what knot??

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
To give one an idea of how fast a knot is, here is an example to help give one perspective: a vessel going at speeds of 1 knot along a meridian line travels one minute of geographic latitude in one hour. Historically, Mariners first used the term knot to measure the amount of how many knots of line paid out in a given time using a chip log.

as many, i realized measuring a knot was a distance (rope fed out with a knots) and a measured time.

what i found interesting was that one knot is based on a geographic measurement and not a random number.-----" a vessel going at speeds of 1 knot along a meridian line travels one minute of geographic latitude in one hour."

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: what knot??

One 'knot' is equal to a speed of one nautical mile (nm) per hour.

As you noted, a nautical mile = 1 minute of latitude = 6080 feet. (as opposed to the 5280 feet in a 'statute mile')

A speed of 25 'knots' is technically represented (as when labelling a chart for navigation purposes) as '25nmh'

It is interesting (at least for the nerds among us :) )...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... A Knot is about 1.15mph ain't it,..??

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is a knot.....

It's a configuration of twisting and looping a rope or line.....
It's the condition of my underwear when my kids do something to irritate me...
It's the feeling in my throat when my wife finds out that I bought something else for the boat....
It's the spot on my head when said wife beans me with the frying pan for buying said item for the boat..:D

ozarkt165

Seaman

Thats hilarious!!!! My wife complains about the time spent working on the boat... Enjoys being on the water more then me.... Told her if she whines anymore she can stay home!!!! LOL

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....as Hagard the Horrible once asked the boatman: "Can you repair a frayed knot?"...."Afraid Not".