Water in the ski storage

bdanie

Cadet
I have a 1989 bayliner capri 1950cx with the 5.0 and cobra outdrive.After taking it out today my ski storage in the floor was filled almost to the top with water. I sat ancored up for most of the day fishing and relaxing and the water was really choppy. I got all the water drained but i was just wondering if this is normal since i was ancored up for awhile in choppy water and didnt use my bilge pump. Ive had it out a few times this year and this is the first time i have noticed it. Any thoughts?

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water in the ski storage

The ski locker and the bilge are usually separated by a screened opening located towards the back of the locker. This is so that water can drain from the locker back to the bilge. However, if the bilge level is high enough the water will show up in the locker as well.

Did you take on lots of water today due to the chop and/or entering the boat (swimmers, etc)? If so, then it sounds normal. If not, then it sounds like you have a serious leakage problem around your outdrive.

Also, sounds like your bilge needs a float switch too so that it kicks on automatically when the water reaches a certain level.

bdanie

Cadet

Thanks..... I took on some water from entering the boat but i didn't think it was that much....I bought the boat in the spring it runs real good but i've never owned or been in the boat that puts out wake like this one does. I know when slowing down sometimes i get water from the wake that comes up over the stern. So i think that may be where i got alot of the water. on this boat with that kind of motor does that seem normal for the water to do that? Or should i trim the motor up some? i have it trimmed all the way down right now.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Trim sounds fine, but I have the same hull as you (1988 maxum) and have yet to get water over the stern, it should be pretty hard to do. Top of the skil locker on that boat is a heck of a lot of water! If you are consistently getting the wake over the back of the boat when slowing down then you need to either take a little more time slowing down (don't chop the throttle) and/or you have some seriously waterlogged foam that is weighing the boat down and it is riding lower in the water than it should. I am guessing that is the case. Extra weight will contribute to a bigger wake too (which you mentioned).

I am guessing you trailer it. If so you could park it, fill it with water and see if it comes out around your outdrive to see if it leaking there.

bdanie

Cadet

I'm Guessing the only way to fix that is to take the flooring out and refoam the boat? I'm taking it to get regular service done this week so I'm gonna have them check for any spots where it may leak around the outdrive. When pulling it out of the water though i have never seen any water comming out around the outdrive. I'm thinking this problem may ground the boat

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Water probably won't leak casually around the drive, it would require pressure while the area is submerged. More like seeping instead of running water.

Another possibility is a cooling hose in the engine compartment dripping. I actually found one doing this in my boat a few days after my first run. I inspected everything on the first launch, but didn't catch this originally.