Square pontoons......help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

he4givs

Cadet
Hello... I am trying to turn a 20ft pontoon into a bowfishing rig...but must get it up higher on top of the water... so... I thought that square pontoons would be better. Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on the where, when, what, or anything about me getting some square pontoons? Thanks so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: SQUARE PONTOONS......HELP!

Don't know about the square logs, but larger diameter ones will certainly get you higher. What size logs do you have now?

he4givs

Cadet

They are 22" tall and 20" wide.....

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

why not build a raised platform? also sullysbowfishing.com might be of help.

he4givs

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not trying to get it higher for shooting... but higher up on top of the water for swallow travel... Thanks...Jesus Bless You....Dan

Capt. T

Seaman

Why not make a tri-toon out of it? <br /><br />If you add another log, same diameter in between the two existing that will give you additional boyancy. How much depends on how long you make it. <br /><br />Just make sure to leave enough space between the middle log and your engine so you have clean water flow past your lower unit.<br /><br />If you search for pontoons on these forums you will find a number of people who have already done this or similar.<br /><br />Good Luck.

he4givs

Cadet

A third log is an option.... and something I guess I need to look into. But... I would like to have two square logs instead of three oval logs... more drag with three logs... but... I do need to look into that. Thanks for your imput. Jesus Bless You....Dan

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If you get something in the area of 26-28" Logs,(Round, not "U" shaped), you will sit plenty high enough in the water. Only about 1/3 of the logs will be submerged, giving you good height. But the big logs are costly!

he4givs

Cadet

Good idea... I have a pontoon shop here on lake murry, SC looking at his salvage pontoons to see what he has. He said that a third log was the way to go... and that it would even go faster. BUT.... your right... it may be too costly to do it. Well see.... thanks for your imput.... Jesus Bless you....Dan

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

I'm totally NOT serious here, but how about adapting some surplus pontoons from a float equipped airplane, which when "on step" (planing) would draft hardly any water at all. Could go with an inboard racing prop setup where only the lower part was in the water. Or just hang a 300 hp airplane engine with propeller on the back? Better yet a turboprop. A 70mph pontoon boat/bowhunting platform! Ultimate air boat? Watch out bass boats! At speed you might only need 3" or less of water!<br /><br />I get so carried away sometimes.... :D <br /><br />I don't know much about all this, but I somehow like the idea of the square logs also for some reason. Seems to me the bouyancy will be noticed without drafting as much. Significantly? I have no idea! A boat will displace its own weight in water when not planing. To ride higher make sure you're as light as you can reasonably get it.

he4givs

Cadet

I would like to make it into the ultimate air boat by putting a fan on it. Not as big as some airboats, but big enough to make it go across swallow weedy places without having to use the regular motor. I always think there is a better way for everything....and this should be one of those things that can be changed for the better. Thank You for your imput.... Jesus Bless You.... Dan

Desgroseilliers

Recruit

A little company near Chiefland,Fl.makes square pontoons (fiberglass)for all their boats and they are exactly what you are looking for.I am a retired welder and this winter I am building my square pontoons out of 1/8"high carbon steel,26"x 24".I live on the Gulf coast,Fl and we have shallow water with sand bars,oyster bars and rocks ! The easiest way for you to go is by having someone weld STRAKES on your pontoons.A strake is an aluminum
angle bar,4"x4"or 5"x5"or 6"x6"depending on the diameter of your pontoons,this will not however make you float higher at a standstill but will make the boat plane on the go and may help to keep you off the bottom.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Never seen any square pontoons around my parts, but you might be able to use some cubed plastic dock floats either as replacement of your pontoons or place them in between the existing pontoons to give you a bit of extra bouyancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.