keelshield vs keelguard

mojokim

Seaman
I was shopping at an outdoor retailer and saw these 2 keel protection products. They look similar. One is a bit cheaper, while the other offers more colors. Anybody have experience with either or both?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: keelshield vs keelguard

They work, if installed right, on the right hull. There are other brands available also.<br /><br />Use the search feature above, and you will have lots of posts to read.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have both..one on my boat, one on a SeaDoo. I can't remember which is the self adhering variety and which is applied with an adhesive. There is a difference...the self-adhering variety should indicate that it is NOT recommended for Personal Water Craft.<br /><br />I have had very good success with both. The self adhering variety needs to be perimeter sealed with a (supplied) clear silicon caulking compound. Each season I check the seal and touch it up a bit with a marine silicon caulk. Note that my boat is in the water from May til October. On the Seadoo (the one with separately applied adhesive)...the bond seems to be better and has never needed any attention. The PWC however is only in the water during use since it is otherwise on a lift. I think this is the real differnce in performance. Both have been on for three years, 2004 will be the fourth year, and I think they are well worth the money...particularly if you're able to get them for 40-50% of retail value on eBay.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was at Cabelas a few weeks ago and noticed they had several opened and resealed packages of Keelguard in their Bargain Cave. This is usually where things end up that are purchased and then returned. I believe they were priced somewhere around $75. As spring gets closer, they will probably get sucked up quick. If interested you may want to give them a call.