how would i go about registering abandoned boat?in GA

mr.andy

Cadet
I have acquired a boat in Georgia in Georgia i have looked everywhere and there are no clear steps on registering a boat that has been abandonded there is steps for how to remove the abandoned boat and junk and call a pick up to remove it or someone to store it but i dont want to remove it i want to restore it and make it mine i called the cops and had them look at the boat they checked to see if it was stolen and it was not... but supposedly i had to have some form of some type for him to sign off that it wasnt stolen but i havnt read of any form and he told me nothing of what type of form or anything it was so idk if someone could please help i just want to get it registered so i can at least start working on it so please someone that knows how to do this please please please post and help me out thanks
andy

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: how would i go about registering abandoned boat?in GA

Boat registration is managed by the GADNR (Department of Natural Resources) in GA. If there is either a hull identification number or a hull registration number, DNR will have a record of it. Call them and give them the data. They will give you the name and address of the last owner of record. If you can contact them, you can get a bill of sale from them. If you can show a reasonable attempt to contact the previous owner (a certified letter to the last known address showing that it was returned, for example, DNR will give you suggestions), there is a form to transfer the boat's registration to you. Contacting GADNR is your first step.

-Eric

PigPen4x4

Seaman Apprentice

Eavega nailed it.
Ga DNR was very helpful to me when I needed to chase down a previous owner from 12 years ago.

One suggestion, your post is hard to read. It's helpful to not type as if you are texting. :D

PP

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

GADNR is the right answer, BUT good luck. I just bought a previously owned boat a few months ago and it took me lots of phone calls, multiple faxes and several months to get it registered. I talked to four people on the phone and got FOUR different answers on what they needed and what I needed to do and the previously owner didn't want to give me the old registration card (I can't blame him), they said I COULD NOT register it without it. What if he had lost it? I had a NOTARIZED bill of sale and every other piece of paperwork you can imagine. Several of the people I talked to at the DNR were obviously very young(3 of the 4) are they subcontracting this out to a high school?

mr.andy

Cadet

i have contacted Ga dnr about it and gave them my info and the boat info but they have not told me the address of the old owner therefore i can not send a certified letter so anyone else have any suggestions?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I know in Illinois you have to apply to the DNR for a lost title. Form is obtained on-line, Fill it out, mail it in along with a fee. They then send info as to the last known owner and address. Certifide Letter to Last known address. If it is returned unopened as undeliverable they will issue a new title.

At least that's how I've found it works there.

mr.andy

Cadet

If you do a Google search there are several companies that can get you a title. Usually in the $300 range.

i dont want to spend 300 dollars on a boat i got for 50 bucks haha if i had 300 dollars i wouldve bought a boat with a title

Chuck1a

Seaman

If you do a Google search there are several companies that can get you a title. Usually in the $300 range.

Just a heads up, don't pay somebody to get a title for a boat in GA. GA does not title boats.

eavega

Lieutenant

i have contacted Ga dnr about it and gave them my info and the boat info but they have not told me the address of the old owner therefore i can not send a certified letter so anyone else have any suggestions?

Try calling again. Chances are you will be talking to a different person, and they may give you the address, or at least a contact telephone number. Be sure to explain to them that you have possession of the boat and that you are trying to get re-registered as an abandoned vessel. As a previous poster suggested, a Google search may turn up something useful if all they will give you is the owner's name. In any case, even if you can make a best guess as to the area where the previous owner lived, you can take out an ad in a local paper advertising the vessel in your possession and asking anyone who has a claim on the vessel to come forward. This should be enough proof to DNR that you have made a reasonable attempt to contact the previous owner. After that, its just paperwork. All I can tell you is that its totally do-able. My Yarcraft belonged to a gentleman that lives somewhere in North Georgia. He sold it to some guy to whom he gave the bill of sale and registration card. By the time it had gotten to me from the salvage yard, there was no paper trail connecting the boat to the party that sold it to me. A call to DNR gave me the previous owner's name and contact info. A call to him and an explanation of the situation, along with my doing all the leg work in terms of preparing the proper documentation and getting it to him got me a bill of sale and an affidavit of lost registration card within a week. I had the boat registered by the end of that month.

-E

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I would have to say the GADNR wasn't a big help, I was never sure that I was going to actually get the registration, until it finally showed up in the mail, but I would call them again, chances are, you will get a different person and a different set of answers. If the manufacturer of the boat is still in business, I would contact them with the serial number, perhaps they have info from the previously owner.

eavega

Lieutenant

If you go to http://www.georgiawildlife.com/boating/registration , you can actually download the database of all registered boats in the state, supposedly updated as of August 1, 2010. These are current registrations, but maybe you can get lucky searching by registration or HIN.

Rgds

Eric

mr.andy

Cadet

ive contacted dnr once again but got nothing i decided to put in add in the paper for an abandoned vessel and then send them a letter saying i have done all i could do and no one has contacted me about it so just give me the registration.

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Georgia is a non-title state.