• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

    So what do trim tabs exactly do and how does it do it? I have a small BR that is 18ft that I am thinking about putting this on as I will be taking my boat out in the bay in NJ and I have seen ppl swear up an down that these help them plane faster and provider smoother ride in chop. My brother-in-law who has an 28ft boat with electronic trim tabs says he can't see how they would help me plane faster. So to all the expert out there, enlighten me please.
    Current:
    2006 Sea Ray 240 Sundancer, Mercruiser 5.0l MPI I/O Bravo III.

    Previous:
    2010 Bayliner 185 Bowrider, 18', Mercruiser 3.0l I/O Alpha One w/ Power Steering.
    "Just Dillydally"


  • #2
    Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

    Originally posted by spikeitaudi View Post
    So what do trim tabs exactly do and how does it do it? I have a small BR that is 18ft that I am thinking about putting this on as I will be taking my boat out in the bay in NJ and I have seen ppl swear up an down that these help them plane faster and provider smoother ride in chop. My brother-in-law who has an 28ft boat with electronic trim tabs says he can't see how they would help me plane faster. So to all the expert out there, enlighten me please.
    Check out their website, they have lots of info there: www.nauticusinc.com

    Also, search the forums, these have been discussed extensively.
    sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

      Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
      Check out their website, they have lots of info there: www.nauticusinc.com

      Also, search the forums, these have been discussed extensively.
      Mark,

      The video is more about installation and show the before and after, but doens't really go in to how the tab work by creating lift. I have done searches on here and again some ppl swear by them some don't. So for smaller bowriders like mine do they make a huge difference in ruff chop. That is more my concern.
      Current:
      2006 Sea Ray 240 Sundancer, Mercruiser 5.0l MPI I/O Bravo III.

      Previous:
      2010 Bayliner 185 Bowrider, 18', Mercruiser 3.0l I/O Alpha One w/ Power Steering.
      "Just Dillydally"

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

        They will be the best add on you can put on your boat. They really do everything advertised. I feel sure mine have paid for themselves in gasoline savings, especially at todays prices.

        They lift the stern when you start moving so you do not have to climb out of the hole to get on plane, they make the boat at like it is longer than it is, they allow you to trim up or down to make the rough water ride better, they get you on plane quicker and get more boat out of the water, less drag, and that saves fuel, the tabs down at idle speed, no wake, removes the low speed wander that is normal for this style boat with single prop drive, the lift they create also helps keep you on plane at slower speeds than before, like the slow speeds needed for tubing, without having to constantly play with the throttle to maintain speed. There is more I just can't think of it right now.

        Bottom line, they are great.
        http://www.facebook.com/iloveboating


        http://myboat.wikispaces.com/
        2004 Sea Ray 185 Sport, 4.3L,190, Alpha
        1994 GMC 4X4 1500, 5.7L

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

          Originally posted by nlain View Post
          They will be the best add on you can put on your boat. They really do everything advertised. I feel sure mine have paid for themselves in gasoline savings, especially at todays prices.

          They lift the stern when you start moving so you do not have to climb out of the hole to get on plane, they make the boat at like it is longer than it is, they allow you to trim up or down to make the rough water ride better, they get you on plane quicker and get more boat out of the water, less drag, and that saves fuel, the tabs down at idle speed, no wake, removes the low speed wander that is normal for this style boat with single prop drive, the lift they create also helps keep you on plane at slower speeds than before, like the slow speeds needed for tubing, without having to constantly play with the throttle to maintain speed. There is more I just can't think of it right now.

          Bottom line, they are great.
          What he said and more.
          I used NOT be able to run at anything above 25mph in rough chops on the lake.
          Now I can do about 30mph comfortably in the same condition if not faster.
          2010 Tahoe Q4 w/ Mercruiser 3.0L

          Smart Tabs SX-60
          Blue Sea Add a Battery w/ ACR
          Guest 2611A 2 Bank Charger

          Comment



          • #6
            Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

            Originally posted by nlain View Post
            They will be the best add on you can put on your boat. They really do everything advertised. I feel sure mine have paid for themselves in gasoline savings, especially at todays prices.

            They lift the stern when you start moving so you do not have to climb out of the hole to get on plane, they make the boat at like it is longer than it is, they allow you to trim up or down to make the rough water ride better, they get you on plane quicker and get more boat out of the water, less drag, and that saves fuel, the tabs down at idle speed, no wake, removes the low speed wander that is normal for this style boat with single prop drive, the lift they create also helps keep you on plane at slower speeds than before, like the slow speeds needed for tubing, without having to constantly play with the throttle to maintain speed. There is more I just can't think of it right now.

            Bottom line, they are great.
            Did you get the 40-80 or the 60-150 smart tab?
            Current:
            2006 Sea Ray 240 Sundancer, Mercruiser 5.0l MPI I/O Bravo III.

            Previous:
            2010 Bayliner 185 Bowrider, 18', Mercruiser 3.0l I/O Alpha One w/ Power Steering.
            "Just Dillydally"

            Comment



            • #7
              Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

              Also I have been told by 2 ppl now that after a year or 2 of use the struts and rubber lining just go bad. Both after 2 years have tabs now that just flap around. Any of you out there that have them longer then 2 years. Both did say they see a dramatic improvement but both were ticked that the product failed before 2 years.
              Current:
              2006 Sea Ray 240 Sundancer, Mercruiser 5.0l MPI I/O Bravo III.

              Previous:
              2010 Bayliner 185 Bowrider, 18', Mercruiser 3.0l I/O Alpha One w/ Power Steering.
              "Just Dillydally"

              Comment



              • #8
                Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

                I have hydrolic ones on mine, I'm pretty sure the system is 10+ years old. Not sure because they came with the boat when I bought it.
                My Thompson resto

                Comment



                • #9
                  Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

                  The thinking is like evaluating a bimini: great to have for some uses, solves some but not all of the problems, comes with a cost. it is not a "must have" or "total waste" situation.

                  I have Lenco electrics on my 21' deep V. First boat I've had with them. I liked them at first, but when one tab was out of service for several months, I got along fine without them. Now I have them operating again and like them.

                  First, disregard advertisers saying their product is great, or necessary.

                  Second, consider whether your engine trim doesn't accomplish some of the same effect. Both systems result in a varying bow angle. What the tabs give you is more lift from the stern--by creating drag. Top speeds on a plane are with the tabs up, reducing drag.

                  Third, consider the size of the boat. I can't see how tabs would do anything on my 17' that I can't do with engine trim. But on the 21', the tabs do more. I doubt that on an 18' they will do a whole lot of good.

                  Fourth, do a cost/benefits analysis. Is a $1,000 worth it for a little better performance? Tabs won't turn chop into glass; they may calm it down a little bit, but chop is chop. So before investing the $1,000 ride in a similar boat with them, then yours, and compare. yes you can ask a stranger for a ride; guys love showing off their stuff. Likewise, is a hole shot that important? For me it's not so I wouldn't pay $1000 for a better one. The people I occassionally drag around on a tube don't know any different. A flats fisherman, however, or a proficient skiier, might want to pay for them.

                  Finally they can get in the way trailering and mooring; in my case, I have to deal with marine growth, and they will break down at some point.

                  But hey, it's only money. It's not like they're going to stop printing it.
                  A man of constant boat tinkering.

                  Comment



                  • #10
                    Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

                    Originally posted by Home Cookin' View Post
                    Third, consider the size of the boat. I can't see how tabs would do anything on my 17' that I can't do with engine trim. But on the 21', the tabs do more. I doubt that on an 18' they will do a whole lot of good.
                    I put them on my 18' and found a dramatic improvement in time-to-plane, better stability & better tracking at slow speeds. I think they were an awesome investment.

                    Originally posted by Home Cookin' View Post
                    Fourth, do a cost/benefits analysis. Is a $1,000 worth it for a little better performance? Tabs won't turn chop into glass; they may calm it down a little bit, but chop is chop. So before investing the $1,000 ride in a similar boat with them, then yours, and compare. yes you can ask a stranger for a ride; guys love showing off their stuff. Likewise, is a hole shot that important? For me it's not so I wouldn't pay $1000 for a better one. The people I occassionally drag around on a tube don't know any different. A flats fisherman, however, or a proficient skiier, might want to pay for them.
                    You're talking about something completely different than Smart Tabs which the OP was asking about (based on the title of this thread). You can get the Nauticus SmartTabs for ~$100 right here on iBoats. They are fully automatic which means no expensive adjustment mechanicals/hydraulics/etc. They just tend to work. Sure, they aren't as nice or featureful as adjustable hydraulic tabs, but for a small boat like his, I think they are ideal.

                    Originally posted by Home Cookin' View Post
                    Finally they can get in the way trailering and mooring; in my case, I have to deal with marine growth, and they will break down at some point.
                    Again, you're comparing something completely different. SmartTabs are made from either stainless or plastic. The plastic ones are what I have and they have worked flawlessly for over a year now. Since they are plastic, you don't have to worry about corrosion, etc. like you do with metal products. They have been supported consistently here in the forums by the owner of Nauticus & I've heard nothing but rave reviews from people who have dealt with him on the phone directly. More often than not, parts that break or don't perform as expected are replaced/fixed without charge (from what I read - again, mine have been flawless).

                    For $100, I think it's definitely worth the money for a boat that size.
                    Benjamin Krein
                    Floats: 2008 Four Winns H200
                    Restoration: 1980 19' Century 190 Restoration
                    Tows: 2005 Nissan Titan SE

                    Comment



                    • #11
                      Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

                      Originally posted by spikeitaudi View Post
                      Also I have been told by 2 ppl now that after a year or 2 of use the struts and rubber lining just go bad. Both after 2 years have tabs now that just flap around. Any of you out there that have them longer then 2 years. Both did say they see a dramatic improvement but both were ticked that the product failed before 2 years.
                      Yes, that is true, if you believe the reports (and I don't doubt them). I do expect to get longer life out of them, as these struts generally last quite a few years in other applications, such as hatch lifts, car hoods, and the like.

                      But they are inexpensive to replace, so every few years you get fresh ones. I plan to remove the struts and store them indoors for the winter. Will stand them on end so the oil inside is covering the piston. Hopefully that will give longer use.

                      This thread might help answer some questions you have.....
                      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=401979


                      BTW, if you have the SX line of tabs, the top pin is hard to remove, so its easier to undo the bottom bolt, then unscrew the strut from its end link to remove it for storage.
                      sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

                      Comment



                      • #12
                        Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

                        Originally posted by Home Cookin' View Post
                        .....

                        Finally they can get in the way trailering and mooring; in my case, I have to deal with marine growth, and they will break down at some point.....

                        .
                        Well, that I have to disagree with. I trailer and had them on almost all season this year and not once did they get in the way of launching or retrieving. Also no problem anchoring, even in as little as 3' of water bouncing on the waves.

                        Someone made the comment that they mess up backing up, but I didn't even notice they were there when backing up and jockeying around the dock. Of course all boats behave different, but I doubt they will produce a problem for you backing up.

                        BTW, one thing I really like about the tabs is that they are EASY to adjust. The plastic nut & bolt are easy to unscrew and reposition the strut depending on the load for that particular trip. Having the boat on a trailer makes it easy. When the transom tie downs are removed, the tabs are adjusted to match that days load. IE Just 4 of us, or 6 and coolers, etc. I know before I launch what the load is and just adjust accordingly. Not as nice as pressing a button for power tabs, but it works for me and only adds a minute during launch prep. I have even changed the adjustments in the water because I wanted more resistance as the wind came up and water got choppy. So you are not stuck with one setting, but not quite as nice as a button.
                        sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

                        Comment



                        • #13
                          Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

                          Originally posted by spikeitaudi View Post
                          after a year or 2 of use the struts and rubber lining just go bad. .
                          $31.99 X 2 for replacement parts.....
                          2006 Tahoe 195 IO
                          MerCruiser® 4.3L 190HP V-6

                          Comment



                          • #14
                            Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

                            Originally posted by Ronder View Post
                            $31.99 X 2 for replacement parts.....
                            I'd call Nauticus before buying replacements. Everything I've heard about them has been that they are more than accommodating when you have problems. There have been numerous threads/posts on here about people talking with the owner on the phone (John, I think) and getting replacement parts shipped right out at no cost just to fix the problem (even issues I would say were due to normal wear & tear or user abuse).

                            Even if not, $64 every 2-3 years is hardly expensive in the boating world. How much is that impeller you replace around that time religiously?
                            Benjamin Krein
                            Floats: 2008 Four Winns H200
                            Restoration: 1980 19' Century 190 Restoration
                            Tows: 2005 Nissan Titan SE

                            Comment



                            • #15
                              Sign up today
                              Re: NAUTICUS Trim tabs for my boat.

                              I have had mine for since Aug of 06, I did have one actuator fail before it was 2 years old, called and they replaced it free, the other one is still on the boat and working fine, the replacement is also working fine. As long as you keep a check on them and do not let the boots go bad and leak saltwater in they should last for years, I feel sure mine will, I check them on a regular basis.

                              I have the stainless steel version, 1290-60, I had purchased the 80 lb but they were too strong, called and they swapped the 60's even, I just had to return the 80's. If your boat is and I/O you need the 60lb, if it is OB you need the 80 lb actuators.
                              http://www.facebook.com/iloveboating


                              http://myboat.wikispaces.com/
                              2004 Sea Ray 185 Sport, 4.3L,190, Alpha
                              1994 GMC 4X4 1500, 5.7L

                              Comment


                              Working...
                              X