motor change= listing left

dukerdog

Cadet
i just changed outboard motor on my boat. went from 1969 55hp johnson to a 1971 100hp evinrude and now it lists badly to the left, have adjusted trim tab fully to the right as it was pulling right without much change. when i pulled the 55 off there were two fender washers between transom and starboard side of mount,should i put them back under there? any help please

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: motor change= listing left

Is it listing while sitting still or only when under way?

dukerdog

Cadet

listing only underway, would listing left make it pull right. checked this morning and cavitation plate is fush with bottom of boat.motor had hydra-foil on it before mounting on this boat, could putting it back on help? boat is a 1976 crestliner nordic 17.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Right hand props provide torque to the left. This can cause some listing. other than that, check the hull with a straight edge to make sure it is true.

I suppose it is possible that the hull could deform under power, causing the list.

dukerdog

Cadet

re-read my first post, the two fender washers sat on top of the transom under the starboard side of mount.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I don't see how fender washers could change anything.Take a hold of the motor and shake it front to back and observe the transom.Accellerate briskly and watch the transom for flex.Is the boat rated for 100 hp?I don't think the foil will help I would only use it in desperation.
Is the steering wheel(helm) on the right(starboard) side?What size prop?
Does the list start right away or only when you approach above the 55s speed?
Have you tried adjusting the trim.Does the boat get up on the water or does it seem to lay down like its glued to to the surface?

dukerdog

Cadet

helm is on starboard side. boat rated for 120hp. transom does have a slight amount of flex when i shake it. not sure of prop size as i cant find stamping stateing size there ia a number on rear face of inner hub but i dont know to crossreferance to dia and pitch, but it is underproped as i am only getting 4200rpm at wot. am going to try a 13 3/4x 15 prop tonight. boat is not getting up on water as well as it should. have not adjusted trim just trim tab. will try this tonight also, should i trim up or down?