• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my boat go into the ocean???? *PICS*

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my boat go into the ocean???? *PICS*

I have a 2006 bayliner, 3.0l 135 hp mercruiser inboard motor. It's a wakeboarding boat. But my friend wants to go deep sea fishing... Was wondering if this would be a good idea and will salt ruin the engine as well. Will the boat sink? Have you done it before? Thanks in advance.

Re: Can my boat go into the ocean???? *PICS*

The boat will float just fine in salt water. Motors exactly like yours run in salt water every day and never see fresh water.
    I can't see from the picture if yours is an open bow. I assume it is. That means it will take in water in rough conditions. Not good. The boat is probably not set up for fishing at all since it is used for wakeboarding. There is safety gear that is needed for offshore fishing that you may not have. Based on the questions that you asked, you have no offshore experience at all, and that can mean trouble.
    Let your buddy pay for a charter if he wants to go that badly....
    Please no PMs. My mailbox is full anyway......

Comment

A protected bay will be ok, but, IMO, I would never take that style boat out in the open ocean.

Comment

People do strange things with their boats, and always seem to down play Mother Nature and her ability to ruin a perfect day.

I once saw 3 people going out Sebastian Inlet in a 16' canoe. One of our most dangerous inlets here in Florida.

So the short answer is, yes, you can take the boat out into the ocean. The REAL question is, SHOULD YOU?

That answer is NO! On a perfect day, with no wind or wave action you could get away with it. But is your life, and his, worth the short term fun you may have?

Things change quickly on the ocean, within minutes it can go from perfect to deadly and there are no second chances out there.

Leave your boat where you use it, that was what you chose it for. and find someone near you (on this forum?) that would like to trade a fishing trip for a wake boarding experience.

I am sure you will have no problem finding someone to go with.
        sigpic
        Member and Boat Safety Instructor with the Lakeland Sail and Power Squadron;
        www.lakelandsailandpower.info

Comment

Your boat is too small for deep sea fishing. There is NO WAY I'd take it out on the open ocean myself.

I own a 20 ft bayliner and live on long island sounds (kind of half ocean half sound) and there are somedays that even 20 feet isn't enough to be safe.

Comment

Yes, you can take your boat out in the ocean. You can put a boat in any body of water as long as you don't overwhelm the capicity of it's design. If that wasn't so, how would little wooden lifeboats have stayed afloat for months on end out in the middle of the ocean?

It all depends on weather/water conditions. I have been 13 miles out in a 17' boat, but prior to going we checked the marine forecast very carefully. Most boats, if equipped properly, will handle more than you think without issue.

The questions you need to ask youself are:

1) Is the weather forecast conducive to offshore fishing in an 18' boat? Florida has a tendency to build afternoon thunderstorms off shore, but that is usually in the start of the summer season. Usually before April and after July, the weather is pretty tame. However, if you don't mind the rain (and lightning ), the only issue is the waves that kick up. They can average 4-6'. On the other hand, after the storm has passed, the water are as flat as glass.

2) Do you have the boating knowledge to go offshore? Local knowledge of the waterways as well as the inlets? Going in and out of inlets during incoming and outgoing tides are a different animal all together. I have gone out Ponce Inlet (which is relatively tame) during beautiful weather and have had to transverse 8' waves. Once out, it was great. but getting past the rocks and other boats was a little nervewracking. I have also come in with 12' waves and i was downright nervous. (read:scared). And that was after 10 years of doing it.

3) Do you have the equipment? Fishfinder? GPS/Chartplotter? Necessary safety gear? EPIRB? VHF radio? Deepsea fishing gear? Large net? Live well? Bait cleaning station? Fish box or large cooler? All I'm saying is that maybe an 18' wakeboard boat isn't really designed to do deepsea fishing. I hope your carpet is snap-out or you don't mind the blood stains.

Bottom line is, anyboat can be taken anywhere depending on the circumstances. 18' is big enough to go off shore. there are a ton of 18' fishing boat miles and miles off shore because that's what they were designed to do. Yours was designed to wake board behind. Trade boats with or go with a friend first to get your feet wet and see if it's something you want to try.

If you decide to go, let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back...just in case. Sorry about the wall of text.

Best of luck.
            2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

IMO, bay or near shore fishing definitely. Offshore no.

After a day in the salt make sure you flush the motor well on the hose, and wash every inch of it in soapy water and the boat will be fine for occasional salt water use. Extended or routine use and your hardware will start rusting, staining and falling off.
              2008 Sea-Pro SV1900CC with 150 Optimax

Comment

If near the outerbanks its ok on the inland side. I would be very affraid to take that boat on the open ocean. A smooth day can turn into 6' rollers real quick and that boat is not designed to deal with those. You may be ok but I wouldn't risk it.

If you do decide to put your boat in salt water make sure your flush the motor with fesh water asap. Rinse down the whole boat and get rid of any salt residue asap. Salt water is the greatest corrosive on earth, just look at the cars in NE Ohio to know that.

Good Luck!!!
                '77 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer
                Twin Merc-165 I6

Comment

Sure, it's the sinking part that's the risk.

Comment

Pay for a charter, you DO NOT have an ocean going vessel....

Comment

Originally posted by doodle View Post
                      I have a 2006 bayliner, 3.0l 135 hp mercruiser inboard motor. It's a wakeboarding boat. But my friend wants to go deep sea fishing... Was wondering if this would be a good idea and will salt ruin the engine as well. Will the boat sink? Have you done it before? Thanks in advance.

Where do you intend on taking your boat? Maybe find a local fisherman with you.
                      sigpic "Andrea C"

BOAT=Best Of All Times

"Everyday above ground is a good day"

Winterization=sneekers, jeans and a sweater.

Same Ship.....Different Day.

Comment

Define "go Into", with no offshore experience you boat might "go into" the ocean a different way than your trying to communicate.

That being said, I have been on an 18' fish and ski off shore. Fun?, sure if you are an adrenaline junkie and don't worry about your life.

In short, keep that on the fresh water and take a charter.
                        Your boat may be new, but I'm not making payments every time I go to the lake!
                        69' Hydroswift Hardtop 18' o/b
                        My restoration thread:
                        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....30#post2848330
                        89' Cajun Espirit 185 Travis edition
                        88' Johnson GT 150
                        sigpic

Comment

You can probably go deep sea fishing but you are probably
                          not coming back in that boat.

Do not go offshore with that boat. It was not designed for that use. Tell your friend to charter a boat.
                          1999 Hydra-Sports 230CC/2009 E-Tec 250 HP

Comment

If the question has to be asked, the answer has to be "no".

The answer is really about the boat pilot/captain. I say, "No"... And I'll be darned if someone can actually offer a better yes/no answer.

All good info above.

I know oceans well. 35 years and the inlets still make me feel like I am daring death sometimes. It's hard to sum it all up at once, but...

The smaller and less ocean-fit the boat is, then the more times you will be required to escape death.

The less experienced the captain, the less likely you'll be able to escape death.

Now consider the OP's question again.
                            Checkmate 2400BRX/Optimax 300xs
                            Alumacraft 17 w/ Merc 40 4S

Date an I/O, but marry an outboard!

Comment

Originally posted by Philster View Post

I know oceans well. 35 years and the inlets still make me feel like I am daring death sometimes. It's hard to sum it all up at once, but...

The less experienced the captain, the less likely you'll be able to escape death.[/I]
                              Down here most have been in the ocean in only an innertube. Fished half mile offshore in one. But... we have also entered an inlet with 2400HP and 60 feet of boat... my pulse rate went to 160. Once (some time ago, finally grew up) we exited St. Lucie Inlet in a 10 foot alum. craft with a '67 3hp motor and 2 pints of fuel.
                              sigpic "Andrea C"

BOAT=Best Of All Times

"Everyday above ground is a good day"

Winterization=sneekers, jeans and a sweater.

Same Ship.....Different Day.

Comment

Working...
                              X