How to Protect bottom of a Paddle Boat on a wooden dock?

jt9110

Recruit
Hi Friends,

we live on a lake (in Venice FL) with a wooden dock. I just bought a paddle boat to use with my family on this lake. I'd appreciate some suggestions to protect the bottom of the boat when I pull it out of the water up onto the dock for storage. I intend to pull it up onto the dock each time I use it and then protect it with a cover. I am worried that the bottom will get scraped by dragging it up and along the wood (and also when lowering it into the water). I wanted to some how secure rubber or plastic to the deck so the boat will slide up and down with out scratching. The distance between the water and the level of the deck is about a foot. The boat weighs about 100lbs. Any suggestions on what to use and where to get it would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,

Jim

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to Protect bottom of a Paddle Boat on a wooden dock?

The easiest solution is a double layer strip of carpet or old fire hose wrapped over that edge of the dock. Attach with adhesive and/or staples and/or ss fasteners. For a cleaner look than old carpet, commercial dock edging is available too. It's usually white and made of tough vinyl.

Go to the top of this page, click "boat parts and accessories". Search for dock edging. The sponsor of these forums sells it, as do others. Good luck.

Larry

Re: How to Protect bottom of a Paddle Boat on a wooden dock?

First, the plastic those paddle boats are made of is pretty darned tough. But if you really wanted to put something under it I believe I'd get a piece of outdoor carpet, you could either glue it down with exterior carpet glue or just let it lay over that section of your dock.