Non Skid Paint

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, during the restoration of my 14' Ultra factoy direct I completely forgot to put something topside that would provide some kind of slip resistance. I put a nice layer of hatteras off-white by Interlux but am now looking for some non skid for the deck and walking area around the center console since we have had a few nasty falls already lol. I am looking at this stuff
https://www.nonskidpaint.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=34
but don't know if it's a bad idea? It seems like a good price though! Thanks. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Non Skid Paint

Many people here have used Durabak and love the results.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you still have left over paint it's possible to make it nonskid by adding crushed walnut shell. Just mask off the areas you want to treat, paint, and while it's still wet, spread on the walnut shell, then paint over again to seal in the crushed shell. You may find it to be too abrasive for bare feet though and dirt tends to acumulate in the nonskid area.

Another option is 3M makes a non skid tape that can be applied in strips to hazardous spots.

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a Rustoleum silica based product when re-coating the floor of my old 14' Chrysler that mixes with the paint and rolls out REAL nice. (I used a KILZ paint) I was VERY happy with the results and it's not so abrasive that it tears up your feet. You really don't visually notice it, but you can feel it. It is also designed to be used topside too. I think a small can (about 1/2 pint) was 5 or 6 bucks at Lowes and I still have about 1/2 can left. One man's opinion...

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all so much for the replies! I am looking into all the recommended names as we speak :D

How about this? It's in my shopping cart right now.

I looked on i boats but had no luck finding anything when typing "Non skid paint" in the search box :confused: oh well, only thing about that is I don't want the clear yellowish look :cool:

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice

I used a Rustoleum silica based product when re-coating the floor of my old 14' Chrysler that mixes with the paint and rolls out REAL nice. (I used a KILZ paint) I was VERY happy with the results and it's not so abrasive that it tears up your feet. You really don't visually notice it, but you can feel it. It is also designed to be used topside too. I think a small can (about 1/2 pint) was 5 or 6 bucks at Lowes and I still have about 1/2 can left. One man's opinion...

Are you talking about Skit Tex? http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=304&sid=22242
That's super cheap, was it easy to use it that is the product you're talking about?