Best towable for young/reserved riders?

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've had two inflatables since we started tubing and hate the second one. The first was one we picked up cheap, under $100. It was a triangular shaped two-person unit that was fat in the front and tapered towards the rear. (The exact opposite of what I see now.) It was great because it didn't submarine, it didn't spray water in your face and it was stable either in or outside of the wake. It blew a seam after I put it abused one weekend with some more aggressive riders and pulled it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to hard. (We were whipping the boys as you would normally do but I was purposefully trying to flingt them. I succeeded but we ripped the floor seam out and ruined the tube.)
The tube I have now is again a two person triangular shaped unit but it stinks! It sprays water like crazy because the pull harness is attached to the bottom of the nose and it digs in. It bounces like crazy unless the water is glass smooth and it nosedives and floods the compartments, requiring us to stop and bail it out. No floor drain or anything.
I need to but a new tube but at $200+ I am hesitant to run out and buy whatever. I've looked at the Vipers and similar tubes but have read negative reviews of those as well.
My kids like to sit IN a tube as opposed to laying down on one or riding on one. Anybody out there have suggestions? I'd like any and all input.

UFM82

kgraber

Recruit
Re: Best towable for young/reserved riders?

I have the HO Sports Formula 2. My 6yo loves it and can't get enough. It does spray some water in your face though. It's very stable and takes a fair amount of work to get it to flip but you can flip it.

I just purchased a 2-person Big Mable! My 6 & 9 year old love it infinitely more than the single tube we had before! It's way stable, tows easy (forward and backward), has lots of handholds! My 6 year old submarined it once, only because she moved too far forward on it! It's got a nice back rest and some side support. You can YouTube Big Mable and see some vids! I'm very happy with it even tho I was originally concerned that it didn't have 'well' seating!

superbenk

Commander

Our kids (4 & 7) just went tubing for the first time this past week while we were on vacation & they loved it! Now I'm looking for a tube they can enjoy along with my wife (her first time tubing too). Basically, we're looking for a easy, beginner tube for all of us to play with for awhile while the kids grow up. We definitely don't want to spend much at this point because I have no idea how fast the family will progress with tubing.

jp10

Seaman

Big Mable, the triple seat version. Sturdy and loads of fun.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

It may be too late, but I would head over to your local Sports Authority/Dicks Sporting Goods type stores as quick as possible. They discount their diplay units at the end of the season sometimes as much as 70%. I've been pulling tubers a long time and if you've got young ones, look for a tube that has inflatable floors (and/or cushions they sit on). This is a must for anytube I look at now. The last tube I got was at Dicks sporting goods. Originally $300 for a two person triangular tube with inflatable floor (don't recall the brand), paid $75 bucks!!

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

In part, it depends on how many kids want to ride. We often go out with as many as eight grand kids/friends under 13. "My turn, my turn" Oldest son, trolling through Costco found a three3 passenger tube with secure sitting. Don't know the manufacturer but if you look around there are quite a few. Try Google, look at Sevylor, Overtons, etc. About 300 bucks for a good one. The kids love it. They would ride all day.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey,

What do you guys think of this one? Its a Seadoo 3 person tube with "inflatable floors". I have not had time to test it out just yet but I'm hoping someone on here will have some feedback! Thanks.

41YMEBDR7CL._SS400_.jpg

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anybody???

Hey,

What do you guys think of this one? Its a Seadoo 3 person tube with "inflatable floors". I have not had time to test it out just yet but I'm hoping someone on here will have some feedback! Thanks.

41YMEBDR7CL._SS400_.jpg

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

This is very close in design to the tubes I use and I think you will love it. IMO it is one of the best designs out there. A really positive attribute is the narrow front. I have "round tubes" and they really have a lot of drag. They are noticalby slower and harder to tow and aharder to sling outside the wake. This design rides primarily on it tails, so it is really easy to whip around. The seating some what forces the riders to sit back, and I think this really helps to stop Nose dives or submarining on start up. Finally, the cushioned seats are the best. I had a two man traingular tube like this that did not have inflatable floors, my riders would quit because their butt was sore vs being worn out from a good time. I improvised with throw cushions, but they moved around too much. The only negative I see is that the cover is not a 100% cover. This is pretty minor, but in my experience, a "full" cover lasts a little longer. If yo uhave not purchased this yet, I would check your local Dicks Sporting Goods or Sports Authority to see if they had any display models at heavy discounts, that where I get ours.