What is the proper knot to use to tie to a docking circle.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was docking a restuarant this past weekend on my lake and was tying off to the docking circle they have. Starboard side bow and stern. What is the proper knot to use on the docking circle?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: What is the proper knot to use to tie to a docking circle.

Sorry, I've never heard of a 'docking circle'.

Piling? Cleat? Bollard?

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are you talking about a metal ring? If so a "round turn and two half hitches" would work.

http://www.animatedknots.com/roundturn/index.php

You may also be able to thread your mooring line through the ring and bring it back to the cleat on your gunwale. (if you have cleats)

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry it's a metal ring that is clamped down to the dock.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you talking about a metal ring? If so a "round turn and two half hitches" would work.

http://www.animatedknots.com/roundturn/index.php

You may also be able to thread your mooring line through the ring and bring it back to the cleat on your gunwale. (if you have cleats)

Never thought of bringing it back to the cleat. That is a great idea. Sorry for the newbie question but I had to ask. As I felt kinda dumb sitting there trying to untie this knot I mad. It help good but was hard as heck to untie.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

A bowline would also work, and is ALWAYS easy to get loose again. its a great knot for all sorts of stuff, i use it more than any other.

sasto

Captain

I prefer Mike's method, especially when I have non-boating guest or single handed. Guess that means all the time. 2 reasons for me, and both are related to the same thing. All are onboard when casting off. Nobody touches a cleat till I say so. How many times have we seen beginners straddled with one foot on the dock and one on the boat. The drink wins almost everytime.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. That is a huge help.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I prefer Mike's method, especially when I have non-boating guest or single handed. Guess that means all the time. 2 reasons for me, and both are related to the same thing. All are onboard when casting off. Nobody touches a cleat till I say so. How many times have we seen beginners straddled with one foot on the dock and one on the boat. The drink wins almost everytime.

Yea that was what I was thinking also.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Try a clove hitch, then a half hitch to lock, for most tie offs.
clove hitches are adjustible.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

A bowline would also work, and is ALWAYS easy to get loose again. its a great knot for all sorts of stuff, i use it more than any other.

Yup- if there's one knot you should learn to tie, it's a bowline. Doesn't slip, doesn't jam. Definitely the most versatile of all.

Even if you use it in an application for which it wasn't strictly intended, nobody'll give you grief, 'cause, well, you know how to tie a bowline :)

Bondo

Staff member

Yup- if there's one knot you should learn to tie, it's a bowline.

Ayuh,... I use it all the time when I need a Loop in the end of a line,...

When faced with a Ring, instead of a Cleat,...
I use what I was told is an Electrician's Loop,...A loop in a loop...

Push through the ring a loop, then another loop through the loop you just made, then another loop through the loop you just made, etc, for as Long as you'd like...

For total security, put the tag end through your last loop,... It'll never give up...

Or, I leave the tag end laying, so that when time to fly, you just Pull the tag end,+ the loops all disappear,+ your Untied....

sasto

Captain

Ayuh,... I use it all the time when I need a Loop in the end of a line,...

When faced with a Ring, instead of a Cleat,...
I use what I was told is an Electrician's Loop,...A loop in a loop...

Push through the ring a loop, then another loop through the loop you just made, then another loop through the loop you just made, etc, for as Long as you'd like...

For total security, put the tag end through your last loop,... It'll never give up.....

Clever......

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

while we're on the subject--all seaman's knots are designed to release no matter how tight they've been pulled. A bad knot won't. Compare a granny with a square; an overhand with a figure eight.
They are also designed to lock onto themselves: as they are pulled from the working end, they tighten back against the loose end. For that reason, you seldom need extra wraps. Drives me crazy when someone wraps 10' of line around and around a cleat; the top two passes is all you ever need.
Most knots are one of two varieties: the square (including the sheet bend, reef knot and bowline) and clove hitch (cleat, two half hitches). Even the wierd ones, like a sheepshank, is a clove hitch.