pitot tube on alpha gen 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_reed

Cadet
hey guys
my speedometer has not worked in years... ever since running over that scrap of 2x4 floating on the lake. when I pulled the boat there was a small piece of wood stuck in the hole / pitot tube? I tried the drill bit trick which did not help. the question: what is in there? is there some mechanical part or impellor that could have been damaged or does the water just pass thru. I have looked at some schematics which has proved unhelpful. -jay

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: pitot tube on alpha gen 2

blowing up the tube will reveal if the tube is blocked.really works on pressure.could be a blockage and will have to be investigated if its your tube ,speedo or in lower unit.

cr2k

Captain

Hole does a 90 and goes up to the fitting right behind the nut in the front of the lower drive. If this is not connected or broken you will not have speedo working also. If you can I would take this fitting off and blow from there to blow any obstruction out the pitot, rather then blow it deeper in the system.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Just pull the hose off and blow into it. If the speedometer moves then trow the pitot away and get a new one. It just not worth the time to try and fix it at $6.04.

http://www.iboats.com/Pitot-Tube-Seachoice/dm/*******.928439153--**********.751548283--view_id.70526

I messed with mine longer than I should have this spring. Then ordered a new one and installed. New one is heavier duty and has extra holes to match any of the old ones. Took less than 10 minutes to install.

TilliamWe

Banned

Boatist, while we know you are trying to help, your post is not helpful. An Alpha One Gen 2 has the pitot INTEGRATED into the outdrive. Nothing like the link you provided. Not applicable.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

what is in there? is there some mechanical part or impellor

There is nothing in there. Your speedo is just a pressure gauge with the scale marked as mph instead of psi.

I would take this fitting off and blow from there to blow any obstruction out the pitot, rather then blow it deeper in the system.

Best advice yet. Also, blow out the tube from the speedo to the drive - could be mold/algae blocked.

j_reed

Cadet

thanks for the replys, I am still a little unclear how/where the water exits, I have looked at this in the past and could see where it enters but that was it. the boat has been twice to different mechanics over the last 5 years to have the impeller changed, I mentioned the repair to both, afterwards both said they had forgotten about it and did not have the part to repair. is this when I will actually have access to the area? when splitting lower unit to replace impeller/water pump? I am pulling the boat for the season in a couple of weeks.
thanks.
-jay

1995 searay 195
4.3 alpha gen 2

TilliamWe

Banned

The water doesn't go anywhere. Air goes up the tube, not water. The area will only be a little more accessible when the lower unit is removed.

Does this picture help you visualize where the fitting is? It's Cross shaped, press in, turn 1/4 turn type thing. It is COMMONLY forgotten when the drive is removed. It either pulls out or breaks.

MVC-112S.jpg

And i know you know, but this is the hole in the lower unit that gets the dirt/crud in it.

MVC-111S.jpg

Mackcspri

Recruit

What is a part number for the speedometer hose clip that connects with the Lower unit

joelsidell2000

Recruit
I cannot locate the tube farther up or outside the outdrive to access it. Evidently it is within the flexible protective articulated covering leading thru the transom. Does it continue as a rubber tube or couple-up to another tube?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I cannot locate the tube farther up or outside the outdrive to access it. Evidently it is within the flexible protective articulated covering leading thru the transom. Does it continue as a rubber tube or couple-up to another tube?

Joel - You are hijacking a 7 year old thread. For best results start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.