Swivel tow rope ring

jtohara

Recruit
I have a 1983 Cobalt, which has the old school type of tow ring on the back for skiing, tubing, etc. The ring is attached to a large lag bolt that connects a steel mounting frame in the back of engine compartment. The nut that keeps the bolt tight to the mounting plate has come loose. This causes a "thunk" sound when pulling a skier/tuber because the bolt has about an inch of play in it. I can get to the nut, but is NOT easy. Does anyone have a similar set up and experience tightening the nut on the tow ring bolt? I can loosen the nut, but I cannot seem to get it beyond a certain point on the threads when tightening it, which leaves the play. I'd like to be able to tighten the nut so that it contacts the mounting plate. Any help, or alternative ideas would be appreciated.

Philster

Captain
Re: Swivel tow rope ring

Take it all the way off, put a stack of washers in front, then screw it back on with blue Threadlock.

I say blue Threadlock, as that is removable. You might get stuck at an unhappy point and need to come back later to remove and add more washers, or might need to stop until you can coma back to it, so there is no need for permanent red threadlock.

No need to fight those final threads and risk stripping them, thus the recommendation to stack washers up to fill the void. Since you are able to get good reach/leverage, I make the threadlock suggestion.

jtohara

Recruit
Re: Swivel tow rope ring

Solid ideas, thank you very much. There is a cotter pin at the bottom of the bolt, which I guess ensures the nut doesn't come all the way off. It looks pretty well rusted. I'll have to see if I can pull it out, then remove the nut, and go from there. Thanks again!