• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Efficient Cruisers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Efficient Cruisers

Hi,

Does anyone know if any manufactures produce economical (fuel efficient) 24-26 ft cabin cruisers? Most cabin cruisers in this price range consume about 10-12 gallons/hour. I am willing to sacrifice some speed (willing to go with let's say 12-15kt/hour) to save fuel and operate.

I know that dieseled engine cruisers are not common in this size range.

Inflatable RIBs are more economical, but they do not have cuddy cabins.

Kind regards!

Re: Fuel Efficient Cruisers

You are asking a lot. 26 footers traveling 15Kts are planing hulls. 10-12 gal/hour implies no more than 200HP. There are not many boats that fit that size, speed and economy categories, likely none.

Trawlers operate at displacement speed, likely 7 Kts, have plenty of cabin space and a small motors, say a single 125HP Diesel. They are very fuel efficient, however, if you want to plane the boat, about you need 3X the HP, and about 3X the fuel consumption.

Comment

You might take a look at the Albin TE. I know they make a 28', and I think they used to make a 26. Nice looking downeast with a single diesel and bow thruster. If I remember right, the newer 28's cruise around 18knots and top out around 22-24.

I've got a 29' cuddy that cruises about 30 knots at 12 gph. Unfortunately, its about 12 gph per engine.
      DSiekman
      2000 Cobalt 293 Twin Volvo 5.0 Gi DP
      2001 F250 7.3 Powerstroke

Comment

C Dory, Rosborough, and Ranger Tug are three manufacturers of "cruisers" or trawlers in that size range that can be very efficient if operated at or near hull speed.

http://www.c-dory.com/

http://www.rosboroughboats.com/about.html

http://www.rangertugs.com/r/

There are others.
        Ron

2000 Camano Troll
        North Charleston, SC

Comment

Single Inboard boat, diesel, downeast style might be your best bet.
          Boat: 1987 29' Cruisers Inc 297 Elegante. T/270 Crusaders. (SOLD)
          Boat #2: 1984 34' Silverton 34C. T/270 Crusaders. Westerbeke Gen.
          Updating Thread: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...vy-534493.html
          Race Car: 1989 Mustang LX 5.0. 12.5 on slicks, 12.9 on street tires.
          sigpic

Comment

An injected 5.7 Liter with V-P Duoprop or Bravo 3 is your best bet in a planing hull. My boat's at the small end of your size range, but it's fairly heaVY (6000 lbs. with normal load). On a typical, somewhat choppy water day I burn about 8-9 gph at cruise (3200 rpm) @ 24-25 mph.
            John and Linda
            Long Island, NY
            Escapade III
            1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
            Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 'Gen +'

Comment

If gph are a concern then I am not sure a 24-26 cuddy is the right boat for you

Comment

Originally posted by lunkerv16 View Post
                If gph are a concern then I am not sure a 24-26 cuddy is the right boat for you
                Good point, but the OP also needs to consider how much he'll actually run the motor. A typical weekend for me will cost me 15-20 gallons, plus food and drink. So we're talking maybe $100. for 2 people, for a weekend of 'entertainment'. It'd cost me about the same to stay home.
                John and Linda
                Long Island, NY
                Escapade III
                1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
                Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 'Gen +'

Comment

Good point, but the OP also needs to consider how much he'll actually run the motor. A typical weekend for me will cost me 15-20 gallons, plus food and drink. So we're talking maybe $100. for 2 people, for a weekend of 'entertainment'. It'd cost me about the same to stay home.
                  The problem is that the boat is going to be run in Croatia (Europe) where the price of a gallon is about $6.50.

You are asking a lot. 26 footers traveling 15Kts are planing hulls. 10-12 gal/hour implies no more than 200HP. There are not many boats that fit that size, speed and economy categories, likely none.
                  If I drop to a 20ft Cuddy with a 200hp 4-stroke Cuddy (i.e. GW Adventure 208) can I realistically get 5-6 gbp at plane?

Comment

On our Sig 240 cruising at 26 MPH we burn about 5.5 GPH.
                    Captain Joey
                    USCG OUVP 100 Ton with Towing Endorsement
                    2005 Chaparral Signature 240
                    Volvo 5.0GXI Duo-Prop

sigpic

Comment

"Cabin Cruiser" and "Cuddy Cabin" mean two very different things, IMO.

A cuddy will have a small berth, with possibly a porta poti, very little if any standing/headroom, and will more or less be a day boat, with a place to get out of the sun.

A cabin cruiser will have nearly half the hull length made up of cabin. Let room up top, more down below than a cuddy. There will be standing room, a closed head, some kind of galley and usually a semi fair sized berth or two.

I was going to suggest looking into a single motored 28' Luhrs, but if your looking at Cuddy Cabin boats, this is FAR different in style.
                      Boat: 1987 29' Cruisers Inc 297 Elegante. T/270 Crusaders. (SOLD)
                      Boat #2: 1984 34' Silverton 34C. T/270 Crusaders. Westerbeke Gen.
                      Updating Thread: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...vy-534493.html
                      Race Car: 1989 Mustang LX 5.0. 12.5 on slicks, 12.9 on street tires.
                      sigpic

Comment

There real problem is how much do you want to push around?

As stated above displacement hulls are the most economical
                        (saw a beautiful C-Dory sunday)

But once you get into planing hulls it's really a matter of how much of a condo are you trying to push around?

Do you really need to sleep 6?

Things like that.

One thing I'd like to point out though is that if you look at performance hulls that most people think are only for spending money and wasting gas, a lot of manufacturers offer boat with cabins that are real nice and the reason they go fast is cause they are more efficient designs so with not as much HP you can get better economy.
                        sigpic1982 Baja 16ss

Comment

If you aren't wanting to get anywhere very fast and can afford it. Single screw Diesel about 32-36 ft. You are going to be a little hard pressed to find any Diesels in the 24-28 range. If you do they are usually the planing hull 120 - 200 hp diesels and will be pricey.

You either want a sailboat, which almost always come with a small perkins or yanmar diesel that will cruise at ~6 kts all day burning prolly only 1 gallon per hour, provided you are in the 30ft range.

I bought a 28 ft Carver Voyager , a legitimate "cruiser" Its got 2 gas 305's and cruising at 18 kts on plane will drink the gas, however the same boat running about 1200 rpm at 6.5 kts doesn't do to bad. Probably ~4-5 gallons per hour.

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Escape II View Post
                            On our Sig 240 cruising at 26 MPH we burn about 5.5 GPH.
                            If I could get to 26 MPH, I would burn about 34 GPH!

Fuel efficient cruiser? Go sailboat with a single small diesel or go 20-24'
                            2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

You might take a look at Doral. They make a real nice 25' cuddy with extendable swim platform that takes it out to about 28' loa. I believe they also had a single diesel option. Pretty expensive, but might be worth a look.
                              DSiekman
                              2000 Cobalt 293 Twin Volvo 5.0 Gi DP
                              2001 F250 7.3 Powerstroke

Comment

Working...
                              X