tilt steering mechanism part needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwill51

Recruit
I have a 1991 Crestliner with Morse Tilt Steering. In the need of a replacement part or the whole unit. Because of the age, Teleflex says I need to replace the whole steering system - Tilt mechanism, helm and cables. I'd hate to replace the whole system when its working well, except for a part in the tilt.

The part needed is a plastic black X piece that sits between 2 U joints inside the tilt unit. The plastic piece has worn on a couple edges and has difficulty catching on the U joints when turning. I attached a couple pictures. I'd be interested in knowing if there is either the part or a replacement tilt or straight steering unit I can use with the older helm. I'd hate to replace the whole system because a little black clump of plastic has a couple worn edges. Would be nice to know the manufactor of the piece of plastic if anyone knows.

Attachments

• IMG00123-20100703-1324.jpg
    IMG00123-20100703-1324.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00124-20100703-1325.jpg
    IMG00124-20100703-1325.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00125-20100703-1327.jpg
    IMG00125-20100703-1327.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 2

carp1211

Recruit
Well...This is a long shot but I am going to try. I have a 91 Malibu Mystere with the same steering unit made by Morse. My plastic piece is actually missing an entire tooth. This makes my steering have a 90 degree play. Were you able to find this part? Or did you replace the entire steering unit? Including the cable? The cable is the part I fear since it will be a pain to thread through the underbelly of my boat. I will hold my breath until I hear back from you.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Carp: If you've not seen them please review our forum rules, they'll ask you to please not post into threads over 90 days old unless you're the original poster.

In the meantime, you'll probably need to replace your helm. Typically the cable and the helm are separate units.

Jeepfreebee

Recruit
I had the same issue with the black plastic piece in the tilt " Great News" I looked all over the Internet and stopped by several small and large chain stores. No one had because it was discontinued. Finally was thinking I had to replace the tilt which meant I also had to replace the helm steering it attached to. But I found a shop that had the original OEM tilt column new in the box... Yes brand new tilt... This guy buys out old shops and warehouses when they go out of business. I attacked pictures. This guy is in his late 70's with a hug warehouse. Problem is he has no web site and doesn't list much on eBay. It's called Earls, or Marine Sales & Repair 30134 S river road Harrison Township Mi 48045. Phone 586.468.0937. I saw 6 more just like it when I got mine. $150 cash. If you call ask for him... This place is really cool with lots of discontinued stuff. I also found two cabinet locks that matched mine for my 94 Baha cruiser. Also the side vents I needed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member
Glad you found what you needed Jeep, but its beem 6years since jwill started this topic.

And over a year since carp posted his reply.

Neither have been back.

Closed.

Please aboid posting to inactive topics, after 90days w no new topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.