Attwood fuel water separator...is it a water separator filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought an Attwood screw on fuel water separator for my 4.3 liter. Does the separator also have a filter?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Attwood fuel water separator...is it a water separator filter?

Yes, They filter to a given micron granularity. Actually they are really just paper filters, like an oil filter. They are designed to suck fuel from the top of the filter element, allowing the water to sink to the bottom of the filter element. Simple gravity is what does the water seperating

robert graham

Admiral

If you bought it at Walmart and it looks like an oil filter, then yes it is a filter and seperator. It's really just about like an oil filter and does a great job of filtering your gas before it enters your motor. I've had mine for a few years and I just unscrew it now and then , dump the water/crud/whatever into a clear container, re-install it, pump it full with the primer bulb, and good to go! Probably the best preventive maintenance item you can get. I'm in Greenville,S.C., so guess we're neighbors!

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in Easley SC right across the Saluda from you.

GatorMike

Ensign

I've had mine for a few years and I just unscrew it now and then , dump the water/crud/whatever into a clear container, re-install it, pump it full with the primer bulb, and good to go! Probably the best preventive maintenance item you can get. I'm in Greenville,S.C., so guess we're neighbors!

Keep in mind that some day that filter will probably need changing. Dumping the water and crud out doesn't necessarily clean the filter. When it gets dirty enough it will restrict fuel flow.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I've had mine for a few years and I just unscrew it now and then , dump the water/crud/whatever into a clear container, re-install it, pump it full with the primer bulb, and good to go!!
The filter should be replaced annually.

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Keep in mind that some day that filter will probably need changing."

Good point! Are the filters available and/or interchangeable with others??

GatorMike

Ensign

"Keep in mind that some day that filter will probably need changing."

Good point! Are the filters available and/or interchangeable with others??

I've got a slightly different filter than the one mentioned here but most filters are available. Some of them can get quite expensive but like I said earlier eventually they will restrict fuel flow if not replaced.

i just purchased one of these for my 2004 mercruiser 3.0 and my engine would stall when advancing the throttle afterwards. Got me wondering what the GPH flow rate was on this and never could find it and wondering if that was the problem - anyone know?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its been nearly 6yrs, fishfearme, best not to reopen inactive topics, 90days or more w no new posts.

Besides YOU already have a topic about this and seem to be getting good advice there.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.