e539_z.jpg

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Stainless Steel Flush Mount Rod Holder on an Aluminum Boat?

While I do not like that type of pole holder there will be no problem with them on the boat.
My boat is a 1980 Crestliner Aluminum boat and it spends half of it time in Salt Water.
In 1981 I installed Bennett Stainless Steel Trimtabs on the transom and I can see no effect at all.
Trim Tabs come with stainless steel screws but I used bolts instead with a stainless steel washer inside.
Used Silicon seal inside and out side to insure no leaks.
I should also tell you my boat is a trailer boat so is removed from the salt water and rinsed each day.

I much prefer the Scotty Stainless steel rod holders that are removable and adjustable. Advantage is they can be adjusted to any angle and rotated 360 degrees. So can adapt to any type of fishing. Also do not need to drill big holes in the boat.

http://www.iboats.com/Scotty-Strike...8439153--**********.624404205--view_id.480621

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I think alum/stainless play pretty well together..... besides that rubber seal/flap isolates the flange..... drilling the holes slightly oversize and using teflon washers under the nuts and o rings on the bolts (under the flange) will insulate the tube and hardware

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice

Yes I use my boat in saltwater as well. I was thinking of covering the rod holders in vinyl before installing them, so that no part of them comes in direct contact with the aluminum.

Also, I meant to say that these are Smith rod holders, but I also bought 2 adjustable Scottys, the standard ones with 360 rotation and the locking ring for added versatility like you said.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You will have no problem mixing a 5XXX series aluminum with 304 stainless. Install the holders in a bed of silicon to keep water from getting between the two materials (crevice corrosion). Use stainless bolts and you shouldn?t have anything to worry about.

Plastic rod holders for saltwater fishing? :eek:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Yes sir, seen them all the time when trolling for football size tuna, setup as "out riggers" like the ones on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c988hrCldI
Much different tuna trolling than I'm used to.

Around here, the chances that you will hook-up with something much bigger than footballs is pretty good. Penn and Shimano 50's and 80's are pretty standard gear.

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice

Much different tuna trolling than I'm used to.

Around here, the chances that you will hook-up with something much bigger than footballs is pretty good. Penn and Shimano 50's and 80's are pretty standard gear.

I fish the middle Sea of Cortez, the average YFT here are 20-25 lbs, biggest I've seen are around 70 lbs or so, but they are rare. Further south you do get some cows. Luckily we have bigger fish such as Striped Marlin and Yellowtail. We fish Tyrnos 20 and 30 and Tiagra 16's, with braid backing and mono topshots.

Been wanting to rig my boat for a 5 rod spread for a while. I usually fish in a bigger boat, but the seas are usually calm most of the year around here, and many people fish off 15-18 aluminum boats such as mine. These boats are easy to launch from a beach.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You could get a roll of gasket material from Autozone and put a gasket between the holder and boat but I don't think you will have a problem.

Every single screw, nut and bolt in my aluminum boat is stainless and out of the couple hundred I have aeen a small reaction on 1-2 screws so you should be okay.