windshield replacement

tpassmore

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone know who can fabricate a w/s for a 91 Glastron 1900? called original glass mfr and they haven't made boat glass for years (discontinued product), Called local Glastron dealer and they didn't know. guess w/s aren't supposed to break. and because its curved, most auto glass companies cannot make one. :(

bekosh

Lieutenant
Re: windshield replacement

Is this what your boat looks like?
1991Glastron021.jpg

If your windshield is like this, your best bet is probably to make new panels out of Lexan or other brand polycarbonate. If the metal frames are intact, it's fairly easy to do your self. Or look up a local place that does plexiglass work to make it for you.

I replaced the passenger side and center panel of mine after one of my supports broke and the glass shattered, while I was climbing up onto the front deck.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

If the glass is flat with a curved bottom you could make a pattern out of cardboard and take it to a glass company that makes, or can order, safety glass and have them make the piece. You will need to know the thickness of the original.

Does the frame disassemble? They can advise you on the sealer to use if the rubber gasket is damaged.

I did the same thing for a windshield on one of my project boats.

tpassmore

Seaman Apprentice

i called multi glass companies and no one wants to mess with a template. except Taylormade and heard they're a rip off. besides they want the frame and im not willing to send it out. but heard polycarb or lexan are good products and can be molded, jsut have to produce enough heat. funny the insurance company won't recommend anyone. wonder how they make an estimate.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

That's too bad. Southern glass, here in Lakeland Fl., made a complete set of window glass, front and sides, for me, just from a template.

Of course, I had to be responsible for the fit, as the tempered glass cannot be trimmed.

I am not sure what you mean by "a rip off". If no one else is willing to do the work, and if they do a good job, that matches your template, then how can they be ripping you off? Them wanting the frames is a different matter. Are they local, so you could take your boat to them, so they could make the template?

I guess I am a "purist", I wouldn't be happy using Lexan and Polycarb will end up looking like the headlights on 8 yr. old cars -cloudy.

tpassmore

Seaman Apprentice

Rip-off is ambiguous. thats the warning i got from another. not sure what they meant. but not willing to send them my frame. if i could find a local willing to fabricate tempered glass id go for it...and there are national glass companies here.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

You don't indicate where you are located, which would be helpful, but have you tried looking for boat junk yards. There are a number of them in Florida. There is one not far from me, I will try to get his information for you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Bob, you ever heard of a "we don't really want the job price"? That's the kind of prices Taylor has been giving out. I mean REALLY bad. Thousands. I wish someone would come up with an affordable alternative because I feel bad for all the boaters that come on here looking for windshield parts.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I understand what you are saying, but I haven't had the experience even when working on my old boats. However, it does help when there are as many boat junk yards and used parts dealers as we have here in Central Florida.

Maybe I should open a business as a "Parts Locator" for you guys that are less fortunate.

tpassmore

Seaman Apprentice

Bob, i remember when my best friend moved back to Florida and said "gotta have a boat. everybody in Florida owns a boat" he did buy one then 5 years later brought to Texas where it rotted in the alley. Here in north texas everyone who owns a boat, except me, drives a newer model. guess they sell or auction their old one. not many salvage yards here. send me a few of your favorite junkyards links. sure would be nice to find an original replacement.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I was just at my local marine salvage yard, and there were a number of curved windshields there. I thought of this post. You may want to give them a call, tell them what you're looking for, and if they have it, it may be worth it to have it shipped. Don's Marine Salvage, 5601 126th Avenue North Clearwater, FL 33760-4626 - (727) 576-8577 Open on Fridays until 3:30 est.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I'll be out and about tomorrow and get the information on a guy that is really helpful and friendly.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

What part of N. Texas are you in?

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

. not many salvage yards here. send me a few of your favorite junkyards links. sure would be nice to find an original replacement.

I talked to this guy, Kevin Melito, that runs a rep[air shop for older boats and engines. He isn't fancy but he is very helpful, and I have even listened tom him explain to people on the phone how to repair systems on their engines so they wouldn't have to bring them in. He is always busy and seem to be agreeable to help./

I told him that you were looking for a windshield for an older boat asnd he agreed that if you called him he would try to help. He has a LOT of older boats in his storage yard that he lets people look thru for parts and charges a fair price.

His business is K&M Marine, at 863-409-8444. Tell him Bob from the Lakeland Sail and Power Squadron sent you. We try to help the area marine business when we think they deserve it, and it would let him know we are referring people to him.

If this doesn't pan out I will contact the glass company that did my windows and see if they would be agreeable to working with you. They are not a national company, they are in the business to make money and help people. If they were to agree to work with you, you need to understand that the finished product, if it conforms with your template, would be your responsibility. We can discuss process if it becomes necessary.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

So did you get the information I furnished? Did it do any good? Let me know if I need to call my glass guy.