1999 pursuit 2470

poni302

Seaman Apprentice
Im interested in a 1999 pursuit 2470 CC with a merc 225 saltwater engine with 550 hrs, I'm brand new to boating ,so I know very little from experience just what i read . Does anyony have any opinions on this boat

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: 1999 pursuit 2470

I don't know what model you're talking about (center console, dual console, walk-around cuddy), but Pursuit is a good make. Should be a very capable boat for its size.

That said, the boat and motor are 11 years old. Given that you're probably paying over $10K for it, you need to have it professionally inspected. A certified marine surveyor knows the ins and outs of a hull, how to check for water infiltration, etc. Any good marine mechanic can go over the engine for you. Total cost of the inspections will likely run $500. or less, and it's money well spent.

My .02

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's nothing at all wrong with a Persuit boat, but as usual all the standard precautions apply.

Is the Merc a 4 stroke, an Optimax or a good ol' 2 stoke?

If it's an old school 2 stroke, be fully aware of what you're getting into. My last outboard boat was a Crestliner 1950 SST with a 150 Johnson Ocean Pro. Needless to say, fuel consumption WAS an issue. About 1.5 MPG was a safe average figure for planning and I was extactic if I got 2 MPG through a whole tank. Now the Persuit could do better than that, but I'd be surprised if it was much better on a 2 stroke.

Also, as a first boat a 24 footer may or may not be suitable. How much boat handling experience have you had? How confident are you that you can handle a boat of this size when it's you in charge?

Grouse

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Sorry to disagree, Grouse, but in almost any comparison with anything, boats get lousy gas mileage. Period.

If one is going to be concerned about getting 2 mpg from a 2-stroke vs. 3 mpg from a 4-stroke, then perhaps one shouldn't be boating.

As for the length of the boat, 24' isn't extreme imo. Yes, the OP will bounce off stuff a few times, which is a good rationale for buying a used boat. I'd suggest to the OP that he go out with an experienced friend/acquaintance the first couple of times.

My .02

poni302

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the info and advise . I have 0 experience operating a boat except for a 14 ft row w/a6hp motor and you might be right about the 24 ft being a bit too much but I dont really want to have to trade up in 2 yrs either and from what ive learned it might be better to buy a little bigger than what you think you want . and the engine is a 2 stroke and from what i can tell asthetically he kept up with the boat and I definately intend to have a boat survey done on anything I buy .

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Thanks for all the info and advise . I have 0 experience operating a boat except for a 14 ft row w/a6hp motor and you might be right about the 24 ft being a bit too much but I dont really want to have to trade up in 2 yrs either and from what ive learned it might be better to buy a little bigger than what you think you want . and the engine is a 2 stroke and from what i can tell asthetically he kept up with the boat and I definately intend to have a boat survey done on anything I buy .

Don't approach anything any faster than you want to hit it, 'cause you're going to do that. It's part of the learning curve.

Add some location information to your post, too. Last word of advice from me- take a safe boating class! US Power Squadron (usps.org) offers good ones, and the members are great to deal with. Coast Guard Auxiliary and local law enforcement offer them, too.

I can't stress the education aspect too strongly. There are a lot of clueless so-called boaters out there- please don't add to the knuckleheaded-ness :)

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I can't stress the education aspect too strongly. There are a lot of clueless so-called boaters out there- please don't add to the knuckleheaded-ness :)

+1 - Excellent point.