Nautical Maps/Charts - Canada

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might have LARGE SCALE nautical charts of any bodies of water listed below. I'm thinking of launching next weekend and I want to be sure to be extra safe. You know how it is when your out there, one minute your cruising without a worry and the next your heart drops because you can see rocks all around. I really don't want to lose my motor!

Any large-scale map you have would be very useful, especially of the following in priority:
* Wasaga/Nottawasaga Bay or full large-scale chart of Georgian Bay
* Rice Lake
* Lake Erie
* Lake Scugog
* Lake Ontario
* Lake Huron
* Lake Muskoka
* Kawartha Lakes

In the United States, the NOAA distributes all these maps for free while in Canada they try to sell copies of these maps for an arm and a leg - simply disguising and rude if you ask me (and many). Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Thanks.

E.

retire2disney

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Nautical Maps/Charts - Canada

i have printed some of the PDF charts from NOAA website here.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/BookletChart.html
it is listed as experimental and for private use only but they seemed to match up well with the ones I have purchased. I saved them to a USB flash drive and took them to Staples / Office max and had them printed on 11 x 17 paper.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Retire2Disney,

Thanks for the quick reply. The NOAA maps are great except for just one thing, using the NOAA charts is usually not good enough, since for some charts the scale is so large that it can be useless at times failing to display dangers. The better and safer way to go is to have larger scale maps which do in fact exist, they are just not as easy to obtain. I would feel much safer and confident out on the water with these.

BTW, smart move printing those maps! I will probably end up doing the same.

i have printed some of the PDF charts from NOAA website here.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/BookletChart.html
it is listed as experimental and for private use only but they seemed to match up well with the ones I have purchased. I saved them to a USB flash drive and took them to Staples / Office max and had them printed on 11 x 17 paper.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Eyal

What you are asking for is violating copyright laws regardless of whether or not you feel the prices are "disgusting".

You don't say what size of boat you are using, but may I suggest you investigate purchasing a Chartplotting GPS unit with electronic charts. These charts can be preinstalled or purchased seperately on chips. They can be zoomed in to the desired size.

Hope this helps.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike,

I appreciate your opinion but please refrain from posting ridiculous remarks about copyright laws or the way I should conduct myself. I, and many others do not care to spend our money on a soft copy of a map the same way most of us did not buy our computer operating system. I am not in the business of making money from nautical maps but rather trying to be safe; personal use. Sorry if it sounds rude I'm not trying to be. But enough about that lets close that door. I am currently operating a 16 foot runabout but might be purchasing a 30 footer soon. A GPS is also in the works but might need the maps regardless since the scale is not big enough.

Eyal

What you are asking for is violating copyright laws regardless of whether or not you feel the prices are "disgusting".

You don't say what size of boat you are using, but may I suggest you investigate purchasing a Chartplotting GPS unit with electronic charts. These charts can be preinstalled or purchased seperately on chips. They can be zoomed in to the desired size.

Hope this helps.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mike,

I appreciate your opinion but please refrain from posting ridiculous remarks about copyright laws or the way I should conduct myself. I, and many others do not care to spend our money on a soft copy of a map the same way most of us did not buy our computer operating system. I am not in the business of making money from nautical maps but rather trying to be safe; personal use. Sorry if it sounds rude I'm not trying to be. But enough about that lets close that door. I am currently operating a 16 foot runabout but might be purchasing a 30 footer soon. A GPS is also in the works but might need the maps regardless since the scale is not big enough.

Unless I misunderstood your original post, you are asking us, other users of this forum, to provide you with illegal free copies of copyrighted charts.

I suggest you check the forum rules, particularily this one;

11. Do not post copyrighted material or request that anyone else violate copyright law.

Sorry you think my remarks are ridiculous

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mike,

I appreciate your opinion but please refrain from posting ridiculous remarks about copyright laws or the way I should conduct myself.

Why is it ridiculous to ask you to follow rules of the forum or be a law abiding citizen?

I, and many others do not care to spend our money on a soft copy of a map the same way most of us did not buy our computer operating system.

So you condone theft as long as it doesn't affect you personally. Did you actually pay for your boat?

I am not in the business of making money from nautical maps but rather trying to be safe; personal use.

They buy yourself a set of quality charts so you don't end up hurting yourself, your boat, or anybody else.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your opinions, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. You should stress and post your comments and opinions on torrent-like sites as well, perhaps you can raise a good debate there :) If you would like to talk about this, please start a new topic. I hope there are no hard feelings...

I'd like to get back to my original post:

Anyways, I have a Nautical Map of Lake Simcoe somewhere if anyone is interested, its not "copyright". If anyone has other large scale maps they would like to share so we can be safe out on the water, please advise.

Huggybear

Recruit

Mike,

Making copies of copy written material or using pirated copies of an operating system are both theft. Because you do not care to spend the money doesn't make it right. If that excuse worked the prisons would be empty. I usually don't help ignorant people but since this is my first post here I'll make an exception.... Check out http://www.anglersatlas.com/ You have to register to get access, but it is free.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey HuggyBear,

Thanks for that link - awesome site! Unfortunately it doesn't contain the information that I'm looking for, but thanks for posting I'm sure it will help many out there. I'm sure someone out there has some high quality large scale charts of Georgian Bay and the others in the original post...

Making copies of copy written material or using pirated copies of an operating system are both theft. Because you do not care to spend the money doesn't make it right. If that excuse worked the prisons would be empty. I usually don't help ignorant people but since this is my first post here I'll make an exception.... Check out http://www.anglersatlas.com/ You have to register to get access, but it is free.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a set of charts for Southern Georgian Bay. I also recently acquired a full colour laminated set of GPS charts for Georgian Bay that include the Trent to Orillia. Best 50 bucks I've spent!